ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a track day car

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a cheaper car as I intend to start doing a lot more track driving and the Evo is just too expensive for me for the amount of track I want to do.

As such I intend to take a look at the Clio and see if its what Im after.

Now I dont really know much on the differences between the 172/172 cup/182/182 cup, but had initially been drawn to look at the 172/172 cup as I can get one at trade money through a friend (£4-5k) and it fits in with my plan to buy a cheaper car (less to worry about if i stick it in the gravel!).

Could someone help me make a more informed decision? Point me in the direction of some comparisons? Are there many people who track their cars? Ive also read bits about ECU upgrades, any info on these?

Many Thanks
Dave

if you are going to track it then stick to the 172 cup, will be cheaper and doesnt have aircon or abs, plus im assuming youll strip it out and fit buckets ? if so you wont cry ripping out the cloth seats compared to the leather/alcantara ones in a regular 172/182. there are a few guys on here who track their cars on a regular basis. in terms of ECU upgrades there are the likes of the r-sport ecu or fitting something like an SMT7 or dastek uniship and having them mapped properly on the RR.

Martin, Looks and sounds a complete car! Have you got more in terms of spec?

Loony, From digging out old EVO mag articles thats pretty much what I had in mind :eek:) Go for the 172 cup then get the brakes/shocks/ARBs/tires/engine sorted with a chunk of the money I have left from the Evo. Is there an accepted "tuning route" for the 172 Cup?

I see there is a track day forum? Paying members only I assume?

there is and yes.

in terms of sorting for track etc, best bet is to strip as much weight out as possible, get a good set of track tryes, some buckets, a set of coilovers propely set up and the car corner weighted, in terms of tuning there are loads of different routes, you can go for NA related be it cams, headwork,manifold work and piggy back ecu or full on with a set of throttle bodies, or there is the turbod route a few tuners have developed turbo kits now. All depends how deep your pocket is really.

Now whilst Ive managed to ignore the HOMO jibes caused by looking at a Clio so far, an Elise is just that little bit too gay for me! LOL!

Not to mention the fact Im a little too portly for the Lotus! ;o)

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 07 February 2005

there is and yes.

in terms of sorting for track etc, best bet is to strip as much weight out as possible, get a good set of track tryes, some buckets, a set of coilovers propely set up and the car corner weighted, in terms of tuning there are loads of different routes, you can go for NA related be it cams, headwork,manifold work and piggy back ecu or full on with a set of throttle bodies, or there is the turbod route a few tuners have developed turbo kits now. All depends how deep your pocket is really.

Thats the sort of info Im after Loony :)

The usual as far as suspension goes? KW? Ohlins?

I think personally Id go for the NA route, throttle bodies had already been mentioned too ;)

Any tuners that stand head and shoulders above the rest?

i had a set of H&R coilovers fitted to my mk2 172 was very impressed, both dansta and chris172cup followed suit with the same kit and are both also very impressed with them. Yozza has a set of bilstein coilovers that he is very happy with too. As for tuners you really are looking mainly at the likes of GDI/Angelworks, nick hill, bb tuning and k-tec. Also mark fish motorsport i believe a few of the guys here have used and been very happy with.

Again, spot on.

Ive had a crude google but any links to the places you mentioned?

Ive just seen that one of the Clio cup teams are based quite local to me in Hants too.

for angelworks or GDI you need to PM either BenR or Andy GDI, they are both regular forum users but their website is being overhauled at the moment. K-tec and bb tuning both have links on here in the exterior power and mechanical forum and as for mark fish motorsport and nick hill im sure a google bash will find them.