ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

make my 1.2 a cup

ph1 172
ever felt the difference in weight between a 1.2 assembled front subframe and the same from a 172????

obvoiusly when they made the 172's they thought they would add a load of weight to the front end to make it slower...

im guessing the extra weight went into making it stronger and stiffer

jet turbine 1.2 !!!!!

jet-beetle-20071018010521336-000cop.gif

MCS R56
wrong, u trying to tell me a modified 1.2 cant corner as quick as a 172?

The 1.2 wouldn't be close enough by the time a corner arrived, so there's not any point in discussing. And as with nearly all threads, it would be down to the driver, not the car.

So, to conclude. Unless it was a project where time and money was being pumped into the car to achieve something, there is no point in trying to make a 'Sport' out of a 1.2 as it will be a waste of money. (Cornering included)

Stagecoach Ticket
well said mate lol what ever you do its never going to be quicker unless you have more money than sense and then theres still no chance lol, and just to answer the bloke a few above you wont get any more than 100bhp doing all that because you only start with 75bhp and to gain 25bhp on a 1.2 is very hard and expensive and what i mean is you will have very limited power and grunt before the added power of the turbo comes in at around 3k so by that time it will be bye bye from the cup :rasp:

I do not believe that to be true ive seen r5 turbo's running late 13s at pod
My freinds starlet is 278bhp on the 1300cc lump and that would eat any non turbo/supercharged 1*2.

And in regards to a 1.2 keeping up with a 172 cup through tight cornering roads thats a tough one really that would all be dependant on the driver because you wouldent be able to put all the 172 power down so a 1.2 could put up a small fight in theory in back to back cornering.

Stagecoach Ticket
The 1.2 wouldn't be close enough by the time a corner arrived, so there's not any point in discussing. And as with nearly all threads, it would be down to the driver, not the car.

So, to conclude. Unless it was a project where time and money was being pumped into the car to achieve something, there is no point in trying to make a 'Sport' out of a 1.2 as it will be a waste of money. (Cornering included)

Very very true , unless you wanted to prove a point or had more money than sense it is NOT worth it at all.

2002 1.2 16v dynamique
i think you are all missing my point, i understand that i will never be as quick as a 2.l but could be made just as fun to drive with some good coilovers and brakes, im not that bothered about the engine, ive got a ktr exhaust and viper kit but thins only gives a max of 10-12 bhp so if i cant impove it there i must be able to make other areas fun.

MCS R56
ive got a 1.2 16v and would love more than anything to have a 172, 182 cup but i cant afford it and i was wondering what the main differences are between a box standard clio and a sport apart from the obvious (engine) gearbox suspension and brakes, if a little money was spent on some of these areas would my car be as fast or faster than a sport as the engine and some other components are lighter would this work?

It seems I/we are missing your point but going by your initial post, we are responding based on the highlighted.

And I doubt you are getting close to 10-12 bhp inc's with your exhaust and IK. However, I'm sure you could make your car more fun to drive with a better suspension and brakes set-up; along with weight loss.

a turbo'd yellow car
i think you are all missing my point, i understand that i will never be as quick as a 2.l but could be made just as fun to drive with some good coilovers and brakes, im not that bothered about the engine, ive got a ktr exhaust and viper kit but thins only gives a max of 10-12 bhp so if i cant impove it there i must be able to make other areas fun.

what is the point? it'l never be fun like a cup would!

good brakes and coilovers are there to help the car at speed round bends and stopping hard! you would have to thrash your 1.2 to get any use outa the upgrades! save 500qid and get good christmas pezzys!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

disagree, my 1.2 was mental fun and where the 172 makes u smile, the 1.2 was that much fun u just laughed!!

down a twisty backroad it was just as quick as my 172 is, you could corner quicker and brake later. infact if you didnt have big straights it could be quicker!

on the road it was no where near as fun though because of lack of power being 80bhp down with less torque

MCS R56
disagree, my 1.2 was mental fun and where the 172 makes u smile, the 1.2 was that much fun u just laughed!!

down a twisty backroad it was just as quick as my 172 is, you could corner quicker and brake later. infact if you didnt have big straights it could be quicker!

on the road it was no where near as fun though because of lack of power being 80bhp down with less torque

Try up a twisty back road. It wouldn't be a spec in the mirror. Sorry but a 1.2 with suspension upgrades and improved brakes wouldn't be in the same league. Fun, perhaps but that's it.

ph1 172
the only way a 1.2 could be as quick on country roads was if you didnt use the engine in the 172. who doesnt use the engine round corners?

Golf TDI

i agree to an extent with this comment , as my old 1.2 was a lot of fun to throw into corners . it was fully stripped out with buckets , on coilovers etc whereas my 172 in its standard form isnt that much more fun ! :eek:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Originally Posted by bassyboi

Originally Posted by Martin_89

Sorry but a 1.2 with suspension upgrades and improved brakes wouldn't be in the same league. Fun, perhaps but that's it.

thats what i was stating, no need for all that power to have the same amount as fun if not more, anyone whos had a shot of an old skool mini/205gti/saxo/106/rallye etc will know where were coming from!

ph1 172
i dont think anybody is trying to claim that it wont be more fun, it proably could be but the OP was asking:

would my car be as fast or faster than a sport

which it couldnt for reasonable money

edit: actually, some people are saying it wont be fun!

