ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering a Ph2 172ff

P

Paul Common 666

What are your opinions on lowering, and would you go for coilovers or springs etc? I'm not rich so il have to save but what would you guys suggest? I want my car to fill its arches a bit better, i think they're a tad hi standard!

172 Ph2
They look high standard but handle really well! As soon as you start lowering a car you'll generally hamper it's ability on the good old brithish b-road! A set of coil-overs would be the best option but they are expensive! It would mean you can set the height to how you want it to be though!There's no cheap solution to suspension, you get what you pay for. The only spring I'd buy would be the eibach pro series but this doesn't lower the car much! A set of H+R's or Billie coil-over are best IMO, if you're on a budget the FK's are a good choice, mine have been great!

P

Paul Common 666

They look high standard but handle really well! As soon as you start lowering a car you'll generally hamper it's ability on the good old brithish b-road! A set of coil-overs would be the best option but they are expensive! It would mean you can set the height to how you want it to be though!There's no cheap solution to suspension, you get what you pay for. The only spring I'd buy would be the eibach pro series but this doesn't lower the car much! A set of H+R's or Billie coil-over are best IMO, if you're on a budget the FK's are a good choice, mine have been great!

Thanks mate. How much were your FK's? If you think they're great does that mean they didnt hamper your ability on b-roads? Are they easy to adjust?

172 Ph2
I've been happy with them but that doesn't mean they're don't hamper the cars ability over the really bumpy stuff sometimes! This is an issue with coil-overs in general and not something specific to fk's. As soon as you reduce the suspension travel, up the spring rate, and increase the damping rate on an RS clio you run into compromise. The car will have less body roll and corner flatter, but it won't like the bumpy stuff as much. Suspension is all about compromise really! As an all round bet the standard set-up is great, if you want less roll and better looks, coil-overs are the way forward! I paid £400 for my FK's but I think they RRP at £620 or something like that from Euro car parts!

P

Paul Common 666

just had a quick look on europarts site, bloody hell both the fk's and h&r lower by loads!! did you fit them yourself? you seem happy with how yours have performed so i may get some!

172 Ph2
They are pretty simple to fit but I'm friendly with a local garage so got them to fit them for me. The H+R's and Bilstiens are better but the FK's are really good for the money and the ride quality isn't anywhere near as bad as PPL make out. Try Rimstyle, this is where I got mine from, although I'm not sure they normally stock Renault stuff!

I'd always chnage springs and dampers and Imo there no decinet stuff under £700 or so for the car H and R or Leda only IMO for decinet ride/builtquality etc

Stock is very good don't forget stock dampers will have worn though over age though new dampers from Renault would be £200 or so.