ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at buying a 172

I am looking at buying a 51 plate 172 . . . I was all up for it but a mate has made me a bit unsure now....

about 80,000 miles roughly looks in good condition etc and HPI checks out.

Main concern is what should I be looking out for and does it matter that there have been 7 previous owners - bit concerned now :(

Any help would be awesome - thanks

Evo 6, E92 320d
I needs to have had the belts changed, if not factor £400 for that, but i wouldn't want to drive if far if it hasn't had them changed.

Clio 172
Amount of owners doesnt matter as above check belts have been done and check service history. Think belts and pulleys are due @75k

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Your mate probably told you it is french, and sh*t, and he would be right, but as long as the belts are done and has a good service history, then it should be all good.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Cambelt should have been one at 72k miles (or 5 yrs of age), this is what’s mentioned above but is more like £500 if you get it done independently, up to £900 if done by Renault but it needs doing.

The Aux belt often gets done at the same time as you've done half the work getting to the cambelt.

Sending you a PM

Clio 172
I got my dephaser pulley done at this time aswell just to be on the safe side although it did start to sound like a tractor!

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Your mate probably told you it is french, and sh*t, and he would be right, but as long as the belts are done and has a good service history, then it should be all good.

I was warey with mine having 5 owners for a 02 model. Agreed hot hatches have a quick turnover amongst the fraternity that buy them, but it can be a sign that there is a costly fault that expensive to fix and only rears its head intermitently. You’ve just got to do your best to sheck things over and be thouroguh. If its had lots of owners over a 2 year period i.e. more than 3 or 4 then maybe that’s a sign, I think some HPI’s might show this.

My brother had similar with a Meganne coupe he bought, it was fine, but 1 in 10 times it wouldn’t start due to an immobiliser fault... that was a grand to fix.....he just sold it on and kept quiet and I don’t blame him either! No wonder it had lots of previous owners

Many thanks for replies thus far - HPI shows everything is fine and the amount of owners . . . should be alright to be honest? What would be a good price? £2300 is that a reasonable one?

ph1 172
2300 sounds reasonable aslong as its got full history and drives ok.
give or take a scratch or two.