ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at a 182 tonight - any advice?

Hi folks,

first post here. I am looking at buying a Clio sport of some variation. I am going to look at a 182 tonight. This one to be precise - http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3106996.htm

As you can tell, not a lot of details have been offered with the car. The sellers seem a middle-aged family who use the car as a second car and are now selling due to one of their children learning to drive. It is apparently in very good condition externally and internally. My main concern though is the service history and if the belts have been changed. They said they are unsure as they have only had the car a year.

So obviously, if there is no record of the belts being done then they will need done ASAP. What are the costs involved with having the belts changed? Is there anything else I need to look out for when viewing the car?

Any help, advices, tips and pointers will be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers,
Jamie

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What makes you want that one? Crap advert, crap pictures, i'd look for one where someone has made the effort.

Belts will add £500-600 on the price and there is loads of newer ones with belts done in more desirable colours for about £4k

Also thats got to be te crapest personal numberplate ever.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
You need to budget around £500 for the belts to be changed as its a big job on these. just the usual checks such as oil level, tyre wear should be even, engine making no tapping noises.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Looks like the standard exhaust to? So that will need replacing soon as they're crap.
Are the front stickers/tabs missing off the front bumper to?

Merc
Take someone who is mechanically orientated with you to give it a good look. If there is no service history make that a focal point towards knocking off a few hundreds off the price, mentioning the price above for new belts. Looks cheapish, but then again I have no idea for howmuch these go for, around 4/4.5k iirc.

Anywho good luck.

What makes you want that one? Crap advert, crap pictures, i'd look for one where someone has made the effort.

Belts will add £500-600 on the price and there is loads of newer ones with belts done in more desirable colours for about £4k

Also thats got to be te crapest personal numberplate ever.

Local and reasonably priced. That is the only reason I am going to look at it. My budget is very tight and around the £3k mark purely due to saving for a house deposit so I need to be sensible for a change. Looks like a nice standard example too which is a bonus.

I know my way around a car quite well, just curious if there is anything inparticular that I should look out for. Also, does anybody have any idea what variant of 182 this is? With the anthracite alloys does that mean its a cup?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's a Cup packed 182

I would personally be looking at 172s with a budget of £3k

Rusty Cup
My 05 plate 182 is forsale for £2750 with belts needed and i'd say thats close to being realistic, that is a really short ad makes me wonder why its so short.. very limited information + high price = im out (not in the sexual orientation sense)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If there's no record of the belts being done and the exhaust being standard then haggle £500 (belts) + the price of a yozza system off the price :)

Could be a good car with just a gash advert really. There's been people on here taking gambles and getting great cars out of it... Fingers crossed that this is one of them :)

Arctic Blue 182ff
You need to make a decision on the 172 cup & 182 with cup packs decision.

Yes, there are people on here who will tell you to get the 172 cup because it's quicker etc etc, but you need to decide what you want. The 182 is newer, far better interior, better seats, climate, cruise, xenons, etc - if you aren't worried about all that, get the 172 cup and hoon it around, but if you want all that and still a great car, go for the 182 with cup packs. Simple.

If there's no record of the belts being done and the exhaust being standard then haggle £500 (belts) + the price of a yozza system off the price :)

Could be a good car with just a gash advert really. There's been people on here taking gambles and getting great cars out of it... Fingers crossed that this is one of them :)

This is my thinking behind going to view it. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. I will certainly be looking to knock a good chunk off for the belts needing done if they haven't already been done. Can I really knock off money for an aftermarket exhaust though on the chance that the standard one will fail?

I would quite like some creature comforts so I think a 182 would be my preferred choice but at the end of the day reliability is my main criteria so I won't buy a ropey 182.

Arctic Blue 182ff
Well, if reliability is your MAIN thing, I'm not sure why you are looking at a £3k sport frenchie, if I'm honest. Comparing reliability between 172 and 182 is a bit silly also. Personally, I guess, I'd rather have an 05 car over a 02 car, but still, it's about how it's been looked after.

I've had zero issues with my 182, but then I knew I would, as I knew the previous owner of 5 years.

Haha that is a very valid point. I know all about French reliability after my old 106 GTi. After several years playing with F/I'd jap cars i can easily say that the 106 has been my most reliable car to date.

