ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to pick up my first Clio...

Hey guys :)

Brand new here, so hopefully this is the right place.

I am looking to pick up my first Clio (also my first car) in the next 2 months. I have been looking at the ~03 1.6 16V Dynamique. The last clio I drove (my parents) was a 07 Clio 1.2. It was nothing but trouble near the end of its life which was around 5 years. My concern is if I pick up a 10 year old Clio, will it be just as bad?

What is the reliability like?

Also, any other tips, please let me know :)

Thanks in advance!

BG 182
You could have just been unlucky mate, my 1.2 has been faultless in all the time I've had it. Depending on your age a 1.6 could be a bit pricey on insurance? Especially as it's your first car. One tip, is dont go for a sun roof! From mates and talking to other clio owners it seems 9/10 rattle and drive you mad

BG 182
also have you looked at the dci's? they get good reviews from people on here and have way more grunt than a 1.2 while shouldnt be as bad on insurance. Also 1.6's can be a little harder to sell on as they are not considered a 'hot hatch' but then not cheap enough to run and insure for a person who cant afford an RS

Renault Clio MK4 RS
I have a clio 1.2 8v which is 2001 and its done just over 100,000 miles and still running good and ive not had any problem with it apart from little tiny ones which were easily fixed. It all depends on how the car has been treated in its life and if its had the neccesary services and repairs when needed.

Try find one that 'HAS' had the belts etc done as then you wont need to fork out a few hundred for them. Like said above definitely try go for a Dci as they hold their value well and are great little cars from what ive heard and very economical but got a bit more grunt than a 1.2. All depends on your age if you can get insured on a dci or a 1.2 because of prices etc at a young age :)

Clio 172 cup
for what it is the 1.2 16v is a nippy little car and is nice and low on insurance, I've had one for about 2 years now and apart from things that needed doing when i got it, i've had no problems with it.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I had a 1.6 dynamique as my first car, and tbh if I was to do it again I'd opt for the dci this time around. I'd go for either the 80 or 100 as they much easier to get better gains with a re map etc and most if them are better specced with air con.

The 1.6 is quite a good little engine, a bit thirsty but still really fun for a first car. You'll think it's the fastest thing in the world also.

Cheers for the replies so far guys. All taken into account. I am 19 and the insurance on the 1.6 is £550 for the year, so affordable. Will look at the dci though.

BG 182
wouldnt really be able to give you a great idea as i dont have one. but sounds like you'd be better with the dci. some people get crazy mpg with them and they have more of a kick than the 1.2 without doubt

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I get roughly the same out of my 182 as I did in the 1.6. Hasn't cost me much more to run, except tax and servicing.

As I first car though, you'd be better off in something a bit smaller. Makes it so much better when you upgrade later on.

have a look at what RS would be. IM 19 as well and quoted 855 for a 172 :D

I'm back and now looking to take your advice! Hope your forum doesn't mind me bumping the thread as it is pretty old, but I felt it made more sense to bump and update than create another thread.

So guys, I am now 20 years old, went stupidly for an MG ZR 105 as I have always liked the look (weird I know). It has been nothing, but problems and spend almost as much on repairs in 8 months than I did on the car.

Was trying to hold off until this August when I turn 21 and will hit 3 years driving, but I honestly don't think my current car will make it through it's MOT without a good few hundred thrown at it. MOT is up in April, so time to save up a decent deposit/insurance cost.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand and why I quoted "SUYC", I am now looking at picking myself up a Clio. The model I am after is the RS200 11/12. My family have always had Clios and I have always been a fan.

My main question is: Just how harsh is the Cup? I drive mostly city driving on decent roads, but I am concerned at just how hard the ride is? Basically, Cup vs non-Cup. Also any general advise would be greatly appreciated.

ps. If anyone could tell me how to edit the OP, that would be great, cheers :)

BG 182
sadly a 200 is waaaay outta my budget. but once you've got one and if you find yourself in newcastle feel free to take me for a spin haha!