ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering Advice

clio 1.2
I have an xreg clio with 15" alloys. i want to lower it as my dad is very handy with motors, he can fit the lowering kit for me. Just wanted some advice on the best product to buy and how low is sensible seeing i have to drive to work everyday. Also would we need any special tools to fit a lowering kit?

Lower it with new springs and dampers it makes a huge difference than just springs i hated just springs. Apex kits are great value (£200 to £300 or so depending on drop) Fk's are better and let you lower the car as far as you'd ever realy want to but thats £550 or so.
I had my car lowered on Spax a supposed 60mm all rounf which is more than just 60mm was on spring sor springs and dampers but it was more like 40 front 60 back and it never caught on any speed bumps on stock wheels however hard or quick you hit them. I never even scratched my standard splitter in 8k or so.

clio 1.2
Cheers edde. the fk's sound a bit to expensive for me don't wanna spend to much as only 1.2. so you feel springs alone are a horrible ride?
Vinni its a ph1.

clio_1.2 said:
Spring compressors? sorry new to this car tuning.
There need to to squash the old springs so you can take the damper to pieces without the springs flying off and injouring you. Once the springs removed you loosen the spring compressor to unload the spring.

clio_1.2 said:
Cheers edde. the fk's sound a bit to expensive for me don't wanna spend to much as only 1.2. so you feel springs alone are a horrible ride?
Nothing wrong with spending that much ion a 1.2 there great.
I'd definatly chnage the shocks as well though the standard shocks will wear out quickly with just new springs maybe 6 months maybe 2 years but they do get worse. I had to have my dampers off a few times for warently work as they were fauly and the ride definatly wasn't as good it wasn't as controlled or firm on the road without the shocks.

Clio 197
edde said:
Nothing wrong with spending that much ion a 1.2 there great.
I'd definatly chnage the shocks as well though the standard shocks will wear out quickly with just new springs maybe 6 months maybe 2 years but they do get worse. I had to have my dampers off a few times for warently work as they were fauly and the ride definatly wasn't as good it wasn't as controlled or firm on the road without the shocks.

Where can I get Apex full kits from?

Mégane RS
makavelli said:
u can hire them for a day from a tool place or as i said b4 just aim at a wall when undoing the bolt!!

nice lol, wonder if it will work if you put cable ties round it, a lot of them lol

VRS
yeah! could be worth a shot, i originally hired some compressors but when me dad was faffing around trying to tighten them up on one set, i was loosening the other and ended up just firing it off lol
tbh they are a 'safe' bet but take ages when tightening and loosening etc

VRS
basically spring coilled over dampers with a big nut to adjust the height! :D
you can adjust the damping as well for a harder or softer ride

clio 1.2
Alright so gives you the option to customize it to how you want it to feel and look instead of being fixed to a standard setting. thanks cleared that up. :D

Clio G-B loads of places sell them motorworks or somehting like that on the net are about the best price. After my experiance with Spax I'd stay away not saying there bad but o'd go with one none ever had trouble with ie Apex.

Clio 1.2 You can buy compressors for £30 or so then return them sying there weren't right later that day if you want for free.

Golf GTI 1.8T
Go for Apex -60mm kit, you should be fairly impressed by it.

Someone found it for a good price on here (http://www.venommotorsport.com/shop/index.html), cheaper than k-tec or john2modified (www.2modified.com) might be able to beat that price...

Heres a pic of mine on that kit..

08f6c890.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
after seeing pics of the apex -60mm kit (fitting mine on satarday) i can see me going for coilovers soon, not near low enough for me lol been looking at to many pics of freds!

Golf GTI 1.8T
Martin_89 said:
after seeing pics of the apex -60mm kit (fitting mine on satarday) i can see me going for coilovers soon, not near low enough for me lol been looking at to many pics of freds!

you right there martin if your on 15's it only noticable at the back on the 60mm's but still good enough for starters. will look good with 17's as it fills the archs better, but I'm not a fan of big wheels meself.

As father and son....
60mill on 16's looks more than adequate, fills the arches sufficiently front and back. Not entirely sure id want 60mm and 17's