ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MBP to HDMI on tv sound problem

Megane 225 F1
Something isn't right.

I connected my 2011 MBP to my tv using HDMI (mini display > converter > hdmi cable) but there is no sound. My mbp is picking up my tv in the output oart of the sound menu in system preferences but says it has no controls.

What am I doing wrong?

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I don't think macbook pro mini display port outputs sound I think its only video, similar to a vga/dvi ports. run a 3.5mm wire from headphone port into tv, or you can get an adapter as your mbp has optical audio via fibre optic cable also in the headphone port

Seat Ibiza
I don't think macbook pro mini display port outputs sound I think its only video, similar to a vga/dvi ports. run a 3.5mm wire from headphone port into tv, or you can get an adapter as your mbp has optical audio via fibre optic cable also in the headphone port

Yeah your right! It's video only.

Megane 225 F1
It's a moshi connect and on the box says "Thunderbolt compliant- supports digital surround sound output".

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
System preferences - sound - select HDMI as output.

Oops didn't read.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
New MBP's support sound, yours is newer, I've even had this confirmed by apple guys in store. Something-sa-is-no-rightsa (sorry star wars is on in the background)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Just picking up on what Tom said, i think mirroring is something to do with it. Switch to an extended desktop. Christ, I had this problem literally two days ago and I think it was something stupid like that.

Megane 225 F1
It's ok I got it working now.

Not sure what I did, but it's working.

Edit: I do know what I did, I took it out and put it back in again 20 mins later.

Thanks guys :)

On a similar subject are there any sensible priced HDMI - Display port adapters that don't cost the earth. From what I can see the best they manage is 720p and are in the region of £150.

Toying with moving my gaming junk out of the lounge and rather than buying another TV connecting the PS3 and Xbox to the mac made more sense.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
On a similar subject are there any sensible priced HDMI - Display port adapters that don't cost the earth. From what I can see the best they manage is 720p and are in the region of £150.

Toying with moving my gaming junk out of the lounge and rather than buying another TV connecting the PS3 and Xbox to the mac made more sense.

I didnt think there were any such converters for HDMi to Thunderbolt on the new iMacs?

Not to thunderbolt, I'm talking about display port. Units such as the Kanex XD, which only work on 27" mac (something to do with native resolution values)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'd read somewhere that it does when I was looking around.

Nope. Even on the Kanex site the new iMacs aint listed as compatible due to the thunderbolt port replacing the older mini-display port. Kanex are working on a new converter but they have been for a while and no word as yet of a release date.

M135i
I had this issue.

Are you using VLC media player?

In VLC on one of the options along the top (I think audio) there's an option to select output sound through HDMI.

Having said that, dunno what would have happened to get it to work when you plugged it back in again....

Megane 225 F1
I had this issue.

Are you using VLC media player?

In VLC on one of the options along the top (I think audio) there's an option to select output sound through HDMI.

Having said that, dunno what would have happened to get it to work when you plugged it back in again....

I had to do that after as well. I was testing it on iTunes first.

I know you've fixed this now but mine did this, you just go into your sound settings and change the output :)

I had done that but it still didn't work. Unpluggin and plugging back in worked a treat :D