ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
On the heavy steering, I agree but I liked it, felt proper opposed to the 197/200 light steering.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The 200's isn't light... at all. :/

They felt the same weight to me.

The ST was definitely comfier though. That said, mine's on H&Rs.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I preferred the 200 steering. And the 200 doesn't have great steering. Low speed ride on the fiesta is awful. Got better with speed, but driving at 30 it's very busy.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
In fairness, the ST brand has never been after the same market as RenaultSport. Until the 200t.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
At parking speeds I find it little-finger light. On track and at pace I find it has some serious weight to it.

The steering feel and response is one thing that I never ever give any thought to when driving which says to me, that for me, it works well enough.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
At parking speeds I find it little-finger light. On track and at pace I find it has some serious weight to it.

The steering feel and response is one thing that I never ever give any thought to when driving which says to me, that for me, it works well enough.

I wonder if it was a duff car, steering was heavier than the 172 at parking speeds.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
I wonder if it was a duff car, steering was heavier than the 172 at parking speeds.

Like Mark said at parking speed it's like one of those city cars with the light steering buttons! Something's not right there, however the steering doesn't sound like the only dislike. If you don't like turbo's you won't like the st. There totally different to n/a, although the ST is one of the new breeds of engine that feel more like a n/a just with fcuk loads more torque

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Like Mark said at parking speed it's like one of those city cars with the light steering buttons! Something's not right there, however the steering doesn't sound like the only dislike. If you don't like turbo's you won't like the st. There totally different to n/a, although the ST is one of the new breeds of engine that feel more like a n/a just with fcuk loads more torque

Just not the car for me. Massive shame, because on paper it's perfect. But in terms of driving, I just didn't enjoy it.

I'm almost confused by the whole experience, I've not read a single bad review of them! Feel like I've missed something lol.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I enjoyed it on my test drive, but I have just come from a relative boat in an R32. Suits me for everything I need, I can't wait to pick it up!

I did laugh at a 200 being called 'special' though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I understand where Chris is coming from with that. There's a reason that certain members of press compared the RenaultSport ethos/approach to porsche's gt3 type stuff.

As a drivers car, they are special. Despite the cheese gearbox ;).

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Just not the car for me. Massive shame, because on paper it's perfect. But in terms of driving, I just didn't enjoy it.

I'm almost confused by the whole experience, I've not read a single bad review of them! Feel like I've missed something lol.

Maybe drive another? I drove one e46 M3 & had no idea what the fuss was about, so bought another 330.

Then drove a different one by chance and bought the thing there & then!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Random one, do you know if the rear seats come out completely? So could be used like a 2 seater mini van?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've never looked! I know if I do, and they can, I'll be ripping them out come the next trackday...which I don't really want to do hence me never having checked.

I'll have a look at lunch to see if they do.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a look, they'll come out, but it's far from a two-minute one-bolt job like it was in my 172 Cup.

There's several large Torx bolts securing the hinge mechanism for the seat-backs, and the seat-base is attached somehow...but I can't see where or by what. Probably best you go and have a poke around one in your local Ford showroom.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Four new tyres were fitted today, OEM Bridgestone RE050, immense grip so long as the temperature's over five degrees, really good on track and, with 2mm remaining all round, I still got 16,787 miles out of the set!

While the wheels were off I got a good look at the brake pads and there's about 4mm remaining all round...so 20k from a set of OEM pads looks likely.

While enjoying dry empty country roads on the way home I also really felt today how much it limits torque in first and second gear. Floor it in second and it goes really well but the fronts are never scrabbling around for grip. In third though it seems to pull harder than in second and the traction control light comes into play. I'll have to film and log a few runs to see if it is holding back on the boost in first/second.

I'd imagine a map like the one from Finsport where they relax the torque limiting a bit must feel like a right animal in the lower gears!

clio 182 trophy
May do. It may be a total lemon of a car that I tried.

I was like this with the Megane 225 F1 I tested. Felt no quicker than the Trophy, which I was surprised at as it is obviously a quicker car. Maybe just go and drive another and then decide. I have been trying to drive the st as I too wan't to see what they are like.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Four new tyres were fitted today, OEM Bridgestone RE050, immense grip so long as the temperature's over five degrees, really good on track and, with 2mm remaining all round, I still got 16,787 miles out of the set!

While the wheels were off I got a good look at the brake pads and there's about 4mm remaining all round...so 20k from a set of OEM pads looks likely.

While enjoying dry empty country roads on the way home I also really felt today how much it limits torque in first and second gear. Floor it in second and it goes really well but the fronts are never scrabbling around for grip. In third though it seems to pull harder than in second and the traction control light comes into play. I'll have to film and log a few runs to see if it is holding back on the boost in first/second.

