ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Losing Water

Renaul clio 1.2 16v
I seem to be losing water from my water tank, but i can see no visable leaks. Whats the worse case senario on gettting this fixed (price wise). The cam belt has been changed recently so if a new water pump is needed will i need to get a new cambelt.

172cup
yeast infection?

If you need a new waterpump, then yes you will need a new belt again. HOWEVER if your cambelt was done as part of a service correctly, your water pump should have been replaced anyway

Renaul clio 1.2 16v
No my mate did it for me (don't worry he is a mechanic).

Just hopeing its not going to be loads of money as a bit skint at the moment.

Lots of Alfas
It could be the radiator. After a drive leave it idling on the driveway for a few mins in the cold and see if you can see any steam coming out from anywhere.

PH1 172 Sport
Best thing to do is put some news paper under it overnight or when its running and see where it gets wet.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
cant understand why people go to the trouble of changing the cambelt and not the waterpump,there not even expensive i think i paid £17 for the one on my williams engine,have you checked its not the headgasket?

320d
Could be headgasket mate unfortunately. Park it somewhere with a dry floor for a few hours 1st to make sure theres no leaks.

BMW M135i
Would most likely be the waterpump on a 1.2 they should be changed with the cambelt as they leak for fun. The design is piss poor iirc.

Renaul clio 1.2 16v
Had a look last night and i dont think its the head gasket. Cant see any water dripping out anywhere. Must be a slow leak. My mate is going to pressure test it tomorrow to see what the problem is. Lets hope nothing to serious

PH1 172 Sport
Had a look last night and i dont think its the head gasket. Cant see any water dripping out anywhere. Must be a slow leak. My mate is going to pressure test it tomorrow to see what the problem is. Lets hope nothing to serious

If its the head gasket chances are you will not see it leak out of anywhere as the water will be burnt and sent out of the exhaust.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
100% waterpump, they MUST be changed when the belt is done. i didnt do mine the first time, it eventually seazed taking the cambelt and engine with it! lol

Renaul clio 1.2 16v
lol, not good at all. How much did that cost you then. Hope it lasts through today and tomorrow till i know for sure whats wrong with it. I think its the water pump, or that is what i am hopeing for anyway

Lionel Richie
they leak through the bearing, as martin says the water pump HAS to be changed with the cambelt, people who have no experience with this engine won't change it

parts are about £100 and its 2-3hours depending on if you have aircon

you could just replace the belt if the garage fitted new tensioners too

Renaul clio 1.2 16v
is that including a new Cam Belt. Thing I dont get (so excuse my ignorance here) As its a new Cam Belt, why can that not go back on. I assume it has to be destroyed to get to the pump or something.

Lionel Richie
well chances are is been covered in coolant

you could whack it back on if you wanted too, you can just buy the belt on its own also

did the garage fit a cambelt kit (belt, tensioners and idlers)

172cup
the belt itself costs f**k all... its the work involved, the tensioners, idlers and labour that costs you money. The belt will have been under load/tension, so its never good practice to put it back on.

As you will have to go through that level or strip down/labour again, you may aswell fork out for a new belt anyway. Just dont purchase the cambelt kit

Renaul clio 1.2 16v
My mate did the belt for me last time, so he would still have the kit i assume, just get a new belt then, if its the pump that is shaffted. Cheers for the help. Will let you all know what is was tomorrow when its pressure tested

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mine leaked for about a year before the pump went taking the belt.

BUT as far as i know as fred says it leaks thru the bearing and I THINK but not 100% sure that the coolant helps to lubricate the pump, but i was using tap water as i was fed up buying coolant for the thing! so thats possibly what seazed the pump!

to be honest ud probably be fine removing and refitting the belt but for the sake of the price of a belt on its own id just change it sure their about £18 from memory!

audi a6 3.0tdi
mine is pissing out coolant but mine it due to a perished pipe. when the engine is running you can see it pumping out. what ever you do don't let it over heat.

Megane 225
Could be a pinhole in the radiator if u picked up a stone or something? My 172 had this, check the subframe below the Rad to see if it's wet!

1.2 Clio Dynamique 2001
I'm having a similar problem. Been losing coolant since I bought the bugger.

Today it all came to a peak. On the m60, temperature at top (only put more in the other day too) - parked up, carefully removed the coolant cap and pooooofffff, out comes a bunch of steam!

Do you think I need a mechanic pronto to check it?