a turbo'd yellow car
Also the sound Bassybois clio makes means its even more fun:) loving that yozza.

i'll have to take you for a spin sometime at the next meet my friend! its evan better inside! you won't be able to hear after thoe aha! :D

rite all this chat about how the 1.2's is getting me down! if they are the same if not more fun why do people buy the 172's 182's? to get to work abit quicker? :S

no!!! because the cup is more fun as they have an engine that moves it at quite a pase! also renault didn't invest alot of time and money on the brakes saspention and body to make it have the same fun facter as a 1.2!

could you please tell me how a 1.2 would be more fun and make you sex wee more when all they do are go round a bend at the same speed as you say? when the cup would fly round the bend then leave that very same bend and be on the next bend while little 1.2 is still in the bend you just came from lol ;)

vw bora
i'll have to take you for a spin sometime at the next meet my friend! its evan better inside! you won't be able to hear after thoe aha! :D

rite all this chat about how the 1.2's is getting me down! if they are the same if not more fun why do people buy the 172's 182's? to get to work abit quicker? :S

no!!! because the cup is more fun as they have an engine that moves it at quite a pase! also renault didn't invest alot of time and money on the brakes saspention and body to make it have the same fun facter as a 1.2!

could you please tell me how a 1.2 would be more fun and make you sex wee more when all they do are go round a bend at the same speed as you say? when the cup would fly round the bend then leave that very same bend and be on the next bend while little 1.2 is still in the bend you just came from lol ;)

very true i had a 1.2 before i had a 172 and a 172cup and yes i was fun at the time but it is nothing at all compared to the cup it corners quicker and can pull you out the corners a hell of alot better were as the 1.2 you could only go round it quick but then when you put the boot down on the apex to come out the corner and to go into the next i had a very big dissapointed look as there was f**k all there lol
any way back to the point simple as there is no point spending all the money on a 1.2 as it will never be a cup you might get it round the corner at the same speed but it will NEVER! be a cup, the only way to get a cup is to buy one so save your pennys wait till your 19-20 and buy 1

172 Sport
Hello.
I have a 2002 1.2 and I have a full,damaged 172 2002.I am wanting ,later on to fit the complete running gear.I have not had chance to look but at this point hope to transfer the subframe et al.My concern is the wiring loom.Do I need it all or certain bits.I have completely stripped the interior and dont want to scrap the loom if I need interior as well as under bonnet loom too.

BG182®
If you stripped a 1.2 down to bare minium and spent anough money to could make it faster than a cup, would NOT be worth doing but it could be done.

T28 turbo conversion
Re-map
Itg Maxgon
Cams
etc etc you could proberly get into cup level performance

I was in the same situation as you, drove a Clio 1.2 16v, wanted a 1*2 but insurance just wouldn't allow.

I waited a good three years, selling the 1.2 for 2.0 206 (warm hatch) and now after 3 years of patiently waiting I can afford to have one with no stupid insurance prices etc.

Work on the 1.2's suspension and just enjoy it as I did. It may not be fast but you can still have fun without a doubt. There's a few 1.2 on here that have a great setup and the owners are just as happy with them as the 1*2 owners are with there's

Patients is the key fella ;)

320d
ive got a 1.2, i just burn chavs in saxos off. which is fun but i do want a 182 one day lol

The only saxo a clio 1.2 16v will burn off is a very early 1.0. There isnt anything in it with the 1.1's, maybe after about 70 when the extra 15bhp of the clio may give it an advantage.

1.4, VTR and VTS will hand the clio its arse of a plate.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Because to make good progress in a 1.2 you'd really have to drive it, whereas if you want to remain safe you can't really do that on the roads in a 1*2.

I'd love a 1.2 with 172 Cup running gear as a daily hack. Hello limiter.

alien green rs133
fit coilovers, fit stand alone ecu, then fit modded k4m engine running high compression and throttle boddies, decat and you will be looking at a cup in your rear view mirror, or atleast thats my opinion :D

clio cup 172
fit coilovers, fit stand alone ecu, then fit modded k4m engine running high compression and throttle boddies, decat and you will be looking at a cup in your rear view mirror, or atleast thats my opinion :D
yes gr8 idea spend 4grand plus car on making it about as fast!!!!!!!!
silly man!

Deja vu 182
This could go on forever if you fit this and that , save money and buy a faster car imo . Have fun in your 1.2 wheels , springs etc but draw a line before spending serious money on a slow car you WILL regret it . Im not bashing the 1.2 etc but its not made to be a performance car .

MCS R56

That would be worth it, wouldn't it!?!

Turbos.
As soon as you start talking about the engine then its cheaper to just get 172. Perhaps a few years back you could justify K-tecs turbo conversion (did they ever do it?).

The best thing to buy is a set of coilovers, i had no trouble keeping up with sportier cars with them on, and had a hoot. Buy a decent set and there will always be someone to buy them off you when you're done.

Renaultsport 200
I dont know what people are arguing about here. Your car can be made much faster than it is now providing you have deep pockets. Will it have the pace of a 1*2? will it balls.

If you spend lots of money on a 1.2 to make it something you should have bought in the first place then your wasting your money hand over fist.

Getting a 1.2 mapped for a few hundred quid is one thing. Turning it into a hot hatch that looks like one, goes like one, stops like one and goes round corners like one is another - your talking some serious beans.

Save your money up, get some NCB and smile when you have got enough together to have the real thing.