I'd imagine a map like the one from Finsport where they relax the torque limiting a bit must feel like a right animal in the lower gears!

Esp is still very active in OFF to prevent wheel spin in line with torque limiting. It's very clever in the fact it's designed to basically enable the absolute most amount of power to reach the road before wheels spin. The Finsport map is slightly more aggressive over the MP215 but it still retains the original feel to the map I.e it's not unruly. This is why the pads won't last long, they get used a lot more than you can feel to trim the power, I get horrendous dust and I'm quite a light braker.
Other maps on the market seem to make the car too aggressive and unruly and that takes away enjoyment of why the ST is so good!
Obviously the youth might enjoy wheel spinning and torque steering all over the shop with these maps

Fiesta ST3
would you say an St3 with style pack is worth £500 more over the 2 years (on lease) than the St2 with style pack?

are the extra toys worth it?

or would the £500 be better off towards a mountune MP215 upgrade?

bearing in mind its a lease over 2 years

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
10% extra per month so someone else gets the benefit when it goes back? Nah.

St2 is very well specced. Has everything you could reasonably need. St2 mountune'd. Done.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

St2 is very well specced. Has everything you could reasonably need. St2 mountune'd. Done.
It is my car for the next two years, why wouldn't I want any options?

Fiesta ST3

thats the same with mountune though ? You can take off the hardware but remap will still be on.

Mk7 Fiesta ST
I have an ST2 with every option except parking sensors, if ordering again I wouldn't bother specing everything. The only thing I really like is the folding mirrors. The keyless isn't as good as my old 200, nor is the cruise control.

RB Clio 182
I have an ST2 with every option except parking sensors, if ordering again I wouldn't bother specing everything. The only thing I really like is the folding mirrors. The keyless isn't as good as my old 200, nor is the cruise control.

Is it as quick tho :dead:

Mk7 Fiesta ST
Erm... It feels quicker day to day and is certainly easier to live with than the 200 I had,which had the cup pack.

Round Knockhill I could do a quicker lap in the 200 I'm sure.

Fiesta ST3
Erm... It feels quicker day to day and is certainly easier to live with than the 200 I had,which had the cup pack.

Round Knockhill I could do a quicker lap in the 200 I'm sure.

Alley in what way is the keyless entry no good? was thinking of speccing it!

also how is the Automatic headlights + automatic windscreen wipers + auto dimming rear view mirror and Climate control, worth having?

Mk7 Fiesta ST
Well, I hadn't seen an ST with keyless before I ordered mine and just expected it to be the same as the 200's.

Unfortunately the keyless "range" isn't as good and to unlock you still need to press a button on the handle unlike in the clio you just pulled it open, auto headlights come on in broad daylight and the headlights in the ST are an embarrassing shade of yellow at best.

Wipers aren't as sensitive even on the most sensitive setting and I find myself having to manually flick them before they decide to wipe.
The Climate is worth it though, it smartens the interior up a bit too.
The SatNav is painfully bad and takes so long to set in a destination, it was only £400 mind.

I appreciate these complaints might sound daft to some and il probably get a roasting on here with all the ST lovers but it's just an honest reflection.
In summary I'd say save the money and get the MT kit, I wish I had. Or just keep your "FF" 200's.

Renault Clio MK3
It's an honest post, but saying it's only £400 for a satnav that you aren't happy with seems odd to me...

Maybe I'm just cheap lol

Im the exact opposite from the above. I've pretty much got everything specced on mine.

I love the sat nav. Works very well and easily usable.
I like the keyless entry and having to press the little button on the door.
Auto wipers work well on the right setting.
Auto lights are the only thing that can be a little hit & miss at times, coming on when it's too light, or if you go through a tunnel, they'll turn on but once you're out, they'll take ages to switch back off.
Climate is great.
I haven't utilised the Cruise Control much, but it's the first car that i've ever had it on and it's been nice to use the few times that I have.

I've just ticked over 2.5k now. It keeps getting better with the more miles I'm putting on!!

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Im the exact opposite from the above. I've pretty much got everything specced on mine.

I love the sat nav. Works very well and easily usable.
I like the keyless entry and having to press the little button on the door.
Auto wipers work well on the right setting.
Auto lights are the only thing that can be a little hit & miss at times, coming on when it's too light, or if you go through a tunnel, they'll turn on but once you're out, they'll take ages to switch back off.
Climate is great.
I haven't utilised the Cruise Control much, but it's the first car that i've ever had it on and it's been nice to use the few times that I have.

I've just ticked over 2.5k now. It keeps getting better with the more miles I'm putting on!!

I agree with everything above.