ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M135i - Estoril Blue Loveliness

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So yesterday was the day, the day I got my first brand new car. Whoop whoop!!!

Jumped on the train at Walton, got to Basingstoke, changed for Reading, then onto Bristol Parkway (booked as one ticket it would have been £62, but as three separate ones, £28 – WTF?!), then a quick taxi ride (in an Audi lol) to Dick Lovett BMW at Cribbs Causeway.

IMG_9135_zpsb1c9ec3e.jpg

Where after a quick coffee in their showroom, surrounded by estoril blue 3 series, I was presented with this:

IMG_9136_zps5be01bd3.jpg

IMG_9139_zps482624d2.jpg

IMG_9140_zps5ef35b8c.jpg

Bit of a shame that it had been raining as it was a little dirty (from driving through their lockup), but c’est la vie, it was still cleaner than most of my cars ever are normally lol. Spent a good hour tinkering about with the seat, learning the iDrive controls, pairing my phone & iPod etc, then got on my way … to the nearest petrol station!!

IMG_9143_zps3ac828b6.jpg

After that a nice sedate cruise home to Weybridge, messing about with eco-pro, comfort, sport etc to wrap my head around the different throttle settings – big difference between them all which is nice, Sport is like in the e46 M3 in that the pedal gets hyper sensitive, much better for heal & toe, & as per usual, the pedal spacing is perfect for such things.

Couple of quick snaps on the way home, really does look different in each light:

IMG_9144_zps2cd7f1cd.jpg

IMG_9150_zpsb801a6c3.jpg

IMG_9152_zps02bb12bc.jpg

IMG_9155_zpsf7e14835.jpg

Glad I added the ‘Black Panel’ as well, loads of cool little displays to keep me occupied.

IMG_9160_zps9d88d684.jpg

Couple of quick snaps when I got home - love the colour soo much, definitely the right choice!!!

IMG_9163_zpsc6df6ad9.jpg

IMG_9165_zps55124a75.jpg

And then well, Sarah quite fancied popping home to Basingstoke, so another excuse to add some miles onto it ;)

IMG_9175_zps0c49406e.jpg

IMG_9178_zpsd48de9c6.jpg

First impressions are that its quiet, comfortable & ruddy quick, even below 4k rpm (running it in to 1200 miles).

In fact, it blooming awesome, everything I could ever want really. Soo happy :D

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good. Still not 100% sold on the look of the standard wheels. Is the mini now sold?

How come it came in to Cribbs? About 5 mins from my work.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Looks good, colour combo id go for aswell. What till you can properly open it up, sounds awesome.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I still hate the back of them. They're not beefy enough, maybe colour coded rear valance would help the looks.

Alas it looks utterly epic in the colour combo, apart from the S3 mirrors. I just cannot understand companies putting all these silver bits of their cars, Audi and Renault take note.

Hopefully you don't get bored... well you'll just have to live with it! ;) Mini still for sale i'm guessing?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Perfect colour, I'm not a massive fan of the wheels or wing mirrors but it's not offensive to look at by any means! Still can't believe the bargain deals on these!

BMW F21 125d
Its a lovely motor but I have to agree with Gally, the mirrors look out of place, they either need to be Estoril or at least the same colour as the wheels.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not even sure of their thinking behind the mirror caps.

Also who was the lease through Dave? Do most lease companies let you uplift from the dealer? I've no idea how it works.

An orange one
Cant believe your running it in!!!!

Get out there and give it some, After 2 years it goes back anyways?!

Was it sitting outside cause it was a lease car? I always thought new BMW's were inside the showroom?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks good. Still not 100% sold on the look of the standard wheels. Is the mini now sold?

See i love the way it looks, reminds me of the Z3M breadvan (the shoe), especially in Estoril blue :eek:

Like the GP, its a lot better in real life than pictures i think.

Mini isnt actually for sale yet, i'll get round to it at some point lol.

Not worried you'll get a bit bored of quiet & comfortable? (as opposite as that sounds...).

Looks great though, best colour.

Thanks!! To be honest, ive had soo many years of loud/noisy, i quite fancy something a bit more adult now (im nearly 32), think im at that point where im beginning to appreciate things that look fairly normal, but can 'push on' a bit if needed. The GP is epic, but does grate on long journeys back home to Cornwall etc. If i do get bored, i can always just buy a sheddy 1*2 and do a track day in it :clown:

Definitely the best colour by far!!

Were you advised to run in?

I thought that wasn't needed with new cars now.

Yeah, 1200 miles below 4k rpm. I'm thinking to stick to it, although i might have accidentally got to 5k last night, its still blooming quick though, can see it being very difficult not to travel rather fast. Like the M3 in that respect. The GP feels like you're going to take off at 75 (so its great fun when you're in the mood), but this is silent ...

How are you finding the 'box?

Lovely actually. When driving the M135i (as with any other manual BMW), the heritage is obvious, it really does feel very similar to an e30/34/36/39/46 etc just newer. The jerky 1st gear, the truck like change between 1st & 2nd when its cold, but on the move and warmed up, everything is just 'right'. The sound is unmistakably straight 6 BMW as well, couldnt care less if its piped in, it just sounds like a 330 with a turbo bolted onto it, which i guess it is lol.

