ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mazda Roadster RS.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
So due to spending all my money and effort elsewhere at the moment, I needed a downsize/downgrade from my MK5 GTI. Now nothing will ever compare to that thing but after going on a track day in it, I wanted something more suited.

Enter this, my Mazda. Yes "oh no another MX5". Since I had the money to buy a decent one, I could wait for exactly what I wanted. As it turned out, this thing was already sitting on eBay just waiting for me to snap it up!

It's a late 2008 import with no rust or rot anywhere to be seen. It's also an RS, a Jap only spec which comes with: Bilstein suspension, Strut braces, Bose Sound system, Air Con, 6Speed Manual box, LSD and a 7.5k rev limit.

Since owning it, I've binned the broken Bose audio For an Alpine unit with Focal 8" components. I also fitted a set of HSD Dualtechs, giving me both height and damping adjustment. A hard top was a bit of a must if I was going to daily it, so managed to find a lighter Mk1 Style roof. Finally, a set of BBS' off a BMW E30 and a sports exhaust have finished it for now.

Next on the list will be overhauling the brakes, fitting a nicer steering wheel and who knows.

15538853827_087c5980d6_c.jpg
RS by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

15538143039_0e06f4a69e_c.jpg

15104648133_e1a45fbd37_c.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
pleasant. I'd have kept /refurbed the OEM suspension though, as it was 50% of what made the RS not just-another-roadster.
the other 50% being the 500rpm you have over other S-VTs.

Brakes - Change out your fluid, lines, get some un-drilled/grooved discs and some gritty pads and you'll be reet.
Wheels - they work well on it, nice! :smile:
Air-con & Hard top? - Welcome to Club MX-Baller :wink:

Another that likes it. Just don't add stickers.
Definitely that ^
Or weld your diff
or dildo the gearshift
or slam it silly...if you do that, you may as well have bought a shagged out Mk.1....or an MGF

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
pleasant. I'd have kept /refurbed the OEM suspension though, as it was 50% of what made the RS not just-another-roadster.
the other 50% being the 500rpm you have over other S-VTs.

Brakes - Change out your fluid, lines, get some un-drilled/grooved discs and some gritty pads and you'll be reet.
Wheels - they work well on it, nice! :smile:
Air-con & Hard top? - Welcome to Club MX-Baller :wink:

Definitely that ^
Or weld your diff
or dildo the gearshift
or slam it silly...if you do that, you may as well have bought a shagged out Mk.1....or an MGF

Don't worry, looks wise, it probably isnt going to change. Although, I would like a little splitter or something.

Interior wise, I'd like a nardi or Personal wheel. Just because they are nice to drive with. Gearknob is fine ;). I have to say, the Factory Bilsteins on there looked new. And as for the ride, it was sublime. However the HSD's are the tits! They are so comfy on all surfaces yet do not allow a hint of bodyroll, the added advantage of dampening adjustment is spot on as well. Plus the advantage of them not adjusting height via the spring is, you never lose your suspension travel or mess up your spring rate. I would highly recommend them to anyone!

Brakes will be getting Silicone fluid (Had it in the Golf, made a world of difference when pushing hard!) and braded lines when I can. Obviousy as for discs, may not even go grooved but at least get some nice pads. Since its now a daily as well.

This was my daily for a while, currently on ebay.

15659053646_ce3463fda7_c.jpg
Alfa 156 Veloce by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151464116589

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Sweet car man!

Are the HSDs good on the daily commute?

I wanted monopro's for the Silvia but I don't think I'd benefit from the better spec ones tbh and they're £200+ more than the dualtechs.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Sweet car man!

Are the HSDs good on the daily commute?

I wanted monopro's for the Silvia but I don't think I'd benefit from the better spec ones tbh and they're £200+ more than the dualtechs.
The Dualtechs seem to be all I need. Adjusting them helped me a lot on road, I could probably do with making them softer at the rear. But even so, its nice not having crashy/bouncy cheap coilovers on the thing! They ride very well, and coupled with the factory fitted upper/lower strut braces it feels very stiff and composed. It's a little cliche but it is probably the closes to a Go-Kart you can get.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
The Dualtechs seem to be all I need. Adjusting them helped me a lot on road, I could probably do with making them softer at the rear. But even so, its nice not having crashy/bouncy cheap coilovers on the thing! They ride very well, and coupled with the factory fitted upper/lower strut braces it feels very stiff and composed. It's a little cliche but it is probably the closes to a Go-Kart you can get.

They sound decent, I'll probably go for them too. Like you, a set of basic but decent coilovers is all I need!

172, Eunos Rs Turbo
I do like a nice RS and yours looks spot on, good choice of ride height and wheel combo although I think it may look better with the centre caps fitted.

I'd recommend OE disc's with Axiss ultimate pads, they work just as well on the road as the do on track but are a little dusty.