ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matthew's BMW Z4 Sport (2 litre content)

See I don't understand the 2.0 hating. It's a cheap way into a cracking drive? No one moans about an MX-5 and it's power. If anything it's a great idea for his first RWD?

Exactly Gally. The Mx5 is the best thing since sliced bread, with 50bhp less.

Come on the drive on the 24th - would be nice to have a look at it.

Ill have a look at my diary Jim.

Sorry bud, but I too feel you've compromised in the wrong department!
I won't harp on about it, but it has to be said.

Apart from that, lovely. They look like M sport seats to me? What extras did you get?

Yep, it's the M Sport one, so wheels, steering wheel, seats and suspension!

It's ace.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Not sure. Probably over dramatised the 'no need for sensors' remark. Car in work has the most annoying parking sensors in the world, the type that makes you cringe when you put it in reverse, sure yours will be fine lol.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
See I don't understand the 2.0 hating. It's a cheap way into a cracking drive? No one moans about an MX-5 and it's power. If anything it's a great idea for his first RWD?

Agree, but the reason no-one moans about the MX5 is because its not available from the factory with more power. The Z4 is available from the factory with a load more power and you can never have enough power! I realise I sound a little like Clarkson with this comment, ppooweeerrrr.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Looks a cracking car Matt!

I think the engine in this is the successor to the one in my old 318? If so, lets hope they made some significant improvements as it's the most unreliable car I've ever owned lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Agree, but the reason no-one moans about the MX5 is because its not available from the factory with more power. The Z4 is available from the factory with a load more power and you can never have enough power! I realise I sound a little like Clarkson with this comment, ppooweeerrrr.

The more I think about it the more I disagree. I'm all for flagship or nothing but this isn't a Z4M it's still a Z4. It actually makes moresense to me to buy the 2.0l because it suits my circumstances better.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
The more I think about it the more I disagree. I'm all for flagship or nothing but this isn't a Z4M it's still a Z4. It actually makes moresense to me to buy the 2.0l because it suits my circumstances better.

Pah, you sound like some balding man going through a midlife crisis or a woman. Anyone into cars always reaches a point where they wish their car had more power. 150bhp when you could have 230bhp if you'd just tried a little harder in life, no brainer.

Still, the car OP has bought is lovely to look at and no doubt be fun to hustle around, its just never going to be quick enough for a true petrolhead.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Only reason you would fit parking sensors is if you can't park.

With the shape of the car and in particular the rear flanks, with the hood up you can see very little. Parking sensors are pretty much essential on this car as the mirrors don't help much either.

Sit in the drivers seat with the hood up and all will become apparent.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

TBH there's no real circumstance where a 2.0 makes more sense with z4. 3.0 comes with: Easier re-sale, perfect balance of economy and power, 6 cylinders (it's a BMW) and they're naturally better spec'd. In what manner would a 2.0 be better for you Kevin?

The OP has got very lucky with the spec, but only price put him off the 3.0.

It's a bloody lovely car, there's no doubt about it, but it's not the choice a lot of us would make.

With the shape of the car and in particular the rear flanks, with the hood up you can see very little. Parking sensors are pretty much essential on this car as the mirrors don't help much either.

Sit in the drivers seat with the hood up and all will become apparent.

Women.. :eek:

Personally, I don't see why anyone would fit parking sensors, purely because the rear is about 24 inches from the back of your head, how anyone can misjudge that I don't know.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Women.. :eek:

Personally, I don't see why anyone would fit parking sensors, purely because the rear is about 24 inches from the back of your head, how anyone can misjudge that I don't know.

It's something you grow used to having and in some cars they're pointless, in a Z they're damn useful.

Low seating position and crap sized mirrors, plus wind deflector fitted = see bugger all.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's something you grow used to having and in some cars they're pointless, in a Z they're damn useful.

Low seating position and crap sized mirrors, plus wind deflector fitted = see bugger all.

I suppose due to being 6'2 I just turn my head and judge when I'm about 2ft away, but for someone shorter I can see the issue TBH.

Well, I have just got the car home. I'm absolutely made up. I can't stop smiling!

As soon as I got off the motorway, the top was down, blowers on full and heated seats on maximum attack mode. I've not had a car where people actually look at it as you drive past. It's abit uncomfortable to be honest.

In terms of power, undoubtably if price wasn't an issue the 3 litre would be what I went for but I can say this categorically; you have to rev it (its NA after all) but it shifts for sure! It's definitely fast enough for me and I'm glad I went for it now.

