ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Machine polishing n00b.

Barge
Good evening chaps.

Just a quick bit of help really. Black swirl bus is starting to get to me, and *gulp* rather than get someone to correct the swirls, I'm keen to learn how to do it myself so I'm looking to invest in a machine polisher.

i4D and CYC both have various kits available (G220 I've been looking at). i4D helpfully tells me that particular kits work best on soft paint (which I understand the Clio will be). Does anyone have any particular recommendations for a kit which might work best for a n00b?

I think I'll be getting a duffed up panel from a scrappies to work on first to make sure I don't f**k it up, but yeah, if anyone could give me some advice on which kit might be best that'll be super duper.

Muchos thanks.

Oh, these are what I've been looking at:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...iars-g220-complete-menzerna-kit/prod_414.html

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Meguiars_G220_Starter_Kit_1.html

and

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Kestrel_DAS-6_Meguairs_kit_1.html

If someone could explain the different pads and which products that'd be sweet too. :eek:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you're buying a G220 don't worry about the scrap panel. Unless you actually try, you wont do any damage with on of them!

I could reply to your question, but i've spent the last two days machine polishing six cars so forgive me if i'm not all that enthusiastic! lol.

Barge
It did say it was 'safe' in the product details which made me think it must be hard to f**k up, but I wanted to be sure. LOL!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hello!

Firstly, I can't stress enough how good this guide is on DW:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

If you haven't read it I would 100% reccomend that you do, as its really useful! Long, but useful. I have it printed out and I keep it in the garage just in case.

With regards to the machine I would be getting a kestral. The g220 has reliability issues, the old one I had broke when I sold it on lol.

IF you can get a kestrel + a menzerna polish combo that would be spot on.

Pads wise, the 3 MAIN ones are finishing/polishing/cutting and all go up in harshness. You have others such as compounding/wool etc but I wouldn't be concerned with those atm.

If I was buying now, I would be emailing matt and asking for a custom kit of a Kestral DA, with Menzerna Power finish (mild cut) and Menzerna Final Finish (Really low cut / finishing polish) with Lake country CSS pads!

Luke :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Oh yeh, I would also suggest you get a 2" backing plate and a cutting/polishing spot pad for the smaller/more damaged areas.

Barge
Thanks, Luke. I just had a quick scout about DW and couldn't find the guide, I'm not a member and couldn't find the search facility but I think I'll sign up. I'll have a good read of the guide, thanks!

Matt has this kit: http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Kestrel_DAS-6_Menz_Kit_2_1.html but with Menzerna pads. Pretty decent price too!

Thanks for the help with the G220, looking at some threads on here and on DW it looks like a couple of people have had issues with it.

Sweet.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
The menz pads are pretty good. Tbh they all do the same job, I just prefur the lake country ones!

Buy that one you posted.

Not a 320d
If you're buying a G220 don't worry about the scrap panel. Unless you actually try, you wont do any damage with on of them!

I could reply to your question, but i've spent the last two days machine polishing six cars so forgive me if i'm not all that enthusiastic! lol.

Ive tried many a time and i dont think its possible.

The g220 is crap mate, but its an ideal tool to get you into machine polishing with it being so light, easy to control, safe and easy to get a good finish.

e/ My fav combo wheni started was the Sonus SFX pads with Menzerna polishes. I would reccomend those over anything else for a beginner. Is it an option to get some Top inspection or an IPA pannel wipedown too ?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Just remember Pcing a car takes a long time to do it properly. I bought one and have used it twice! But that was on 2 cars and for 2 days on each car ( not full days). Have a look into paying someone to do it for you!!

But if your going to buy one buy a G220 with the Menzerna Polishes

Barge
Roffle, thanks Riz. JD did the R27 for me in the past and I spent a good 9 hours there, 13 in total including the travelling to his. Just keen to grasp the technique for myself. I'm aware of the cleaning and prep work before hand having watched JD and read threads on other peoples work, but was scared of using a machine polisher incase I cause monumental damage and wasn't sure re: kits and stuff.

Thanks for all the advice, m'dears.

Not a 320d
Dont pay someone else to do it!

If you have the kit its there for next time you do your own or someone elses. Read the guide on DW and get it done, its not hard. riz is right though, takes time. A clio takes me about 4-5 hours depending on what level of correction im going for if i do it properly.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
With a G220 you would be a complete Pen15 to damage the car, just make sure your careful with the backing plate etc

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
With respect don't bother. You'll break a finger nail! Black gold Swirls in mid air!! Worst paint ever.

Barge
Ha! I'm not going to worry about the nails because I don't have any. And you're right, although I'm not too fussed on achieving a high level of correction first time, just something to improve what there is at the minute (which is doing my head in) will be fine, and I'm keen to learn the technique for myself.

I'm having a good read around to get the best possible idea of what to do.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
With respect don't bother. You'll break a finger nail! Black gold Swirls in mid air!! Worst paint ever.
You knowsit... Looks awesome once done... Then you drive it and come back with swirls all over it :clown:

Also, if im being totally honest - I would just pay someone to do it. Wish I never bothered with it now. Yes its a good skill to have but its such a ball ache. You also need to be really committed. Every car I have done and being properly pleased with has taken 2-3 days to complete.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I've used mine a few times and, to be honest, I can't be bothered trying anymore.

