ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mazda RX-7's

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
My friend set me one researching these for him.

Hell they can look quite cool, I was never a fan but I'm really warming to them.

Has anyone got any good photo's of ones which aren't over the top?

A bit like Gaz's old one.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
I love them.

jtp2.jpg

A06_9cuQ_1.jpg

A02_0J9j_1.jpg

IMG_5615-Edit_D6K3_0.jpg

Aggressive_FD_Rx7_400HP_3.jpg

319-640x360.jpg

816-640x360.jpg

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Not very economical & have heard horror stories about reliability (I work with Jap cars)

Certainly with the RX8's which is the same idea being a w**kell motor they seem to start having problems with the rotor tips beyond about 40K & need rebuilds.

330i. E30 Touring.
Not very economical & have heard horror stories about reliability (I work with Jap cars)

Certainly with the RX8's which is the same idea being a w**kell motor they seem to start having problems with the rotor tips beyond about 40K & need rebuilds.

Uh-oh.

Malice is going to cry.

Clio 172
There used to be a super charged one near where I lived, sounded like a jet fighter and went like one as well. I think they look awsome but the rotary engines can need rebuilding as low as 40k or can goto 100k depends how they have been looked after. We won't touch anything with a rotary engine as a px unless its super cheap or has receipts to show the engine work has been done.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
TBH rebuilds are only £1500 with 3 year warranties so it's hardly life ending.

Clio 172
TBH rebuilds are only £1500 with 3 year warranties so it's hardly life ending.

I worked at a Mazda dealer than did RX8 rebuilds and £4000 was nearer the mark. People paid it as well, they did well over ten in four months.

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
4k for a rebuild on a rx8? You can buy a rx8 crate motor for 3k LOL!

rebuild is a piece of piss, don't go to Hayward rotary for anything their 3 year warrantee is dog s**t.

they are meant to drink oil it's part of the combustion process there for isn't an issue or a problem.

40k is bulls**t also, a crap build can last 5 miles lol! I have seen fc's with over 100k on them, seriously are the easiest thing ever to rebuild, once clean it takes 1-2 hours to rebuild.... Then a couple hours to stick it back in.

i built and ran rx7's my personal one was running 500bhp and have seen people running more power... They aren't really every day cars, when tuned atleast, they are spastic noisey compared to any other car... However the chassis is amazing and handles better than most other cars when settup correctly!

Watch out for knocks over bumps (pillow balls going £180 a side iirc) don't buy a uk version they rust sooooo bad.

check chassis legs in engine bay, seen soooo many bent ones.

Dont listen to people who say they need a rebuild after 40 or 60k they have no idea what they are talking about and have heard it down the pub or off their mate who's cousins uncles brothers best mates sisters boyfriend who had one.

they are very sensitive, they need to be tuned correctly, I would recommend Jaydee or blitz boy to do the tuning, never use Hayward rotary for tuning or engine builds lol. Avoid atomic Rex also.

apart from that there isn't much to worry about.

home done rebuild will cost around 1k for parts for a seal and tip rebuild. Watch the videos online and anyone could rebuild them....

Listerine & Poledo
Mazda made some great cars in the mid-90's, where did it all go wrong :(

<3 RX-7, even the ones with the full manga-style body dressings.

Did someone say a supercharged rotary? Good god that must have sounded ridiculous....want!!!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
superchargers have been done, not many people do it, as tbh you can get bat s**t numbers from a turbo and rx7's flow so much exhaust gas that you get very little lag on big turbos with the right spec's.

few supercharged rx8's in the uk

edit* never seen a screw type supercharger on one so u dont get much noise.

Listerine & Poledo
That's what I thought, isn't the norm to scrap the sequential turbos and replace them with just one massive snail?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
That's what I thought, isn't the norm to scrap the sequential turbos and replace them with just one massive snail?

yup can just see my turbo here... The shock turret had to be notched to fit it...

39132c6c.jpg

How it left me
dc72623d.jpg

5dd3f2f6.jpg

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
f**king hell Gaz, I wasn't aware your Rex looked THAT good! No wonder you think they are the best shape out of Japan, and seeing yours, I can see why! Stunning mate!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Genuine question here (don't flame me), why is it people some to run MAHOOSIVE wheels on these???

Don't get me wrong, they're one of few cars where they actually look far better on huge wheels, but on most cars people steer away due to adverse affects on handling etc...

Like here:

dc72623d.jpg

Malice's wheels actually look quite small, despite probably being the "right" size on any other car

Where as here:

7455953282_3b02123879_c.jpg

Gaz's (imo) looks more at home on the huge wheels, but on any other car this isn't the case.

Is it just because I'm used to seeing internet shots on huge wheels so I prefer them? Or is it because of the mental power?

Enlighten me you jap people

My wheels are lighter than the tyres and air in them, they're not going to have an adverse effect on the handling! They're hardly huge, they're only 18". In fact, mine handled worse on the 17s it came on. Some RX7s came with 17s out of the factory too.

Some people like smaller wheels, some like bigger.