Returned 44mpg back home from Manchester too, which was nice. Really made up with it :)

The seats and steering wheel are epic also.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Pah, you sound like some balding man going through a midlife crisis or a woman. Anyone into cars always reaches a point where they wish their car had more power. 150bhp when you could have 230bhp if you'd just tried a little harder in life, no brainer.

Still, the car OP has bought is lovely to look at and no doubt be fun to hustle around, its just never going to be quick enough for a true petrolhead.

Bullllllshiat! That comment is utter nonsense. Power has zero to do with being a petrolhead. My Frp was the Epitome of that. Even the RS Clio is! Power means nothing without balance and drive. Most fun i've had in a car was in the slower ones!

Why is the MX-5 so revered? It's great RWD fun and a good learning experience.

TBH there's no real circumstance where a 2.0 makes more sense with z4. 3.0 comes with: Easier re-sale, perfect balance of economy and power, 6 cylinders (it's a BMW) and they're naturally better spec'd. In what manner would a 2.0 be better for you Kevin?

The OP has got very lucky with the spec, but only price put him off the 3.0.

Car is cheaper, insurance and tax possibly? Reliability servicing any different? Engine parts? More controllable is the rear does step out or harder to get it with less power to the rear? Common sense surely.

I do however believe re-sale is a big thing, not many looking for the 2.0 but there will be plenty of people willing to go for the 2.0, especially people who aren't fussed just want a nice convertible.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm so glad you love it mate. Top down cold motoring is simply awesome. I currently have a broken roof though which I need to fix in the coming weeks. :eek:

You've got an epic spec TBH, heated electric sport seats and the //M wheel. Proper.

I have the heated electric //M seats, but pauper wheel at current. I'm still trying to figure out whether to sell this and buy a newer one next year or to get something different.

How are you finding the brakes on the 2.0? They're not exactly renowned for their braking :eek:

Next step, take it somewhere proper quiet and wide and see how you find it with no traction control on, at all ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Car is cheaper, insurance and tax possibly? Reliability servicing any different? Engine parts? More controllable is the rear does step out or harder to get it with less power to the rear? Common sense surely.

I do however believe re-sale is a big thing, not many looking for the 2.0 but there will be plenty of people willing to go for the 2.0, especially people who aren't fussed just want a nice convertible.

Not bad points Scotland.. in reply: I'd hazard a guess that insurance is much the same, they're not a boy racer-mobile so engine size doesn't really depict it, servicing is the same and problems are actually easier to solve on the sixers being SUCH a common engine (not to mention parts being more readily available, both second hand and new). Tax I have no clue about, power, I suppose it depends what you're looking for.

Anyway, lets stop spamming Matt's thread on the 3.0 v 2.0 debate. It's a nicer motor than mine being a facelift, so I'm a little jealous.

09Accord 2.4 3.0i Z4
Sorry bud, but I too feel you've compromised in the wrong department!
I won't harp on about it, but it has to be said.

Apart from that, lovely. They look like M sport seats to me? What extras did you get?

Should have bought mine!
new11.jpg

All the toys, around 180bhp/ton, you know you love the orange deep down ;)

Not gonna lie, I want to see/know more about it.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
It looks nice, but a 4 pot BMW is very much "OMG i must have a BMW badge" imho.

You're very much missing out by not having the correct number of cylinders :dapprove:

Couldn't have put it better myself Dave! BMWs require a minimum of 6 cylinders to be cool.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I will say be careful though, I've experienced the fade that can be had first hand, and it's a little scary.

IIRC Matt used to drive his lass's R53, nothing can be as bad as those breaks for fade lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I love these, who cares about the 2l part. If its what you wanted them thats all that maters really.

In general what are the running/repair costs of these like?

Peanuts.

Other than tyres, and the fact you need two more spark plugs, less to run than an RS clio really, certainly less than a 197/200.

Clio rs 200 turbo
I had one a couple of years ago only in silver,loved it on a sunny day,although can be a bit windy are you getting a wind deflector ,they make a difference,also you should get good mpg I was getting 55mpg going to Aberdean and about 45mpg pottering about.
Enjoy the car its nice and low wait till a HGV pulls up beside you youll know how low you are then lol

I have the wind deflector fitted and there is minimal wind intrusion. Although it does hamper rear visibility.

Finding myself going out for a drive, just for the sake of it. Not done that in years.

You don't need 230bhp for that, 150 will do me just fine thanks :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looks really well in that blue. Great spec too. I won't go on about the lack of cylinders but it looks a nice buy tbh.

I suppose due to being 6'2 I just turn my head and judge when I'm about 2ft away, but for someone shorter I can see the issue TBH.

Just a shame you haven't figured a way to judge the front end a little better ;)