ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M135i - Estoril Blue Loveliness

An orange one
The 235i is a bit of a minger I've got to admit, you definately seem to have had a Friday afternoon car Dave. :(

Mines almost due it's first service now 19k miles and never said a word wrong touch wood!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Build and dealer issues aside you've never really gelled with this have you Dave?

Was the initial hype a bit too much, err, hype do you think or is it just not the car for you?

Or is it that you've been stuck with it for a minimum 12 months and for someone with your car buying habits that's a struggle?

An orange one
Problem is, it does every single thing you could want from a car perfectly. It's very fast, refined, comfortable, practical, well made (in general), good looking (IMO),and cheap to run.

And yet I don't find any excitement from driving it... It's soul-less.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's my fear over the Mustang. Much as I hope Ford have given it a good dose of what they gave my ST there's nagging doubts, at this point enough to stop me chucking cash at a dealer to get my name down for one.

320d
Insurance renewal sorted.
Although it cost another £105 as its leased ffs. £495 in total. Argh.
I have to pay about an extra £100 on my insurance because it's leased too. It's a joke to be honest, it's no different to a PCP yet because my name isn't on the V5 it means I'm obviously more likely to crash it.

An orange one
If anything, I'm more careful with mine BECAUSE its leased! I know I'm borrowing it and it will cost me a tonne if I bang it..

That thought alone puts me off leasing... Which is crazy because that's where all the good deals are, but I'd be paranoid of charges at the end.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Build and dealer issues aside you've never really gelled with this have you Dave?
Was the initial hype a bit too much, err, hype do you think or is it just not the car for you?
Or is it that you've been stuck with it for a minimum 12 months and for someone with your car buying habits that's a struggle?

Nah, i do like it, its a very very good car. I'll whisper what it reminds me of though, the Golf Mk5 R32 i had, but quicker. As Colin says, that was also a car that did everything brilliantly, fast/refined/comfy/practical/lots of toys etc etc etc, but because it does everything so well, nothing really stands out. With the 135i, it will dawdle around town one minute, then devour a 300 mile journey at warp speed/comfort the next, then fold the seats down & its a van. All whilst doing 29-33mpg and costing £285 a month with warranty, so no doubt saving me money compared to previously as well. With 5 doors, it would be the PERFECT family car, & i will no doubt have another in the future, but there are ALOT of cars out there i still want to own, i dont want to get rid of the mini, & the neighbours would go mental if i had 3 cars lol.

FYI, Sarah thinks im mental. Ive got a new BMW that goes like a rocket, looks lovely & costs bugger all, but im still not happy 😌

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Someone just posted this actually:

And i have this in my favourites:

For me, these two videos depict what i think i missing from the M135i. I watch them both & the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. There is something about that engine & the noise it produces, that just gets to me i think.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Why not sell the mini and buy a "cheap" ///M?
Nah, i like the mini too much for that!! Always got to have a FWD hot hatch in the stable
driving.gif

I do think that i'll end up with a grey M3 with CSL airbox at some point though. Maybe even an SMG to use as my daily instead of the 135. The fuel/depreciation of an e92 puts me off them i think, although id stil like to try one i guess.

Someone just posted this actually:

And i have this in my favourites:

For me, these two videos depict what i think i missing from the M135i. I watch them both & the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. There is something about that engine & the noise it produces, that just gets to me i think.

Hehe I can relate to that.

However I've never been a fan of the noise, this is the one thing which has stopped me ever buying one.

In my experience, cars 'one' buys that are modern and need little to no modification tend not to get under the skin.

My Fiesta ST is ace as standard, but it's not got under my skin like the Clios did for this reason I think.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
In my experience, cars 'one' buys that are modern and need little to no modification tend not to get under the skin.

My Fiesta ST is ace as standard, but it's not got under my skin like the Clios did for this reason I think.
It's probably the only reason I never ordered one. Utterly immense but i'd still rather be in an FRP.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Should of planned ahead mate. I know when I'm ready for my next car, I got the family car ready to give to my missus.
Sod buying a child friendly car now because i'll be having kids in 3-5 years time lol, i'll have had at least 4-5 more cars by then!!
I got itchy feet after about 4 months, hence the purchase of another mini :tongueclosed:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Went to Surrey Rolling Road on Saturday with the CS lot, slightly surprised at the results :tongueclosed:

IMG_4011_zpscqwobzaj.jpg

IMG_4003_zpsz6pbx0tt.jpg

Car is manual, standard, 12 months old, run in properly, 10k on the clock.
SRR%207.3.15_zpsp86dlg1z.jpg

What most surprised me wasnt the power, but the torque (335lbft) - no wonder it struggles for traction from 1500rpm upwards if you drive like a donkey!! Still really happy with the car though, although itchy feet are ever present. Tested an SMG e46 M3 the other day (just to compare of course), & it just felt slow lol - that could have been the archaic gearbox though tbf.

