ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

matching inlets diy

Si

RS Clio 172
you mean the one between the plenum and the head? isn't that the one which requires most matching?

iirc the main area for improvement is between the inlet mani and the head itself. I may be wrong.

so if i was to bore out the top inlet (the 1 that says renaultsport on) and the bottom 1 (that is still attached to the car) it would make no difference?

It's is certainly worth getting this done on the 172 models, specifically the ones without RS stamped inlets.

However don't match the lower while it's still on the car - only one place for the swarf to go & as observed one of the most beneficial parts of the matching process is between the lower and the head, an area where even the RS stamped inlets aren't exactly good!

is it a big job on a phase 2 172 taking the bottom bit that fits to the head off? ive had the top inlet off and already bored it out but getting the bottom part off doesnt look as easy!

Clio RS 197
what about the 197....is it hard to match the inlets to the head?

or are the bolts fixed so it automatically is aligned from them?

53 Clio's & counting
is it a big job on a phase 2 172 taking the bottom bit that fits to the head off? ive had the top inlet off and already bored it out but getting the bottom part off doesnt look as easy!

the lower one is fiddly, bit of a job if you havent done it before, hard bit is getting it back on with the gasket lined up correctly

Clio RS 197

how you "bored it out"?

you should match them together boss

Cooksport Fleet
I can get inlets matched for 100 quid. Close mate of mine builds race engines, he had a look at mine, and matched them for me.

Worked for Anderson race engines, and now works for JB race engines.

He will also do heads for 300 each, which includes bead blasting and acid dipped. Skimming will cost extra.

If anyone is interested, just drop me a PM

Cooksport Fleet
i think im right in saying u dont just want to bore it out, u need to make sure that u keep swirl to prevent the air and fuel from separating. And if u start to bore it out a lot, then u will loose ur torque?

im not an expert lol, correct me if im wrong!

53 Clio's & counting
I think what he is getting at matey is just boring them out to a larger size isn't the best thing to do, you want to match all holes to the size of the holes in the gaskets, any bigger and the gaskets wont seal

Its also more of getting the mani holes to the same size, making them bigger will help, but the majority of upper and lower mani's are different sizes, which will not help airflow

Clio RS 197
I think what he is getting at matey is just boring them out to a larger size isn't the best thing to do, you want to match all holes to the size of the holes in the gaskets, any bigger and the gaskets wont seal

plus the gaskets will be bigger than the hole/port

i think im right in saying u dont just want to bore it out, u need to make sure that u keep swirl to prevent the air and fuel from separating. And if u start to bore it out a lot, then u will loose ur torque?

im not an expert lol, correct me if im wrong!

i have only made it 4mm bigger and then blended in with a pencil grinder so hopefully i wont of lost any swirl cheers for your input , how come i would loose torque from boaring out too much?

53 Clio's & counting
in theory, the larger space you have to fill, the longer it will take to get the air to fill it, but once your going ( ie higher up the revs) it shouldn't makle too much difference.

I wouldnt worry anyway as the std inlets are not that great, matching is good, but thats as far as you really wanna go

Its also more of getting the mani holes to the same size, making them bigger will help, but the majority of upper and lower mani's are different sizes, which will not help airflow

thats what i have done by boaring them out i dont mean ive made it massive i made them 4mm bigger which is 1mm smaller than the gasket, i now need to do the lower inlet to the head and the top inlet i will be doing them all to the size i have done the top inlet is that not right?