ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Long Term Track Car Project

Those pedals look great. I'd be left foot braking when dipping the clutch with my trotters! Pedals look great for heel and toeing though.

Tempted to push the like button, but not untill you tell what they are, and where you can buy them.
All will be reviled once it's complete, although you could probably work it out from the pic with the part number on it ?

Looking good, what’s that shifter mate? Think I need one ?
It's a Metal 2 Racing shifter (on Facebook), similar to the CAE shifter.

That shifter looks a bit tasty!
Nice neat job with the handbrake hole. What you doing handbrake wise?
Thanks, no handbrake !, don't need it on a track car ?

Search on here or google metal2 racing shifter about £330 quid so reported
Try about £460 posted ??

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I’ll have a look at that shifter, out of my price range at the moment though.
if no handbrake is there some sort of line-lock that could be fitted? Or just going to always leave it in gear/use chocks if/when needed

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Happy Friday all !!

Soooooooo, been spending a bit of time and cash recently. Got myself a Cartek battery isolator as i didn't like the pull cord jobbie. Got a rear lever bias brake proportioning valve so i can make a start on the rear brake lines. Also been purchasing switches, relays and having parts 3D printed. I'll show the 3D printed part once its fitted.

I'm tempted by one of these..... over the PMS shifter but on the fence at the mo.
View attachment 1387053

On to the dash.... I wasn't happy with it floating around between the rollcage so i've welded on a couple of brackets with a rivnut so i can screw the dash to it securely. I've already changed those silver hex screws for black dome head hex screws.
View attachment 1387054
View attachment 1387055

I've also painted the clock surround black.....
View attachment 1387056

Whilst i was welding the brackets on i decided to weld up the hole where the handbrake was (don't need it anyway)....
View attachment 1387057
View attachment 1387058

Pedals are fitted....
View attachment 1387059

And now onto the head scratching part.... Brake cooling ! I've been thinking about the best possible way to get fresh cool air to the brakes. As you can see, its pretty tight on full lock....
View attachment 1387060
View attachment 1387061

But there is a good couple of inches and so the search started for ideas and i found one which i think works.....
View attachment 1387062
View attachment 1387063
View attachment 1387064
View attachment 1387065

The routing is pretty perfect and it lines up with the fog light holes. I'm also thinking of a bit of ducting to either the disc or caliper, haven't got that far in the plan yet but just getting the air flow to that area is a massive step !!

Hehe I was looking at those duct about a month ago.. didn’t want spend what they wanted. Not this in particular but similar. Even tried make my own (melting and bending gutter pipe) but looked to ghetto to fit to a track car haha. So resorted to a slightly different solution. Will update my thread once finished
020519e2921d84949e9c981577384e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other day i decided i would start on the rear brake lines, starting of inside the car.....

20181002_134158_zpsaxjdpvg5.jpg

But then i thought nah.... i'll paint it so i can get the inside finished off. Did some masking and then started spraying with rattle cans but after 3 cans i had had enough and my finger tip was numb, plus the coverage from utter sh*te....

20181008_152537_zpsgdffeica.jpg

20181008_152545_zpst08j6okt.jpg

SO i bought a cheap HVLP spray gun and some Ford Diamond White 2K paint.....

20181009_140315_zpszw55oceg.jpg

20181009_140321_zpspsoa60kw.jpg

It's by no means perfect but for a first time HVLP spray job and it being just a track car interior it will do! Then I started the interior rebuild....

20181011_163230_zpskjqwbhne.jpg

20181011_163238_zpsgfp2uwp0.jpg

20181011_163259_zpsf7desuhw.jpg

Rollcage is fully fitted now, all bolts torqued up marked with torque/nut security paint.

I'll be moving onto wiring next before getting the car back up on axle stands for the rear end strip down and rebuild. Plus a few other goodies to fit ?

What shift lights are they dude? And any info on shifter?
Good alternative option to PMS? @AdamCup
DIY, designed myself and had it 3D printed. It houses 10x 10mm LED lights. However, i think it might be too big. Also, that's not its final resting place, it's actually going underneath where it is now.