Well just back from veiwing the 182. First Impressions were good. It was very clean externally with only a few marks to the alloy and a scratch on the bonnet. Other than that it was spotless. Interior was spotless too and the steering wheel has no wear at all. However, there was no service history for the car or any proof of the belts being done. When you started the car there was a whining noise for the first 10-15seconds. God knows what it was. I took it for a drive. It was the first cliosport I have ever driven and to say I was disapointed is an understatement. The steering felt very heavy and gave little in the way of feedback. The clutch was very heavy and the breaks didn't fill me with confidence. It also felt chronically slow. It was like having major turbo lag untill 5000RPM and then it picked up slightly. Maybe I was expecting too much from it in a straight line. There was also a weird noise coming from behind the glovebox area whenever you accelerated. Again, no idea what it was.

I really hope the car I drove was a lemon because on tonights experience I cannot see myself in a ClioSport any time soon.

Seat Ibiza
Never hear anyone on here suggest a non-cupped 172.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I have a 2004 172 with everything a 182 has apart from the twin pipes, which don't really bother me, they look good but I wouldn't pay the extra £££ to get a ropey 182.

The 172 is a fun little hot hatch and I love it!

And don't be put off about distance, if you want a 182 with everything done already for £3k that your next door neighbour is selling, you maybe waiting for a long time.

Got to be willing to travel mate!

Just my two pence!

Hope you find a good'un though mate!
Look in the for sale section, there are some mint well looked after motors in there!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.851263,-3.403345

Milltek'd clio 182
Well just back from veiwing the 182. First Impressions were good. It was very clean externally with only a few marks to the alloy and a scratch on the bonnet. Other than that it was spotless. Interior was spotless too and the steering wheel has no wear at all. However, there was no service history for the car or any proof of the belts being done. When you started the car there was a whining noise for the first 10-15seconds. God knows what it was. I took it for a drive. It was the first cliosport I have ever driven and to say I was disapointed is an understatement. The steering felt very heavy and gave little in the way of feedback. The clutch was very heavy and the breaks didn't fill me with confidence. It also felt chronically slow. It was like having major turbo lag untill 5000RPM and then it picked up slightly. Maybe I was expecting too much from it in a straight line. There was also a weird noise coming from behind the glovebox area whenever you accelerated. Again, no idea what it was.

I really hope the car I drove was a lemon because on tonights experience I cannot see myself in a ClioSport any time soon.

clutches on these cars are very heavy, but i have been driving clios for 3 years and have got used to it, as for the steering yes i would also agree it can be heavy but i love it as you kinda wrestle it into corners and you feel the road, also as for the 5k kick, thats on all these clios, its nice but, i had mine remapped to smooth the rev range through out, but you do still get the little 5k kick. Weird noises and rattles i dont know what to say to that, all i can say is looking at that advert the owner doesnt really care about selling it, just take your time and dont rush into buying one, wait until the perfect one comes along. good luck fella!

Arctic Blue 182ff
Quite interesting :)

I too didn't like my first test drive, thought it was very slow. Go try another, and go in with an open mind :)

Yes, the steering is heavy, but you'll soon realise it DOES give great feedback and you get used to it's heavyness pretty quickly. Heavy clutch, again, it's a performance car, it's about right IMO. The brakes are 'proper' in that they are not over-servo'd like lots of modern cars, what you feel is what you get, no false advertising. They will never break records in straight lines, that was my first comparison and I too was bitterly disappointed. You've gotta drive them a bit :)

Try another, and take it out for a PROPER drive, give it a good amount of time. Was it cold? Mine is crap until it's warm, proper warm..

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Aberdeen is really s**t for buying cars - it's too far from anywhere, you really do struggle. I've got to be honest though, you should try to travel and be prepared to do that, to get the best car and the best deal. Also, I was talking to the guys at Clark Motorsport and they said to avoid cars North of the border, as they find the undersides are always rusty, apparently they could tell my car was 'from down south' when I got a service their last year. What are you driving at the moment?

renault clio 182
i bought my first 182 3 weeks ago and iv gota say, when i pulled away, for the 1st 30 mins it was slow as fcuk! Once it warmed up it became so much fun to drive and now i love it. It looks the nuts and im slowly adding the cup packs and a few extras. It does pull more above 5k revs but thats normal, the rattling you experienced etc is individual to that car, the 1 you went to see is over priced for a car with no service history and factory exhaust. I bought mine for £3900, 04, 60,000 miles, aftermarket piper cross exhaust system, full years m.o.t, service, 6 months tax, brand new steering wheel, belts done etc. Keep looking mate, more often than not, ads that tell you very little have alot to hide!

Good luck mate

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
that blue one on P1 has had the front bumper sprayed - see the black inserts missing

S