ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M3/M4 Buyers.....Should You Have Waited?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
150624_alfa_romeo_giulia_hp1-558ad8dfc5645.jpg

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good

However it'll break like the old guilietta does. Wiring sill very much an issue for alfas.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not to mention the horrific dealers. I've never encountered anything so shocking!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
A lot of dealers have their hands tied with decisions as FCA are such a bloody mare to deal with. But yeah some are awful.

Mito is has real trim issues (basically a punto). Guilietta drives really nicely but the build quality just isn't there (although if you drove one for half an hour you probably wouldn't realise this) which is worrying.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Tbf I did 60k in a giulietta over 2 years and had no issues at all.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Looks pretty as they all do but no way would I have that over an M3/4. Plus Litchfield are mapping them to 500bhp if you feel the alfa has the edge on performance.

An orange one
Ive never "got" alfa's, the 147GTA was cool but I'd never buy one over say an R32 mk5.

This one hasn't changed me either, I feel like you buy an Alfa to try and look different, a bit like Saab owners do. :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ive never "got" alfa's, the 147GTA was cool but I'd never buy one over say an R32 mk5.

This one hasn't changed me either, I feel like you buy an Alfa to try and look different, a bit like Saab owners do. :)
I'd only ever 'buy' one if I was a company car driver. Been saying it for years.

So no worries about warranty/after sales/residuals.
Order it, drive it, hand it back.

There's no denying Alfa's drive better than most other cars on the road. There's also no denying they are f**king good looking. But the fact remains they depreciate like nothing else, they're incredibly unreliable/expensive and come resale time it will cause nothing but headache.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
BMW is always going to be the quality product, and the Alfa will be lovely to look at (when you see one of the 9 people who actually bought one).

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
BMW is always going to be the quality product, and the Alfa will be lovely to look at (when you see one of the 9 people who actually bought one).
Perception is everything. BMWs are some of the most unreliable cars on the road, previous gen anyway. Not sure if Dan agrees working on them but being in cahoots with a lot of warranty people with vast experience they wouldn't have a BMW for free now.

It's beautiful, as always but no one is going to be tempted over an M3 essentially, I don't see it really aiming for that market. Surely it's aiming more towards S4 buyers or similar? Will it be as expensive as an M3/M4?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Perception is everything. BMWs are some of the most unreliable cars on the road, previous gen anyway. Not sure if Dan agrees working on them but being in cahoots with a lot of warranty people with vast experience they wouldn't have a BMW for free now.

It's beautiful, as always but no one is going to be tempted over an M3 essentially, I don't see it really aiming for that market. Surely it's aiming more towards S4 buyers or similar? Will it be as expensive as an M3/M4?
Spot on. Have some massive issues throughout the range. But as you say it's perception.

People who own BM's seem to be a very proud bunch.

Clio 200t
The rear of the car looks immense, not so sure on the front though.

But i just can't see it being much of a rival, if you've saved up a long time to buy an m3 or can finally afford it after longing after one for years, don't think this is going to sway you. The people it might sway though is who can easily afford them and change them to the newer on every couple of years.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182

Two in our household and sod all wrong with either, mines had typicle wear and tear problems and the M3 well its awesome.

A? In what way?

I always get the impression M3 buyers are super car geeks. More interested in its Nav and Phone Sync tech than actual driving.

If you buy that Alfa, over an M3, your buying it for the looks, flair and as you want something that will probably get under your skin.

In the same way the 182s are technically s**t, but Christ they are fun.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I always get the impression M3 buyers are super car geeks. More interested in its Nav and Phone Sync tech than actual driving.

If you buy that Alfa, over an M3, your buying it for the looks, flair and as you want something that will probably get under your skin.

In the same way the 182s are technically s**t, but Christ they are fun.

When you getting another...