ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Pro Dvi output to HDMI or VGA ?

Hi guys, could do with some help on the above.

I want to connect my MBP to my HD TV. But its the 2009 model so the mini DVI does not inc. a sound output if what i have read is correct.

Could anyone advise me of the best way to connect my MBP to my Tv including sound too.

Many thanks

Justin

Monaro VXR
You need any optical cable and an optical to SPDIF adaptor, about £2 out of maplins, don't need to spend a fortune on the optical cable either. £5 optical cable + SPDIF adaptor.

Then Mini DVI to HDMI for the video. If your device does not accept optical audio as well...then things get a little more interesting and a lot more expensive. As you will need something like this.

http://www.lindy.co.uk/dvi-d-spdif-to-hdmi-converter/32559.html

Yep you are right Tom, total novice here. Its a mini display port but it does not carry audio over it as it's not a 2010 model.

I have checked and it's mini display port , so can some one please advise me what I need Tom ;-) ?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Unlikely the TV will have optical in, just use a standard 3.5mm audio cable.

You need a minidisplayport to hdmi adaptor (ebay)

And a hdmi cable (poundland)

Mk2 Golf GTI
Just get the mini display port to HDMI along with the 3.5mm as Tom said. It's what I've done and it's a lot easier than *****ing about with all the digital shite.

Monaro VXR
All well and good saying that...just what happens if his TV will only take audio from the HDMI socket. Then he has video and no sound. Unless he has an external amp that will accept a 3.5mm jack (Most don't) He will then need a 3.5mm to phono and then need to connect that to the amp. Just more messing about.

I know my TV does not have a 3.5mm input for audio. It's HDMI or nothing if you are using a HDMI video source.