ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LSD choices for Clio 172 Cup

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
It's well known that LSD choices for the above are both limited and pricey with the main contender probably being Quaife coming in at just over 1k.

I have a contact who works within a performance car parts distribution company, he has been in touch saying he's found a helical type LSD (same as Quaife?) made by a company called Team M Factory, retail price of under £600.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of said company? Better still, does anyone have any knowledge or experience of their products?

Clio.
What's your preference on driving characteristics???

....getting a crownwheel off the old diff and put on a new one isn't rocket science....

Clio.
There will be a few more manufactures of performance parts making more if these things now as I think the Quaife patent is up.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Good price! £532 delivered. There'll be customs charges on that and then fitting of the crownwheel, which is not easy. It's possible to get the Quaife for £900 all in with the crownwheel fitted.

If you know someone who can do the crownwheel and you can avoid the charges you can't go wrong at that price. M Factory make decent stuff.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
What's peoples preference between Quaife and Gripper

Depends on quite a bit;

- Quaife is fit and forget, gripper needs to come out for maintenance periodically
- Gripper is much more 'noticeable' during everyday driving I.e clunks etc.
- Gripper is plated, Quaife is helical
- Gripper is the more aggressive diff, great for track / racing.

I love my Gripper and would choose it again, but I've been in Chips Quaife'd turbo and that performs well too. :)

Clio.
Gripper is a locking diff. You can spec up the ramp angles for how you want it to act. Will only need maintenance if used hard, needs an additive or specific oils, in some cars you have to shorten the nearside drive shaft (we had to knock 25mm of our Renault 5 gtt ones).
the gripper will need re shimming.
Quaife is an ATB torsen style, so non locking, can get rid of pas, also use normal gear oil.

Both need a bit of machining to fit.