ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lower cost go pro alternative

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I went with this mate, very happy with it and its wifi so you can watch on your phone, tablet, ipad, laptop ect from the camera without unmounting the SD card. You can get this a little cheaper but there are so many fakes around I ordered direct from SJCAM through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CNVJVBC/?tag=cliospnet01-21
Awesome!! Thanks mate. That was one of the ones in my basket anyway based purely on reviews + cost. Good to get anecdotal experience.

What size SD card would you recommend and is there a minimum write speed required? Sorry for the noob questions.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I went with this mate, very happy with it and its wifi so you can watch on your phone, tablet, ipad, laptop ect from the camera without unmounting the SD card. You can get this a little cheaper but there are so many fakes around I ordered direct from SJCAM through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CNVJVBC/?tag=cliospnet01-21
Awesome!! Thanks mate. That was one of the ones in my basket anyway based purely on reviews + cost. Good to get anecdotal experience.

What size SD card would you recommend and is there a minimum write speed required? Sorry for the noob questions.

I've got a 32gb speed 10 and its fine, gives 4.5 hours of 1080p video. Oh and order a couple of spare batteries and charger as the battery only lasts a few hours fully charged.

Something like this...https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013QPPOYC/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I've got a 32gb speed 10 and its fine, gives 4.5 hours of 1080p video. Oh and order a couple of spare batteries and charger as the battery only lasts a few hours fully charged.

Something like this...https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Rechargeable-Battery-Charger-BC495/dp/B013QPPOYC/ref=pd_sim_421_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41HvTtJdLQL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=VXF6ND5RPPC85FNCP7MC

I have a SJ400 WIFI cam and I can say for the price it's outstanding quality. I have had mine for over a year and a half with a 32GB SanDisk Card and it's never missed a beat, has lived in my car mounted to my windscreen.

You can also put the camera into " Car Mode " which will automatically record when the ignition is turned on if it's connected via a usb cable to a USB Cigarette Lighter.
FYI @banther - When/if you purchase one of these cameras in the menu go to "Cyclic Record" and turn if off otherwise it will record 3 minute videos into separate video files.

A screenshot of a video I recorded that was downloaded directly from the Camera to my iPhone over Wi-Fi.
0BC6B689-2852-4D75-AF74-14757A9923BB.png

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I have a SJ400 WIFI cam and I can say for the price it's outstanding quality. I have had mine for over a year and a half with a 32GB SanDisk Card and it's never missed a beat, has lived in my car mounted to my windscreen.

You can also put the camera into " Car Mode " which will automatically record when the ignition is turned on if it's connected via a usb cable to a USB Cigarette Lighter.
FYI @banther - When/if you purchase one of these cameras in the menu go to "Cyclic Record" and turn if off otherwise it will record 3 minute videos into separate video files.

A screenshot of a video I recorded that was downloaded directly from the Camera to my iPhone over Wi-Fi.
0BC6B689-2852-4D75-AF74-14757A9923BB.png
Does the xiaomi yi have the car mode thingy?

Does the xiaomi yi have the car mode thingy?
There is a link here with a YouTube video showing the camera connected to an Android Device.
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/3/30/the-full-xiaomi-yi-action-camera-review.html

Looking at the link for the App it's in .APK format which will only work with Android devices. I have just had a look on the iOS App Store and cannot find an app definitive enough to give me an answer. Maybe worth looking on YouTube for review videos and see if they connect to to an iOS device and look at the app name.

Hey guys,

Looking to get a SJ4000 wifi for doing the North Coast 500. Would a 32gb Micro SD card be big enough for 11hours of driving? Looking at what's been said before I'll need 3 batteries and in car charger to power it.

Any recommendations on batteries or SD cards and mounts for internal and external use?

Cheers
Daryl

Hey guys,

Looking to get a SJ4000 wifi for doing the North Coast 500. Would a 32gb Micro SD card be big enough for 11hours of driving? Looking at what's been said before I'll need 3 batteries and in car charger to power it.

Any recommendations on batteries or SD cards and mounts for internal and external use?

Cheers
Daryl
A 32gb (class 10) card gives around 4.5 hours of recording at 1080, also the batteries only last around 1.5 hours so having it plugged in would be your best bet doing that long of a stint. The SJ4000 comes with loads of different holders for internal mounting but I went with the below and its very sturdy, but I'd be getting a proven gopro mount for the exterior of the car. Link also to additional batteries and charger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EG0V2QU/?tag=cliospnet01-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013QPPOYC/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Do the marshalls not say anything about the suction mount?
I thought they needed a second securing point on track days?
Also, do you feel the weight of it on the side of your head when driving?
MSV aren't to bothered, Javelin are. Cant really feel the weight no, I've just ordered the bits from eBay for £10 to mount via the headrest see below...

xXBHzEu.jpg

mk1 Octavia VRS
Cheers @JB21 I've ordered the bits so hopefully they'll arrive in time for next Friday at Bedford. Think I've already got a handlebar mount that came with my SJ4000 :)

Cheers, i actually changed the link in an Edit on my post to the one you have linked, but it didnt change it for some reason!

Clio 172 (CUP)
I bought the previous non-wifi model to this may be two years ago to permanently mount in the car, I recognise the boxing, it's been faultless. (My opinion) All of these cameras are probably off of the same production line anyway, just branded for each batch order. If the software version and menus could be compared side by side I wouldn't be surprised if they're identical. Happy to be corrected of course by someone in the know/distributor of these.

At 30-35 quid I'm thinking of buying another for rear facing.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Here's the SJ4000 WIFI in 1080p (30fps)...
I had mine mounted in a similar place before I got the roll cage, but due to the arm we got some serious rattle through the mic. Though now you can't see me you have a better view of what is infront of the car and conditions.

I had mine mounted in a similar place before I got the roll cage, but due to the arm we got some serious rattle through the mic. Though now you can't see me you have a better view of what is infront of the car and conditions.
Yeah think I will go back to the windscreen view at Aintree in a few weeks as you can actually see all the track.

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Just received my sj4000 wifi, seems like a decent bit of kit out the box. Got a few extra batteries with it too which is alway handy, hopefully get some recording time with it soon and see how it compares to the muvi hd.