ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maxxis MA-Z1's

Audi A5
Afternoon all,

has anyone used these for road or track? Got them on the car atm, and I'm wondering how they compare to tyres like Federal RSR's or Yoko AD08's

Talk to me.

Bobby

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've used them before on the road, they're pretty good. Not used them on track but I've heard reports of them standing up to abuse well and not going off. They use them for drifting before they stay so predictable but with a smoking additive

Audi A5
Sound quite good then. I've got a track day at Bedford in feb and I was thinking of trying to get some AD08's before but I might just try these now.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I had them as Dan said and I'd consider them in future. . AD08's though were awesome on the Trophy ;)

WRX
@Adam G

if I remember rightly you've had these and RSR's on track to compare?
Correct!
Good road tyre as they will last forever but they don't handle that well really. Track? No thanks lol, these are not track tyres. The drift ones I can't see being any better, as they will be made to smoke. Once you've tried a proper track tyre, these won't appear that good but for the money, you can't complain. I would imagine that Chi's car had a good suspension setup if they appeared good to Dan.

Audi A5
I know these will never compare to a proper track tyres like r888's, A048 etc. what I'm trying to figure out is what their like compared to track/road tyres like AD08's, RSR's. I've decided to go for the 'one tyre does all' route rather than having to sets of wheels.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
If it were me I'd get a cheap set of wheels and some track rubber...
AD08s I'd rate on track and the road. Maxxis did squeal a lot IMO

WRX
I know these will never compare to a proper track tyres like r888's, A048 etc. what I'm trying to figure out is what their like compared to track/road tyres like AD08's, RSR's. I've decided to go for the 'one tyre does all' route rather than having to sets of wheels.

I'd only class them as a reasonable road tyre to be honest, at a wet Silverstone they were awful. They were ok on the rear on dry track but there's far better road tyres out there. I guess you're saying that you just want a tyre that can do road and a few track days. Personally I don't like track tyres for road use, as the extra road noise can be slightly annoying and without getting on my soapbox, you'd be driving way above sensibly to feel that you absolutely need track tyres on the road. With British weather, I also thinks it makes sense to have a slightly wet biased road tyre. PZero Neros were far better on track. All depends on how old you are and how you drive on the road though Bobby. I use my my Toyo R1Rs as my road tyres as they have better wet capability and are a bit quieter than RSRs. I liked how Chi's Trophy went on track with his Yokos.

Audi A5
Yeah exactly a tyre that's good for everyday driving and can stand up on track, I know the AD08's will suit these requirments fine, I guess another way of putting it is, will the AD08's make a noticeable difference to the MA-Z1's on track?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Yeah exactly a tyre that's good for everyday driving and can stand up on track, I know the AD08's will suit these requirments fine, I guess another way of putting it is, will the AD08's make a noticeable difference to the MA-Z1's on track?

Definitely yes IMO..

WRX
I've only ever been a passenger with AD08s but I would imagine that they would be far better as they are a genuine track tyre. I'm not knocking the MA-Z1 as a well priced road tyre but for Maxxis to pitch them as a track tyre is pushing it a bit IMO. I'd only buy them again for road use, on a car that was mildly sporty that I might occassionally give it some but I wanted the tyres to last on - something like a Mondeo ST. The tread design is a mismatch to me, they look like a wet tread but the compound is too hard. They're really just like a T1R but a bit stiffer compound.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Have a look at the Nankang NS2R, think I will be trying these next year when RSRs are shot.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've not tried 888's but have tried rsr's and ado8's on the Clio on track. IMO the maxxis felt a better tyre

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If its the same ones that were on chi's white Clio I drove then yep. They were very very good