Having seen the other (immaculate) M135i at SRR on Saturday i also decided to run the pressure washer over the car, still no washmit/bucket usage, but it looks a darn sight better than it did before 😌

IMG_4020_zpszqtmutys.jpg

I was on a stag do this weekend with an old friend. He's just thrown in the towel with the M135i he has (actually had two as one was stolen within two weeks of getting it...). He's gone for the new RS3, purely based on traction. He had a TTS before the BMW and where he lives (middle of no where, in the NW) he felt the TTS was quicker point to point because of the Quattro.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Was that before you washed it?

lol. After. Before it was minging!! Should have done a before/after, last time it was "cleaned" was by BMW in October ha ha.

he felt the TTS was quicker point to point because of the Quattro.

It would be much quicker tbh, even in the dry it gets very "squirrely" in 2nd/3rd in full attack mode. Whereas a TTS just steamrollers everything, even an absolute pleb can peddle one of them quickly. Useful really, as most of them are driven by girlfriends/wives lol.

It would be much quicker tbh, even in the dry it gets very "squirrely" in 2nd/3rd in full attack mode. Whereas a TTS just steamrollers everything, even an absolute pleb can peddle one of them quickly. Useful really, as most of them are driven by girlfriends/wives lol.
Yes that wasn't a particularly useful post. Still feeling the weekend, clearly...!
What I meant to carry on to say was I mentioned to him that I was actually enjoying mine significantly more than my S3 because it needed more concentration. He agreed that was fine and dandy for the weekend i.e. my use, but as he drives to work and back every day, come rain or shine, the RWD power of the BMW just didn't float his boat, which I can appreciate.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Now that makes more sense :tonguewink:
Id agree completely with that, although i do also believe that many "normal" people when they go from an Audi to a BMW find similar. Being used to masses of grip, then "easy to understand ive gone in too hard" understeer, they tend to cr4p themselves when the rear end starts moving around. An RS3 for example, will just grip & grip & grip at road speeds, he'll probably never breach its limits. Which strictly speaking, for a road car/daily, it probably the more sensible car to choose!

Now that makes more sense :tonguewink:
Id agree completely with that, although i do also believe that many "normal" people when they go from an Audi to a BMW find similar. Being used to masses of grip, then "easy to understand ive gone in too hard" understeer, they tend to cr4p themselves when the rear end starts moving around. An RS3 for example, will just grip & grip & grip at road speeds, he'll probably never breach its limits. Which strictly speaking, for a road car/daily, it probably the more sensible car to choose!
Wrote off his Saxo first car, his Mini CS second car and crashed his TTS twice. He will. Lol ;)

Leon Cupra 300
I quite fancy trying a 135 when they get to around 12k, I love rwd and how they move about but sometimes it's be nice to just plant it and go.

I had a mapped/smokey Fabia VRS almost match me coming off a greasy roundabout in the first bit of 2nd gear the other day! ...but when mine hooked up it was awesome.

An orange one
I did a WBAC quote on mine the other day, March 2013 car, 20k on the clock and they offered £18,295... About 3 months ago they offered £23k!!! Should have bailed then lol :(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Car went back to being flat as a fart under 2.5k rpm last week, so naturally i wanted to get it back into BMW for them to see if there were any faults - unfortunately, they couldn't fit me in until 28th May lol. As such, i got on the internet & fixed it myself after a bit of US forum research into "throttle adaption resetting", no idea if this is scientific, but its worked:

1. Turn ignition on, dont start, accelerator to floor for 2 minutes. Turn off. Start car after 2 mins.
2. Put car in 3rd/4th at 1.5k rpm, flick constantly between eco/comfort/sport whilst at part throttle up to 3.5k rpm. Repeat for approx 2 miles.
1. Turn ignition on, dont start, accelerator to floor for 2 minutes. Turn off. Start car after 2 mins.
2. Put car in 3rd/4th at 1.5k rpm, flick constantly between eco/comfort/sport whilst at part throttle up to 3.5k rpm. Repeat for approx 2 miles.

Car now drives considerably better! No longer want to set fire to it. Do want to get rid of it though.