ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering Ma MK2 Phase1

RS Meg 175
How safe is it to lower my MK2 Phase1 Clio, with springs at the front, and then altering the torsion bar at the back? will it cause any damage to my car or is it generally safe?

and will 17"'s fit under my arches with out arch work if i lowered it 40mm?

Lots of Alfas
You wont have any problems lowering 40mm on 17s, I would say even 60mm on 17s you shouldnt have any problems assuming the offset of the wheels is suitable. My clio is lowered 40mm on 16s and I have no problems even if I have my bike on the roof and people in the back.

IMG_1104.jpg

RS Meg 175
nice, is theyre any safety issues or anything with using sport springs and adjustin torsion bar?

Lots of Alfas
Nope after lowering just get the tracking checked. The torsion bar is not adjusted btw, you just have to unscrew the shock, pull it down, take out the old spring and put lower ones in.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah the only problem you'll have is the lack of torsion bar ;) I have Apex springs and gmax shocks all round (40mm on 15s) No safety issues except watch your splitter on kerbs!

RS Meg 175
How much were they john? and where can i get em from :D lol
they will go on my phase1 mk 2 though wont they?

Lots of Alfas
Some mk2pph1s have 52mm hub spacing which makes it very hard to find some aftermarket shocks to fit. John is you car 54mm?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Mines 58mm hub spacing but it doesnt make a difference for springs. I bought them off a member here but www.motorsportworld.co.uk are a good company by all accounts.
I would defo get 40mm apex mate for the mk2 is thats all the drop you want.

Proof that they go on a Mk2 ph1

john2.jpg

and stay on ;)

john8.jpg

RS Meg 175
nice!, what is it you bought? suspension kit? or just springs?
i would like it the same ride height as Vinny's looks really nice.
any help is good

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I got apex 40mm springs from R3OBC (a member), the rear shocks from Mr Sheep, also a member and then used a cheeky (ex)staff discount at halfords for the matching gmax front shocks.

Vinnys is the same height as mine, just bigger wheels.

Mégane RS
cheers mate, mine 40mm on springs but will be going to coilovers soon, heres another pic

16"
Picture0201.jpg

17"
My2.jpg

Have you decided what size wheels you going for?

RS Meg 175
Yer v.nice indeed.
You got a list of everything i need to buy to get mine as low as yours vinny? and how much it would cost?
fukin awesome m8 (Y)

Mégane RS
Cheers mate, decent susspension kit thats it really, also might be worth getting the tracking done too

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
There are no such things as sport springs mate. Sport means bugger all tbh. Lowering springs on their own make the car look better and improves handling slightly. Tracking just makes the wheels point inthe right direction! Can be a huge difference or no difference depending how it was before

H22A7 Accord Type R
its worth gettin the matching shockers too. i could not believe the difference they made. Also, John, i canny believe how low them 40s look on yours, must be well settled now boyo lol!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
f**k aye! Lower than Als 60mm although hes on 16s I suppose, the gmax dropped it another wee bit cos they dont let thr spring expand as much as the original shockers!

Golf GTI 1.8T
dont be gay go sixtayyy!! lol something that just popped in me head their :S

anywhooo, mine :)

08f6c890.jpg

552b6ea9.jpg

2002 DCi 65
I have a MK2 Ph1 clio and i lowered it 35mm using P.I Springs, it was so easy! i started at 9am finished for Half 12 same day

P.S I also have a BRAND NEW set of P.I 35mm Lowering springs for sale (NEVER BEEN USED) £50 if you want them