The shifter is a Metal 2 Racing shifter from Italy https://www.facebook.com/racingM2/. As far as i know i'm the only one in the UK to have one. I bought it as an alternative to the PMS one and it looks the dogs b****cks !
20181103_131045_zpsm7bnutiy.jpg

20181108_162323_zpsrc0gmzss.jpg

Don't worry everyone...... i am still building this ?

Haven't really done any work on the car due to home DIY projects, children and hopefully a short life changing event. But i have been collecting bits......

First thing was a set of Gaz Gold coilovers, 2nd hand, 12 months old and only done approx. 600 miles. They have 600lbs springs on the front and 350lbs on the rears.
20190525_172758.jpg

20190525_172834.jpg

Now from the last pic you probably noticed a couple of other bits i purchased, 2nd hand Pure Motorsport strut brace (not pictured) with top mounts and a @NorthloopCup roll centre/bump steer corrector kit :cool:

20190523_150847.jpg

More money....... Pure Motorsport 22mm ARB, rear beam stiffening kit and front wishbone stiffening plates.

20190607_172141.jpg

I suppose the only actual bit of work I've done is rebuild the front calipers......

20190606_004335.jpg

20190606_004357.jpg

I'm itching to get back out in the workshop and get it back together. A while ago i was seriously thinking of throwing in the towel as it seems never ending but i went and sat in it and it made me change my mind. It got me proper excited about driving it and getting it out on the track.

Soooooooooo, an update......

I've been working on the rear lately, as and when I can. With the rear beam off, there was some tidying to do on the underside. Some light rust patches, gone with a wire brush, treated and then sprayed over with some Hammerite. Fuel tank refitted with new bolts. I sand blasted the exhaust mounts and got new nuts and washers. New rear beam mounting bolts have arrived to replace the original ones, I went for M10 12.9 High Tensile Allen Bolts.

20190919_180626.jpg

Next on my to do list was getting the rear beam ready for the PMS stiffening kit and black series polybushes. First job was getting the old bushes out. What a faff that was !!! I tried my bearing remover/press but wouldn't go over one end of the bush so I got out the blow torch 🔥 ! I also broke 3 drill pieces trying to drill it out :mad: but eventually i won.

20190906_123730.jpg

20190906_123741.jpg

20190906_135327.jpg

20190906_141143.jpg

Next up was removing all the old bits of metal no longer needed from the rear beam now I've gone full coilover. I was kind of expecting this to be a bit easier than it actually was, it was quite a job in the end. I thought.... cut here, cut there, grind here and grind there but NO, there's bloody welds all over it and the spring platform wraps underneath which i didn't realize ! Eventually I got it all off, ground down the old welds and in a semi ready state for the PMS stiffening kit. There are a couple of groves i need to weld up after going a bit deep (mad) with the cutting disc 🤫

Before;
20190919_180450.jpg

After;
20190923_142021.jpg

20190923_142027.jpg

And that's where I'm currently at. Once the PMS kit is on, I'll be getting it of to the sandblasters and then powder coated(y)

Clio 172 ph2
DIY, designed myself and had it 3D printed. It houses 10x 10mm LED lights. However, i think it might be too big. Also, that's not its final resting place, it's actually going underneath where it is now.

The shifter is a Metal 2 Racing shifter from Italy https://www.facebook.com/racingM2/. As far as i know i'm the only one in the UK to have one. I bought it as an alternative to the PMS one and it looks the dogs b****cks !
View attachment 1401481
View attachment 1401482
Looks Mega.. Great job

I’ve had to make a hard decision and unfortunately the time has come….. I’ve decided to part ways with my track car project. It’s been a long 3 years and I can’t see an end in sight. Family commitments, house projects, and a new job have taken priority. Plus I don't have a tow vehicle or trailer to get it anywhere. For those that have been following my project, I thank you for your support, the forum and it’s people for it’s knowledge and the interest shown. Here is a link to the sale thread for anyone interested….. https://cliosport.net/threads/unfinished-182-track-car-project.829999/