ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major Problem With PH1

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Got a bit of an issue with my ph1....it has recently started to act weird is the way to describe it.

Ok...was driving to work earlier this week and the car,at some traffic lights...as they go green,i pull away and i get a judder and a stall....lights on dashboard(temp,abs,stop,milage goes blank),i depress the clutch and she`s ok.....Later the same night,i put my foot down and at speed exactly the same thing happens....massive de-celeration..light on dash...

I am at a loss as to whats wrong with her.....thought maybe the clutch,but it only happens now and again....some help in the right direction would be very very grateful.

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Got a bit of an issue with my ph1....it has recently started to act weird is the way to describe it.

Ok...was driving to work earlier this week and the car,at some traffic lights...as they go green,i pull away and i get a judder and a stall....lights on dashboard(temp,abs,stop,milage goes blank),i depress the clutch and she`s ok.....Later the same night,i put my foot down and at speed exactly the same thing happens....massive de-celeration..light on dash...

I am at a loss as to whats wrong with her.....thought maybe the clutch,but it only happens now and again....some help in the right direction would be very very grateful.

Just to add...she has 118k on the clock,fuel filter changed 4 months ago,oil change last year,throttle body cleaned and ok.

Twingo GT
MAP sensor? I know in my Clio it would be a sod! Kept stalling etc. maybe an idea. Have you plugged it in?

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Lambda sensor was changed last year,throttle position sensor???...its fly by wire so unsure about that,thanks anyway...all helps to eliminate the problem...got a spare map sensor,will try that tomorrow.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
If it is a 172 phase 1 with fly by wire throttle i'd say its had an engine swap at some point. And just a wild guess but if the milometer etc went blank, as in completely turned off blank? I'd guess some sort of wiring fault, have you checked the wires going into the ECU bracket as sometimes the metal casing can chafe through the wires causing some electrical gremlins.

Only a wild guess though

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
I`m getting confused now...i have a ph1 172 and the throttle is controled by cable!!!....anyway back to my problem,fitted a replacement map sensor,but still having the same problems,have ordered a new idle control valve,if that doesnt cure it then coilpack is next.

172, Tiguan
If you have a cable then it's not fly by wire.

As far as the fault goes, i'd check the earths as suggested above a few times. I'd also replace the pre cat lambda sensor.

Clio.
Blimey, if your getting confused if your phase 1 has a cable or not, I'd suggest getting it plugged in by a professional and reading the codes before you replace half the car to find the tdc sensor is faulty or something. Just a thought.....as fault diagnostics by substituting parts is an expensive pastime.

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Ok...i`ll admit that i thought fly by wire meant it was a wire throttle....doh to me,but thanks for the advice on the problem,i found a loose wire connection besides the battery that led to the ecu....tightened the nut up....job done.:rasp:

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Ok...i`ll admit that i thought fly by wire meant it was a wire throttle....doh to me,but thanks for the advice on the problem,i found a loose wire connection besides the battery that led to the ecu....tightened the nut up....job done.:rasp:

Plus changing some parts although would be an expensive fix will also cease any future problems as old parts will need replacing eventually.

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
While i was checking the car over and changing old parts for new i thought i`d get a new Idle Control Valve,it arrived today(shipped from france!!),just fitted it and now the car wont idle,its revving at 2k....anyone got any ideas as to whats wrong.

Have re-fitted it twice.....cleaned the hole into which the unit fits,i have also checked the part number with the old one and they are the same.

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
While i was checking the car over and changing old parts for new i thought i`d get a new Idle Control Valve,it arrived today(shipped from france!!),just fitted it and now the car wont idle,its revving at 2k....anyone got any ideas as to whats wrong.

Have re-fitted it twice.....cleaned the hole into which the unit fits,i have also checked the part number with the old one and they are the same.

Does it have to settle down???....letting it idle at high revs and eventually drop down??

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Never mind....found an old post...must say thanks to dan@519 automotive:approve:....after fitting the new icv..turn the ignition off and on and pause 15 seconds in between and now the car idle`s exactly where it should.....Happy Bunny Again.