ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a camera *n00b alert*

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a camera for my wife for Christmas as she's been saying all year she thinks she'd like to get into photography and tbh her point and shoot is getting on a little now.

Now the problem I'm having comes about as I know very little about cameras.
I don't trust salesmen and thought i'd ask the fountain of knowledge here.

She has it in her head she wants a 'real' camera with changeable lenses, although I think that will change when she sees the prices of lenses.
I've looked at various compacts, bridge cameras and DSLRs but i'm a little lost with it all.

If anyone has any advice or tips as to what I should be looking for, or advice on things they've used it'd really help!

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure some the others with a lot more experience and knowledge will be along to point you in the right direction, but in the meantime I was in a similar situation last year. There are loads out there to choose from, have a look online and read plenty of reviews on the cameras first.

I guess it all comes down to your budget at the end of the day, how much are you looking to spend?

In the end I settled for the Nikon D3000 as it was ideal for beginners and affordable for me. If I had a bigger budget I would have got something newer.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
lol, a quick google and heart palpitations later.

I had around £350 in mind as a budget, but then the Nikon L820 caught my eye as argos have it on a (nearly)half price special @£120

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Budget will help .. but expectations will also help. What does she actually want ?

Perhaps, as you're not 8 years old (I assume so as you're married) you can be a grown up and take her shopping ?! In the nicest possible way .. I'd rather get something I wanted than what someone thought I wanted.

If she wants interchangable lenses, a DSLR or micro 4/3rds is the way to go.

Not trusting sales people is your first problem IMO .. go to a proper camera shop (are there any left?) not Currys .. get some real advice.

When I got my first DSLR I went to Jessops and tried a few in my budget. If someone had bought me one of the ones I didn't like, I'd feel awful rejecting it, but equally bad having to use it.

If she wants to get into it properly, get an SLR (be it Nikon/Canon/Sony etc) and if you can choose one that friends have to be able to swap lenses... that's a real bonus !

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Budget will help .. but expectations will also help. What does she actually want ?

This is problem no. 1
She doesn't actually know what she wants, if you start talking technical she switches off and just nods and agrees

Perhaps, as you're not 8 years old (I assume so as you're married) you can be a grown up and take her shopping ?! In the nicest possible way .. I'd rather get something I wanted than what someone thought I wanted.

I have considered this option, but then I haven't used my own initiative, apparently (woman logic)

If she wants interchangable lenses, a DSLR or micro 4/3rds is the way to go.

Not trusting sales people is your first problem IMO .. go to a proper camera shop (are there any left?) not Currys .. get some real advice.

this is good advice, especially as I see Jessops attempting a comeback from the brink, i'll have to check my local branch and see if they sold up shop or not yet.

When I got my first DSLR I went to Jessops and tried a few in my budget. If someone had bought me one of the ones I didn't like, I'd feel awful rejecting it, but equally bad having to use it.

If she wants to get into it properly, get an SLR (be it Nikon/Canon/Sony etc) and if you can choose one that friends have to be able to swap lenses... that's a real bonus !

I would actually like to get her an SLR, but again we're back to question 1 and what will it actually get used for.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I will have an investigate!

I'm going to scoot over to Jessops in the morning while she's at work.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Yea, that guy from dragons den saved the chain, it appears all but one branch in kent has closed, and thats in bromley