ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mallory Park Trackday - 14th August 2010

Another good weekend organised by RTOC, quite a number of ClioSport members took part too which was great. Good to meet a few new people and the usuals - Tom@Wests Renault, Steve, Stevieh, Barnesautos etc!

Camping was interesting as always as im sure the rest will agree, especially with the rain overnight. All good fun though. I was hesitant to do this day at Mallory again after destroying the diff in my gearbox last year, but I just went with it and took it a bit easier round Gerrards. Although, that didnt last long as towards the end of the day when the track dried out I ended up getting faster and faster round there - oh well. Managed to complete the whole day without even removing a tool from a toolbox, I think the same applied for the other Mk1s too which was a big suprise!

At the end of the day you cant go wrong with an Open Pit event for £80, which was made a bit more interesting with the variety of cars that attended. The rain was on and off for most of the day with dry bits inbetween, and a decent dry line at the end. The R888's were not as bad as people make out, although if you try and be a hero it does get a tad interesting.

Probably the best video of the day, can really feel how different it is to drive compared to last year with all the changes to chassis and compnents:

Tried something a bit different with the camera backwards this time too, had a really good battle with Whiteley. This was one of the first outings of the day and a very damp track, the speeds were getting a bit quick for the conditions towards the end so we came in..

There a couple more clips of other people (Tom@Wests Renault and AndyRG) on my YouTube if you are reading this. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOwYw-Uma7c and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5G-C0CbqjU

Also Im sure everyone will appreciate Alex C driving down at daft (5) o' clock on Saturday morning with his camera gear to get pictures of everyone in the rain lol. A couple of my favourites are below, no doubt Alex, myself or the others will post some pictures in here too, thanks again.

20100814164132.jpg

20100814093038.jpg

20100814145710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Good to met you all, it was a steep learning curve for me!
Got any vids of the first time out on track or even better my off road at the Esses (who's was the yellow clio with novice badge?:D)
All i've ever learnt about trackdays had to be thrown out window & start again.
No longer trail braking to apex as this really unbalances rwd, get on hard & late while going staraight is the way forward.
To keep ones foot in when things go wrong is the hardest of all as your brain says let off not push more;)
As coming round hairpin, the back comes round you think to back off to gain the grip when in fact you floor it & the tyres eventually bite :eek: & your off in the right direction!
Got a good if slightly POSSESSED teacher :rasp:

What was your best lap time pal ???

Wasnt timing as it was only a track day - but going from the last video probably around or just under the 60 second mark, hard to tell. Comparing that to last years video its acctually slower, as there were some 57-58 sec laps before my gearbox went. Admittedly I was pushing harder round Gerrards last year as it was dry, this year I took it a bit easier as I didnt want a repeat, plus it was damp for most of the day - not the perfect conditions to push R888's hard!

Good to met you all, it was a steep learning curve for me!
Got any vids of the first time out on track or even better my off road at the Esses (who's was the yellow clio with novice badge?:D)
All i've ever learnt about trackdays had to be thrown out window & start again.
No longer trail braking to apex as this really unbalances rwd, get on hard & late while going staraight is the way forward.
To keep ones foot in when things go wrong is the hardest of all as your brain says let off not push more;)
As coming round hairpin, the back comes round you think to back off to gain the grip when in fact you floor it & the tyres eventually bite :eek: & your off in the right direction!
Got a good if slightly POSSESSED teacher :rasp:

The first video I took was the rear facing one with Whiteley, dont remember seeing any with a spun MX5 in :)

Trophy Turbo :)
Awsome day, I am SUCH A GIRl, i need soem lessons how too drive i think, i have no confidence apart from up the dtraigjhs and break hard LOL :)

Never the less the car drove really well on just .4 Bar it did have issues with grip on .8 so it was a waste of time so ran actuatore pressure most the day, some thing i think i need too look into

DCi 100
The drive down was definatly worth it, cheers for the invite!

Didn't get that many pictures overall as I was c**ked up by memory cards, or should I say lack of memory cards. But got afew decent ones :)

4895180901_f1e0e8e420_z.jpg

4895784518_e444fbedf3_z.jpg

4895782872_113e38b251_z.jpg

4895788568_09972d5d0e_z.png

4895193827_55c5c08a89_z.jpg

4895177181_df4b16e3fa_z.jpg

Will be looking to get pics of more cars and better panning at Oulton on September 1st. :)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
That's so awesome.

Must've been a handful in those conditions?! LSD?

DSC01083.jpg

Not at all mate, and the MK1 lads will back me up, I was getting some awesome traction considering the power and conditions and managed to spank the 4wd brigade when exiting the bends :D most people there were quite impressed by it and it won "best car of the show, post 1991"

R14 CUP
Had a really good afternoon at this - decided not to go on the track in the end, they wanted alot of money, for just a afternoon session and the weather wasn't brilliant.

I went down with James (in the Blue Zetec S), had a good few laps out with him and had a good few laps out with whiteley. Two very very quick cars, two of the quickest i'd seen in the day.

R14 CUP
£55, i would have been prepared to pay that if the weather was better (or wasnt on t1r's) and i didnt have a cracked Pagid front pad. I even had my shocker top mounts, discs and brake fluid changed the night before.

Yeah, not worth it for the (mostly wet) afternoon then. Oh well, money saved can only be a good thing I guess!

R14 CUP
Good to have a look around your car though foxy - even though id didnt speak to you:dapprove:

Yours, Adam's and Chris's make me want my own.

I did acctually try and find you after the Clio rolled and we were all getting a group photo, but I think you had gone? Oh well there is always next time...

Problem is, when you own one you realise how much up-keep they require when being used as we do - becomes a nightmare lol.

R14 CUP
Yeah we had gone soon after the accident. Yeah, im sure i'll be at more events - maybe oulton park will be the next :)

R14 CUP
Yeah the cup was there, was parked outfield though, in the carpark by the entrance. Wish i could have brought it down though - people would have probably known who i was if it was down there!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent pics, looks like a good day! Think I passed a few of you guys on your way home?

Yeah, rolled about 5 minutes before the end of the day as he was coming onto the start finish straight. Back end stepped out when his wheel touched the rumble strip then onto the grass and it dug in and rolled twice. Was not a pretty ending for the car, the driver got out unharmed though thankfully!

40337_419975473316_519133316_4912453_3348757_n.jpg

39709_419975703316_519133316_4912471_3950115_n.jpg

Maxi Megane and 182
Ironically that was his daily driver, his track car was the Kawazaki green Mk1.

Nick was ok though as said so thats the important thing.

I was there in the passenger seat of a silver phase 1 172 but he deemed it too wet to risk his daily driver on track. (Good call imho)

phase 1 172 sport
I was in the Inferno orange cup pushed hard the first outing and spun off twice,every time i went out cars were spinning off has got to be the worst weather conditions ive done a trackday in ever didn,t speak to any cliosport lads on the day apart from Bruce and Barnesautos who i know allready.

BMW E36 328
Great pics, looks like a good day, not read all the thread so it may say but who is in the other grey mk1? gutted i couldnt come to this