ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Manifold - cat kit fitting 172

monaco 172
I've just ordered a new manifold to cat fitting kit as mine is shot, both springs rattling and can't go any tighter due to been thread bound.

It looks an absolute pig of a job.

I was thinking it might be easier to unnbolt the manifold from the block to lower it down a bit to gain more access from the bottom?

If I do that will I need a new gasket or do they generally come off in 1 piece?

Or is there a simpler method? I had a look earlier and there's no way I can get both hands in there to hold the other side of the bolt.

phase 1 flamer 172
Very fiddly job on my phase 1, but possible, using axle stands, don't know if phase 2 is very different.

172 Turbo
I ended up getting a garage to burn mine out with the Oxy as they were rusted solid and a b**ch to get to

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I had a slight leak from mine and couldn't get one of the bolts any tighter, I ended up putting a couple washers in to compress the spring a little more.

I did it on my own on axle stands, get a 1/4" drive ratchet, small extension, deep socket and uv joint put it on the bolt going in from the top and jam the ratchet in the branches of the manifold.

Now from underneath I used two long 3/8" drive extensions long enough so I could swing a ratchet, if you have a sub-impact gun use that as you don't need as much space. Can probably do it myself in half an hour now.

Hope this helps.

Ph1
Just on the subject of the fitting kit. I ditched the kit bolts and used the biggest random steel bolts which would fit through the springs.
It's been on the car for over 10 years now and the gasket is still sealing perfect with no issues what so ever.

Imo the standard kit bolts are a terrible design due to allowing for far too much movement thus wearing the mesh gasket out prematurely.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Just on the subject of the fitting kit. I ditched the kit bolts and used the biggest random steel bolts which would fit through the springs.
It's been on the car for over 10 years now and the gasket is still sealing perfect with no issues what so ever.

Imo the standard kit bolts are a terrible design due to allowing for far too much movement thus wearing the mesh gasket out prematurely.

Can you remember what size bolts you went for? I've been having problems getting a tight seal on this joint for ages now.