Love this, although you left some of the best pics out Dale.

lol. They're for your personal collection only ;)

Also who was the lease through Dave? Do most lease companies let you uplift from the dealer? I've no idea how it works.

They're supposed to deliver, but i explained that id have to take a day off anyways, so i might as well collect it. Never had a new car, & probably wont again, so wanted to be the 1st person to fart in the seat once it had been registered.

Cant believe your running it in!!!!

Get out there and give it some, After 2 years it goes back anyways?!

Was it sitting outside cause it was a lease car? I always thought new BMW's were inside the showroom?

Quite possibly lol. It was just out in the car park, hand over took about 4 mins, literally just gave me the keys and wandered off.

Im sort of running it in, not going daft, but will no doubt explore the upper limits a little bit, current plan is to buy it after 2 years though, so want to do it properly just in case i do.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Picking it up from dealer is the way to go! I might have that feeling eventually! ;)

An orange one
Ahhh I see! Glad your enjoying it so far anyways, Estoril really appeals to me sometimes but not others, I do think is be tempted to drop Pro Media next time though, looks baller but I never use nav at all, like literally about 6 times last year

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Running in a lease car Dave?? You've changed.

I really do love these though, pictures don't do them justice (well yours anyway ;) ) on the road they look superb.

Like the other, the wheels I don't think are "enough" for the car that it is, and I'm not a fan of the mirrors, but the colour and everything else about it is awesome. I'm genuinely sad I didn't order one tbh.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm very envious, Dave, of you collecting a brand new car, and 'owning' that car. I'm so envious in fact that next time you visit B&Q I'm going to key every panel ;)

It's a great car for the maturing young professional adult, and I hope it brings you miles & miles of motoring entertainment. Now chop chop, get married, buy & house and have some kids! ;)

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Lol at thinking you are the first person to fart in it. Would have had atleast 3 smelly monkeys sitting in your seat before you even get there.

I think it's lovely. Great all round car... Apart from being RWD ;)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Got to be honest, does nothing for me but then i drive a 17 year old white impreza lol. I like the colour and i bet it goes well though.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome.
But your mad doing a slow run in.
You should give it a very hard and fast run in. Smash the granny out of it and the engine will be MUCH free er.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ahhh I see! Glad your enjoying it so far anyways, Estoril really appeals to me sometimes but not others, I do think is be tempted to drop Pro Media next time though, looks baller but I never use nav at all, like literally about 6 times last year

Yeah, i did consider Pro Nav (& Bus Nav), but realistically i got in the car yesterday, plonked my Kenu airframe in the drivers side air vent and loaded up Navfree to get to the M4, then turned it off again. I simply couldnt justify it lol. The standard system still pulls through all the info from my iPhone/iPod in terms of phonebook/albums etc, it just doesnt have pretty album art.

I really do love these though, pictures don't do them justice (well yours anyway ;) ) on the road they look superb.

Ha ha, i did take some pics with my camera as well, but left the lead at home. Hence iPhone ones :eek:

How long are you contracted to it? I'd love just a "normal" 135i tbh.

Just 2 years initially. I must admit, i did seriously consider an older 135i/335i coupe, but it would have to have warranty (£50 a month), then id still be paying £250 a month for my car loan, & id have to put a couple of grand cash in on top of the GP, so even from a purely monthly perspective, this made more sense.

Looks nice :)

When is it getting on track.

It wont be lol. If i do a trackday ill just buy a 1*2, do the day, then flog it on again - like i did last year with Feirny's Trophy in fact!!

It's a great car for the maturing young professional adult, and I hope it brings you miles & miles of motoring entertainment. Now chop chop, get married, buy & house and have some kids! ;)

I'll leave that to you if thats ok? ;)

Partly your fault i ended up in this actually, i wanted the touring t with the GP, but you'd already bought it!!

I think it's lovely. Great all round car... Apart from being RWD ;)

Sarah's got a TT225 if i want to appreciate terminal understeer. Or want to get to work in the snow ...

Awesome Dave! Got me looking at 235i's now!

Can you PM me more details on the lease deal?

They were available from £260 a month, but stopped now, & back up to £450 lol!!!

Golf R is the best deal atm, £293 maintained with Gateway2lease.

Love it.

What was your final build spec?

Fairly simple as it comes with all the important things as standard (leather/xenons/bluetooth/iPod connection), but i went for:

Estoril blue metallic, black leather inc. brushed aluminium trim & gloss black finishers, heated front seats, drivers comfort pack (rear PDC & cruise), extended storage (boot net, extra cubby holes) & black panel display (shows eco-pro modes)

Love it.

Whats the ride comfort like? Crashy on speed bumps etc?

No runflats on this, so ride is fine, i am used to Mini's as of late however ...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome.
But your mad doing a slow run in.
You should give it a very hard and fast run in. Smash the granny out of it and the engine will be MUCH free er.

I subscribe to Dave's school of thought, give it a chance to come to life instead of demanding it from the outset.

Impatience is the reason most smash them straight out of the crate but convince themselves that it's because no mechanical sympathy for a brand new engine is required or they're run in 'on the bench' in the factory. Just LOL.

I've had two new cars, my 172 Cup, and the current ST. In both of them, on rolling roads alongside other cars of similar age and mileage, mine have made more power......