Many people reckon they're great with a PC and make paint look shiny, but the truth is it takes a lot of practice and technique to achieve proper correction with one. Plus, the fact that I keep breaking backing plates has made me fall out of love with the whole machine polishing game.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Good info in this thread. I'm very seriously looking at getting one as well. My car is so swirly people get hypnotized by it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
On BG you will need Menzerna Intensive polish, then refine with Final Finish......

Here was my very quick play with my PC when i got it. THat was a few passes with IP on a Sonus yellow pad, then FF on a white. Yes i did wash the top of the door down first!!!

21062007044.jpg

210620070432.jpg

The right side was the before (obviously) and i'd tried EVERYTHING by hand, Scratch X SRP/EGP filler waxes the lot....

After an epic day with the PC it ended up like this,

DSC01321.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

You need a spot pad to do wings/door pillars and below bump strips imo. I also remove bump strips as it makes life sooo much easier.

Last edited:
  BG182FF
damn why did i buy black gold!! im looking to buy that kit too, just waiting for pay day. would i need intensive menzerna aswell then?!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
ive got a Kestral DAS-6 loads cheaper than a G220 and its apprently just as good as a G220, clean your car does a good deal for the DAS-6 including all the gear. Luke knows what ive got lol

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
BIFCAIDS said:
ive got a Kestral DAS-6 loads cheaper than a G220 and its apprently just as good as a G220, clean your car does a good deal for the DAS-6 including all the gear. Luke knows what ive got lol
Sorry I didn't text you back mate. Il hook you up ASAP with the invoice. Lot of uni work on ATM.

Gaz keV ( rly need to learn your real name) menzerna intensive polish is now called power finish, which as said is the best polish IMO!

Damn you menzerna and your re branding

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
cheekymartin said:
damn why did i buy black gold!! im looking to buy that kit too, just waiting for pay day. would i need intensive menzerna aswell then?!
You won't find intensive polish any more Mate. It's called power finish.

Yea that's what I'd reccomend aswell. My only gripe with the menzerna polishes is that they don't break down as well in the cold unless you are using rotory. There still spot on though. I only ever use menzerna or 3m now days.

Obviously all this is based on personal opinion. :)

Si

RS Clio 172
I bought the Menz sample pack type thing from CYC. gives you a decent sized bottle of a few compounds. just experimented until i found the best result. tbh i'm not 100% happy with how I did. I think it may have just been down to the panel being cold (ish) and maybe the polish not breaking down completely. other than that i can think where i went wrong.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
its because you have boob's, i asked a similar question yonks ago n got 4 replys over the space of a week lol

RB 182
See Jacko. We did knoxy's BG swirl bus and I'm sure he used a G220 on that. Came out like this
IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

And a BG I did a while back now with UDM and Menzerna Intensive and Final finish followed by CG 50/50
IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

Jacko will let you try before you buy

Golf GTD Mk7
I haz a rotary and im a complete noob, not even tried it on my car yet...

Mums car was the test :rasp:

Be careful with them. They have a mind of their own. Quicker than DA and potentially better results, but take much longer to get used to.

Mini Cooper S
I'd say its definitely worth getting one. They're really handy for getting out the odd scratch here and there. I'm yet to spend a full day with it. But yes, the process is stupidly time consuming and tedious. I'll get round to using mine at some point!

And like everyone says, you'll have to be the biggest r****d going to do damage with the Kestrel.

Last edited:
  E87 118d M Sport
that kestrel das-6 pacakge from i4d is basically what i use on my detail needy. it is 100% fine for what you need. i would personally get a scrap panel to try on. you want to have a go at the way the machine feels before you do anything to your motor. if you follow that guide on DW (by daveKG) you will be laughing. its spot on.

Static Low
I use the Kestrel DAS-6. I think its a fantastic little set up.

Its comfortable to use for a start, mainly because of its size and wait.

I also use the Menzerna pads & polishes with it. The results ive had on my car & others are outstanding.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Sorry I didn't text you back mate. Il hook you up ASAP with the invoice. Lot of uni work on ATM.

Gaz keV ( rly need to learn your real name) menzerna intensive polish is now called power finish, which as said is the best polish IMO!

Damn you menzerna and your re branding

Is it? Its ages since i bought some as i got it in the big bottles. Really rate the Menz stuff :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Is it? Its ages since i bought some as i got it in the big bottles. Really rate the Menz stuff :)
Yeh man. Haven't a clue why they renamed it though as it really doesn't suit the type of polish that it is :S LOL!

Agree with you though, its pretty good stuff.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I picked one up last year - tried it once and gave up.

Moving house next week, will have my own garage so determined now to get it right!

Megane R26
Where are you Needster? If it's proper fooked, then pay to get it done and just look after it with a DA to remove the light swirling as it picks it up.

I'd sort it out for you at mates rates if you're not toooo far away, and teach you to use whatever you buy.

Barge
Durham, m'dear. That's a fair way from Walslol. :) <3

JD did the R27 way back last year. It's not massively fooked, just a swirl bus. :eek:

I'm still waiting for the one on i4D to come into stock, saying that, I haven't checked today.