ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major cooling issues :( please help

Focus RS + S3
Having a bit of trouble with my DCi :(
It started to not register a temperature on the gauge even after driving for 40miles so i changed the thermostat and housing and coolant sensor, but this part was from a motor factors

on the way home from work the other day the coolant warning light came on, and the car boiled over spraying rusty water everywhere,

so ive flushed the system out, put a used genuine stat off the car im breaking, filled up, bled and has been fine for the last few days

but as i came home just now its done the same, boiled over :(

are there any other parts worth checking or changing?

cheers
​Adam

Focus RS + S3
Taking the dust cap off side of the stat
filling until i get even flow from stat, putting cap back on

fill to line on header tank
letting engine run/get upto temp
then top up if required

could be wrong? Lol

Megane dci 130
Worth putting the original one you took off back on to see if it returns to the original fault.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
iv always bled every dci iv touched from the bleed screw on the front pipe, ran up to temp and topped up/ bled again as required, with the heaters on.
first time I ever did it, I didn't bleed the system properly and an airlock happened caulsing engine management lights and it cutting out

Focus RS + S3
Thanks for all the help guys
well ive taken the van for a little blast this evening, and it got up to temperature lovely, heaters where really warm and the temperature gauge sat just under half

but i did notice it fluctuated a bit between a 1/4 and 1/2
im all out of ideas, but ill try bleeding it again

any tips on how i can ensure its bled properly?

cheers

Focus RS + S3
Right a bit of an update,

i noticed a leak from cambelt side of the engine,

so its had a new waterpump and cambelt, a new stat, all flushed out and filled with new anti freeze

i drove down the road home, and water was coming through the cap
on the expansion tank

theres nothing else it can be lol, the rads holding water fine so i dont know where to turn lol

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Water coming through the cap? How full is it lol
Guessing the rubber o'ring in the cap has perished letting pressure out.

Focus RS + S3
Yeah like its boiling over up through the cap lol

its hissing and steaming from there, ive swapped ot with one off the car im breaking and its still doing it

the level is between min and max at the moment

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Swap the tanks around and fill it back up, irrcc the thread on the tank is fucked and not gripping the cap enough.
Check the rubber ring inside the cap aswell.

I know it sounds dodgy , PTFE tape the tank thread and screw the cap on tight by hand. Run it around and see if it holds up

Focus RS + S3
Good shout!
I didnt think of the simple bits lol

ill give it a go now and see how it goes back and forth work tomorrow :)

cheers for the replies bud, its much appreciated as i currently got my head up my arse with this bloody van lol

Focus RS + S3
Im so fed up of mine lately lol
when its going, its like a dream

but lately this cooling issue has wound me right up!

im gonna try the PTFE tape just to see before i buy a new tank and cap

tbanks again

​ill report back

Focus RS + S3
Right bit of an update

i bought a new cap from renault and still the coolant comes out through the cap :(
so its pressurising a lot lol

starting to think its the head gasket thats gone,

i have a spare dci lump in the car im breaking, i think its just the turbo gone on that lump, so tempted to put that in the van

am i right in saying, if i bolt the replacement engine in, swap the ecu's and im guessing change the barrel for ignition, it would be a plug and play job?

Cheers