ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac...Which one ??

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hey guys,

I have just been accepted into Uni, to do a Fdeg in graphic design. I currently have a good spec Windows PC, with all the adobe programs. However It has been suggested that I get a Mac at some point as, understandbly, all our work will be done using a Mac and apple software.
I am considering buying one, and I would say have a budget of about £800 maybe upto £1000, but im at thinking stage atm, so that might change.
I wanted to ask, which is the best Mac (option) to go for..? I am swaying towards the new MacBook, becuase ive never had a laptop and it would be handy due to being able to transport it from home to Uni. However, people have said if im going put money into a Mac, get a desktop? Your views?
Also, on my PC, I have 4gbs of RAM, but would 2GB be fine for a Mac if im doing alot of graphic work?

Thanks, sorry for the long post, im a Mac noob :rasp:

I bought a Macbook Pro and love it, never looked back, and can't remember even using a windows computer since.

2GB of ram on a mac would be adequate, mine handles photoshop, illustrator, lightroom and freehand easily.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Ok, becuase I used have 2gb on my PC, but I upgraded to 4gb when using alot of graphic software, but from my understanding Mac run much better than PC's, so 2gb should be fine then.., thanks.

But im still not sure, desktop or lappy

DMS

A thirsty 172
I'd go for the Macbook Pro if I had the choice.
You'd struggle to get a new one for a grand though.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Yea, ive already noticed that, thanks though, thats why I will be going through Apple directly

Not sure you'll see a massive difference between the mac book and the mac book pro in my opinion. Mate has the pro for audio recording and even he acknowledges the difference is marginal.
Both are excellent though. Def push for the student discount makes a big difference.

A4 Avant
What specs are your PC?

The only thing I think you'd find a restriction on with a Mac is the native screen resolution on a laptop. My brother works in graphic design and usually runs a seperate monitor from his mac book pro.

I think the days of Adobe programmes running better on Macs have long gone.

B

Brown.

Used Macbook pro or a new macbook........ you really want a lappy, mini or imac just aint portable..... i have a last gen macbook intel chip although the kit is awesome, the build quality is pants compared to the MBPro or the new ally macbook.......if like me some of your programs need windows, i currently run vista and xp via parralells at native speeds on my mac........ (plus parallels comes with its own kaspersky protection)

6/468 17poo
I got a new macbook, im sure if i went back to uni id always opt for a laptop cant deal with desktops anymore unless youve got a studio!

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
What specs are your PC?

The only thing I think you'd find a restriction on with a Mac is the native screen resolution on a laptop. My brother works in graphic design and usually runs a seperate monitor from his mac book pro.

I think the days of Adobe programmes running better on Macs have long gone.

4GB Ram
Intel 2.20GHz E4500 CPU
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT
320GB HDD