ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locking wheel nut removal...

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
So, I took off the Dynamique centre caps (naturally, there was no key for them, so I had to use a hammer and punch) and found, to my obvious(?) excitement, that there were a full set of McGard style lockers on there, of course, the ones with the spinning outer rings... So, not remembering any mention of a locking wheel nut key, I checked the boot, the ashtray, the document wallet, the glove box, door pockets, under the seats, mats etc. etc. and no key. Contacted the private seller, no key. Got the number for the previous owner, no reply. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

No space to smash a socket over it and with the spinning outer, there's little point. Got a hammer and chisel out and those nuts / outers are hard a nails. Need to have a look at drilling them but not holding out much hope. Trying to find a local place that have a clue about removing them properly but not paying through the nose for it, as even if I have to smash the wheels off, a new set are about £50.

Anyway, I now have 4 wheels held on with no real way of getting them off and no sight or sound of any key.

Now, here's the good bit. I was looking through the receipts and there's a Renault dealer receipt for some locking wheel nuts. I'd have to guess that these are the very same (based on some ebay research). I have read that renault may have some master keys for the lockers, so will try and get an answer on this.

Anyway, enough of me reminiscing. Anyone got any hints, tips or know of a place in Bristol that can sort this?

One more thing, WHY would someone bother protecting some scuffed, corroded Dynamique wheels with average tyres on... WHY?

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Turns out that removing the locking wheel nuts is a lot easier when you find the key! Had a bit of a brainwave, as all the paperwork for the car was in one of the seat back pockets, so checked in there and it was lurking! Result. I must be stupid, as naturally the place for a locking wheel nut key is the back of the seat... All removed, greased and torqued now. Also contained the centre cap key, so I've refitted those with a bit of copper grease and I'm happy now.