ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's 2017 Ford Focus RS

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
When do we get the video of you slinging one up the wide in the back of it?

Clio
I can see why people tune them. Doesn't feel especially fast in a straight line, its immense torque is so progressive in the way it rapidly builds that there's no hint of drama at all.

Around turns though, oh yes.

Understeer. We've all felt it. That sense of the front wheels scrubbing just very very slightly beyond their perfect slip angle?

That's what this car feels like but from the rear, every single time you get on the power around a corner. It's not oversteer in the sense of having to adjust your steering, well, not unless you want it to be which it does very easily even in the all systems engaged 'Normal' mode...but it feels like it's just always scrubbing, just slightly. Oversped rear wheels at play? That does equate to what I'm feeling.
I don't know why but the feel of these three paragraphs had a whiff of Mills & Boon erotic soft p**n style about them.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Its been 4 weeks so is the below on order yet ?

Never! I was talking earlier to @Jeff simply about the Mountune package earlier and I realised that it'll take away the very thing Ford designed into the RS...that it is a thrill to drive (oversped rear wheels making the back end permanently loose etc.) and also it feels keen to rev right out to the redline.

FPM375 swells the midrange massively but adds nowhere near as much up top so, yes, it'll give it more midrange torque/shove and so on, but like my MR230 ST was, I think it'll then feels a bit pointless wringing its neck as the power up top is just falling away.

When do we get the video of you slinging one up the wide in the back of it?

Maybe, although not in here. I'll save that for the NWS over 40s thread.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Keep looking in here hoping you will find something and hate the car to put me off lol these look like a great all in one family car I would like but leaving it on the drive will make me nervous of some scally visit in the night

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Pale blue borefest of a Civic.
Your vid is time stamped too and matches the time I thought I saw you.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Only just got round to watching the full video. Enjoyed it.

Never really seen the appeal of the 135i's, I think they look really bland for what they are. Can definitely see the appeal of them after your video. They seem to go very well.

RB Clio 182
Only just got round to watching the full video. Enjoyed it.

Never really seen the appeal of the 135i's, I think they look really bland for what they are. Can definitely see the appeal of them after your video. They seem to go very well.
They are f**king fast mate!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
How right am I though? I bet I am! Haha

You certainly are!!!

I cant imagine you going down on a bird Mark with your go pro hero cameras set up mate, unless simple jeff does the commentary.

Seven cameras, head cam, chest cam, night vision, field audio recorder, the results are a spectacular, umm, short. Quick and easy enough to edit though.

Tbh I'm not really up on facts and figures of new-er cars so had no idea they had that much power. Look good fun as well.

In the video, dare I say it looked quicker than Marks RS.

It will wipe it from a standing start.

Not quite. I don't doubt the traction advantage I have from the off would get me a length or two ahead...but with every shift after that combined with the 135's shorter gearing I'd be reeled in. I think he'd pull out a length or two by the time we hit three figures.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I want to come and play next time to make the set up fwd , 4wd and red :)

You certainly are!!!

Seven cameras, head cam, chest cam, night vision, field audio recorder, the results are a spectacular, umm, short. Quick and easy enough to edit though.

Not quite. I don't doubt the traction advantage I have from the off would get me a length or two ahead...but with every shift after that combined with the 135's shorter gearing I'd be reeled in. I think he'd pull out a length or two by the time we hit three figures.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Lovely RS there Mark. It's nice to see one in something other than Nitrous Blue. Although, i do love that colour. I've started seeing a good few of these in my area now.

Does it feel like a big car, both in general and when pressing on? I test drove a MK7 ST a few years ago now and it just felt like the perfect size on the road and just the right amount of power, even as standard.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Does it feel like a big car, both in general and when pressing on? I test drove a MK7 ST a few years ago now and it just felt like the perfect size on the road and just the right amount of power, even as standard.

Imagine driving a bigger, but not heavier, Fiesta ST...one that changes direction just the same as an ST but has much more mechanical grip, unbreakable traction, and a rear end that exists to tease you whenever you push it.

Oh, and a sunroof.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
One month and 2,000 miles in and I'm sat here feeling quite excited by the fact that in a little over 90 minutes I get to drive it again.

I get this every day. Will that cease. Probably. Eventually. Although the pops, cracks, and oversteer will never ever get tiresome.
Just you saying that makes me miss having a fun daily.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Imagine driving a bigger, but not heavier, Fiesta ST...one that changes direction just the same as an ST but has much more mechanical grip, unbreakable traction, and a rear end that exists to tease you whenever you push it.

Oh, and a sunroof.

That's a very good explanation of it! It's no wonder why they're getting such rave reviews.

Even if i wanted one, they're completely out of my price range. I've just found that the smaller class of hot hatches are a bit more suited to my use. That's not to say that i wouldn't consider one though.

I'm waiting to see if Ford release any decent deals on the brand new Fiesta ST when that's released early next year. I'm certainly hoping they will.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
That's a very good explanation of it! It's no wonder why they're getting such rave reviews.

Even if i wanted one, they're completely out of my price range. I've just found that the smaller class of hot hatches are a bit more suited to my use. That's not to say that i wouldn't consider one though.

I'm waiting to see if Ford release any decent deals on the brand new Fiesta ST when that's released early next year. I'm certainly hoping they will.
Wasn't there rumours of a fiesta RS? We all know there's loads of untapped potential in the ST motor so all it'd need is an lsd and pumped up bodywork and 270bhp and they have a winner.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Wasn't there rumours of a fiesta RS? We all know there's loads of untapped potential in the ST motor so all it'd need is an lsd and pumped up bodywork and 270bhp and they have a winner.

Yeah but i believe Ford confirmed that it is not on their agenda anytime soon. It's a shame as i think it would be a great car and a fantastic seller. I presume it was to stop the little Fiesta nibbling at the Focus RS's heels and it's sales for that matter. It wouldn't be wise to release both at a similar time.

The tuning potential for the current Fez ST is endless. There's so many tuning packages out there that have them running at silly power without much fuss. The main issue with it being FWD so traction and torque steer. As you said, something with more power and an LSD would work a treat.

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
I saw a suped up blue fiesta st the other day, the exhaust sounded epic and the turbo noises were superd, i didnt like them until that.

Have they got forged pistons/rods standard?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I saw a suped up blue fiesta st the other day, the exhaust sounded epic and the turbo noises were superd, i didnt like them until that.

Have they got forged pistons/rods standard?
I'm not sure that they're forged, but there's some witchcraft involved.
They can take around 300 on the standard internals from what people have said. Nuts.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
330-350 BHP on stock internals is fine and this is coming from all the tuners and Collins have ran there 320 BHP one for 50K fault free hard miles .

I'm not sure that they're forged, but there's some witchcraft involved.
They can take around 300 on the standard internals from what people have said. Nuts.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_20170617_154444.jpg

Today has been interesting! I'm about to be one of 50 cars in the Dunton 50th Anniversary parade around the test track.

I managed to get a couple of passenger laps around it earlier in an original Sierra Cosworth from Ford's press fleet. Wish I hadn't. Never meet your heroes LOL