ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Magnex Exhaust

172 gone :( 197 now :)
Only had it delivered today so its not fitted yet.

Some pics:

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
you want to undo the Renault mount and strip it down and rebuild it with a Ford type support, otherwise it'll shake all over the place and sit miles away from the bumper. The Magnex system is far too heavy for the standard Renualt mount and pulls it to shreds.

R20GRC said:
you want to undo the Renault mount and strip it down and rebuild it with a Ford type support, otherwise it'll shake all over the place and sit miles away from the bumper. The Magnex system is far too heavy for the standard Renualt mount and pulls it to shreds.

you have further details on this mate/how to do it etc? I have the KTEC with similar rear pipe and mines miles off the bumper how do i raise it!?!:eek:

Who could i get to do that? I havent a clue, was just going to take it to a garage to have fitted!?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
if you look underneath the car (to the left of where the backbox is/will be, near the passenger side wheel) you will be able to see a large metal plate bolted onto the underneath of the car (2 -3 bolts) this holds the rubber support for the backbox (where the support arm on the left of the backbox pictured above goes into) undo this and removed the whole thing from the car.

Cut out the rubber support (Renault one is crap and won't hold the Magnex system properly), go to somewhere like Halfords and buy a 'Rubber exhaust mount' IIRC its a Ford type, can't remember cost exactly (but its no more than £10) then use something suitable like epoxy resin etc, etc to secure it in the metal mount, I also used cable ties either side of the rubber mount.

Refit the whole lot back on the car, and put the exhaust into the new mount, I also used cables ties to secure the exhaust more at either side. When I initially had my magnex system it would never sit correctly, always hanging to one side, so I took it to a local garage and had the whole thing re-fitted, i think they removed a section of the system near the cat, they said this enabled them to re-position the backbox and get it to sit correctly (cost me £20).

Use that secondry mount and you wont have any issues with that backbox.

Should not be able to sit lopsided if supported correctly on both sides of the silencer.

A lot of people don't bother then moan when it drags along the floor ;)

bargain cheers m8, replaced rear hangar already hoping that would cure it but it said renault on it so it clearly hasnt!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
before re-fit :

beforerefit.gif

after :

afterrefit.gif

Golf R/Leon FR
mine sits slightly lopsided, but havent replaced the hanger and needs raising up to the bumper by 2-3" ish

So if i replace them with powerflex ones it should be sorted? They only a tenner just been looking on their site.

Clio 172 Phase 2
haven't got a problem with mine either, no second mount, still using the renault original, but going to buy a new one as its starting to tear from the original exhaust, however, its on perfectly with just the original left hand side support....lucky i guess!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My Longlife stealth system always poked its head out from under my bumper, until i followed the above procedure, been trouble free ever since!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Never thought of this. Good idea kids. As Garf said, any shots, maybe a quick how 2?

172 Cup
The 172 range had a stealth exhaust fitted for a reason, imo - it looks shite with one on show. Awful. *shudder*

172 Cup
daze said:
a nice exhaust is what the 172 misses.

I agree, it's a shame people don't understand the concept of 'nice'. 182 style = nice. Not scraping the bloody floor.

ant

yep.
shame you cant understand that other peoples opinion of nice might not be the same as yours.

anyway - picture of the ford bush anyone?

could do with sorting it tomorrow.

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Sounds sweet when my foot is planted :) next step soon i hope emailed them for battery relocation :> an then ITG cone filter :> should sound nice ? :)

Clio v6
pecan said:
The 172 range had a stealth exhaust fitted for a reason, imo - it looks sh*te with one on show. Awful. *shudder*

Hi,

I have noticed there is almost nothing which pleases you, and your post history is probably the most negative I have ever come across. However I am with you on this point. I too have a similar pet hate with exhausts, mainly the box itself on show.

:)

172 Cup
I sure do drive a Ka, I can think of far worse cars to have as a first car, soon to be replaced with a Cup (if you were wondering why I'm hanging around here)

ok, as far as exhausts go, here's maybe something a bit more constructive - has anyone tried to modify the bumper so it looks as if it's meant to be there? I've noticed a lot of people opt for oval or dual exit pipes too, perhaps it would look better cut into the bumper.. probably difficult to do without making a dog's dinner out of it.

P.S. - Daze, you're a hard man to beat :p

Last edited:
  Golf R/Leon FR
many people choose not to cut out the bumper to accomodate the exhaust cos if they put it back to standard then it would look silly with the OE exhaust on!

172 Cup
How much does a new rear bumper cost? :) Surely someone has previously had the balls to try this. It'd be interesting if someone had any photos.

Golf R/Leon FR
yeah there are people on here who have had it done, quite a few who went to prospeed have had it cut in.
if people dont want to have it like that then so be it. i have my magnex on and it isnt cut into the bumper i prefer it that way!