ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M11 GTT - Clio Mk1 F7P Turbo - Bang ;-)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
for those interested...................... power = pain ;) :p
Right, update!

Finally decided to crack on and get the car apart and see whats causing the over-pressurizing issue i've been seeing this season on track.

So this is how the car is stood currently, looking a bit forlorn on the 'drive' and a bit unloved

Photo0442.jpg

the damps caused a bit of mould inside, but next to none really and i've chucked loads of silicone bags in there to soak up the worst of it, so the interior still looks okay :) really need to get a garage when i buy a house next year though, not happy about damp and old clio tbh!!!lol!!

Photo0441.jpg

so bonnet off;

Photo0440.jpg

radiator and front coolant pipework out, i will be purchasing an alloy rad and silicone hoses to replace the final ones that aren't silicone yet. This is going to include some custom pipework, which i have made templates for and will be sending off to SFS performance to be made up over the winter :)

Photo0438.jpg

the idea is to remove the downpipe as well as rest of the exhaust system and get a new one made up. i plan to put a flexi section in the downpipe and then get hold of a mongoose or similar and modify it into a full stealth system. all just ideas currently and as such i figured to save scrabbling about on the floor under the car, i'd whip the turbo off the manifold and leave it in situ for now!

Photo0443.jpg

parts pulled off for ease of access

Photo0448.jpg

and more bits off to get to head bolts

Photo0447.jpg

and head off, i cheated and cut the cambelt, hence the top cambelt cover is on ;-)

Photo0451.jpg

this is the head/valve/combustion chamber area after 4 years and 16k miles on high boost, not too bad me thinks, seems to be running lovely. small bit of pitting on the exhaust valves and some build up on the inlets, but nothing to write home about.

Photo0456.jpg

head gasket, still looks fine from a distance........

Photo0453.jpg

but whats this...............fire rings a bit damaged and theres clearly been some blowby as theres striations all across the fire rings

Photo0454.jpg

and heres the block.....again pistons seem okay, no build ups and evidence of poor running, and the bores are still lovely.

Photo0452.jpg

but if you look closer in the red circles..............cracks........the damn blocks cracked across from the water ways to the head bolt holes.

Photo04521.jpg

so it seems that the blocks cracked and the headbolts have lost clamping force, allowing blowby into the coolant system under full boost and as such pressurising the system!

so at least i've found a fault, but its some work now to fix.

plan is:

- send head off for refurb and skim/check inc valves lapped in etc
- get hold of good F7P block, preferably in working order
- check new block, rebuild as necessary with my wossener pistons
- tap oil return
- slap back in for 2012 boosting :)

more updates as they come!

cheers

Ben

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well thank god for that, pain in the arse but at least it's finally tracked down (after 18 months!!!!!)

Seen that cracking before, and it's normally down to there being fluid in the bolt hole, or too much grease on the bolt when it's torqued. You get a hydraulic effect which finds the weakest point to move.