ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lost power, running like a dog, nasty smell...

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Was driving to work this morning when I suddenly lost power, and the engine light started flashing.

I've managed to nurse it home, so it's safely parked back up outside.

Is it likely to be a blocked/damaged cat, or something more serious?

I've got a decat pipe in the garage, but the noise was a bit excessive (call me old) so I could re-fit that if that's what we think the issue is.

Thanks

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Garage have changed the coilpack (their diagnosis) and nothing has happened.

I'm leaving it with them to have a proper look tomorrow, but what else could be causing an issue with Cyl 1 only?
I'm guessing a faulty injector could be another culprit.

I've read about MAP sensors amongst other things, but would they only affect one cyl?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Why haven't the garage stuck a code reader on it, or has it only told them it's an issue with cylinder 1??

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
The code reader the RAC guy had showed a misfire in Cyl 1 (generic code reader though).

Not sure what the garage have done, but this guy is a bit old fashioned. The other mechanic is back tomorrow, and he's more up to speed with diagnostics I think!

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Strange, drove fine this evening when I picked it up. He took the plugs out and they were pretty knackered.

Light hasn't come back on since, but sounds like I may need to buy an injector or two to be safe.

E46 M3 / BG 182
Can injector faults be intermittent, I get the similar problem but only after it's heated up, but not all the time ?
it's like a switch going off, then next day it's fine again usually until it warms up properly.

Volvo S40
I had this issue about a month ago. Turned out to be....................................

..............An injector

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Thanks all

Leads and plugs were changed (the plugs were looking pretty bad), and it's driving perfectly again at the moment.

I'll pick up a couple of injectors to fit when I get a chance as it sounds like it might be a temporary fix, but it's back to normal at the moment.

Ritch_Kid26

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
Will a faulty injector always flash an EML ? all the symptoms on my car point to a faulty injector except no EML, I haven't checked HT leads and plugs yet, would an EML come on if these had gone ?
Cheers

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Will a faulty injector always flash an EML ? all the symptoms on my car point to a faulty injector except no EML, I haven't checked HT leads and plugs yet, would an EML come on if these had gone ?
Cheers
Not always, mine has done it before without having the associated flashing EML. But it usually does.