ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Local Knowledge Needed...

C3 Picasso Beast
Right as some of you are aware my car isn't starting and I'm now at a loss at to what to try next to get it going! I know most of you local to me are a hell of a lot more capable of doing your own work then me but what garages would you use if you couldn't fix it yourself?? I use to use Holden before I joined on here who seemed to do a decent job but they charge a fortune and probably wouldn't cope with the mods I've done to the car now. I've used cit-ren once before at Brooke but I just got a feeling with them that they were untrustworthy!?

Alternatively I'm considering getting the car taken to 519 (lucky you Dan!) but if I'm paying for that I want it done properly and safely so anyone know any decent car transporters local?? Also any ideas on how much it would cost me to transport the car 90 ish miles?? I do have RAC but currently not home start (where car is..) and I can't imagine they'd tow the car all the way to Bedford!?

I really want to get it going now ready for some track days this year as it's now been not driven for nearly two months and it's making me sad :(

Thanks in advance...

GSXR + KDX220
Hmmmm, as Danny said, whats it actually doing or not doing?

EDIT: just found your old thread about it turning over but not firing.

Have you checked that there's voltage at the injector plugs when cranking?

Last edited:
  SQ5
Mines started doing a similar thing, changed CPS and still it doesn't start sometimes. 5 minutes later its fine.

Not an immobiliser issue either?!

Trafic 140dci
Is it bringing up any faults,? i have an RS Tuner you could borrow if so.

I can only say where ever you take it in Norfolk, avoid SCA race rally in Norwich.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not firing any of the plugs at all (if that is what you mean by not firing?) isnt really going to be caused by many things.

Off the top of my head I would check:
Loom fault
CPS
Immobiliser
Some other fault registered that you can see with an RS Tuner
Coilpack gone on both sides (seems unlikely)
ALL the leads gone at once (seems unlikely)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Pain you're stuck that far away or I'd just come out and have a look

if you need to get it to me, I can arrange collection by a local guy I know well.

C3 Picasso Beast
Taken from a previous thread I started with not much luck...

"Basically the car won't start and the electrical fault/ignition fault light is on (the one with the heartbeat line..). First time it did it last week I tried it again later that day and it started first time?? Since then I've tried starting the car 4-5 times on different days and it won't start! Battery has plenty of life in it so nothing to do with that. When I tried the built in fault finding mode it was showing a t which is an injection fault from what I understand??? If it's of any help previously on a couple of occasions while the car was working when sitting in traffic the engine management light had come on and kept flashing until I got moving again when it went off."

The immobiliser light does as it should and goes off when you put the key in. I changed the TDC sensor at the weekend and although my wiring I did to fit the new connector isn't that amazing I'm hoping it's OK. Other than that I've not really tried anything else due to my crap mechanical skills and tools! I've got a code reader on the way but it's only a cheap job so that'll probably be w**k and won't really help much!

That's about all I have to offer that might help diagnose the problem...

Dan any rough idea on the cost for your guy to transport??

SQ5
Same problems I'm having except I've got no warning light. Get Lewis's RSTuner on it, cheap code readers are crap for 172's

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Taken from a previous thread I started with not much luck...

"Basically the car won't start and the electrical fault/ignition fault light is on (the one with the heartbeat line..). First time it did it last week I tried it again later that day and it started first time?? Since then I've tried starting the car 4-5 times on different days and it won't start! Battery has plenty of life in it so nothing to do with that. When I tried the built in fault finding mode it was showing a t which is an injection fault from what I understand??? If it's of any help previously on a couple of occasions while the car was working when sitting in traffic the engine management light had come on and kept flashing until I got moving again when it went off."

The immobiliser light does as it should and goes off when you put the key in. I changed the TDC sensor at the weekend and although my wiring I did to fit the new connector isn't that amazing I'm hoping it's OK. Other than that I've not really tried anything else due to my crap mechanical skills and tools! I've got a code reader on the way but it's only a cheap job so that'll probably be w**k and won't really help much!

That's about all I have to offer that might help diagnose the problem...

Dan any rough idea on the cost for your guy to transport??

don't know, he charges by the mile so i'd have to give you his number and you give him postcode details.

Don't remember if I ever asked before, but have you washed the engine at all? Flashing light is a "destructive misfire" which i've found 9 out of 10 times is water in the sparkplugs

C3 Picasso Beast
Nope not washed the engine Dan as under the bonnet is the only place I won't clean on the car incase I get water somewhere it shouldn't be or knock something out accidently!

Plugged my cheapo code reader in tonight and it's coming up with one code P0110 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit.

This mean anything to anyone as I did a search and not much came up really?? It's something to do with the MAP sensor from what I can make out??

SQ5
Changed battery today and trip thing now no longer resets when started again, also its started every time.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
may need an alternator too. Before I sold my old car to Dan, the alternator stopped regulating and was putting 20v into the battery. Nothing would turn on

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
yeah, apparently there's a safety cut off if the voltage is too high so you don't blow things up. Had no idea it existed before that. Before I found the fault, putting a jumper pack on would start the car, it pulled the voltage down

C3 Picasso Beast
UPDATE!!

Right had the RAC out today to have a look and his comments on the paperwork are;

"No injector pulse, 4 1/2 volts at the injector. Sparking OK and fuel pressure good. Possible cam position sensor/ecu/wiring problem."

I didn't tell him I'd tried doing the crank position sensor and my wiring isn't the best but that was one of the things he checked and he said it all looked OK.

Also got a price off him to transport it to 519 and he said....£280! I said f**k that's expensive and I'd think about it (lie...)! I've had a quote of £110 off someone else and they're the only other company of contacted so might be able to get it cheaper as yet.

Any other ideas then anyone. With what he told me I thought that maybe the injectors were bust but he seemed to think they weren't and that something else was stopping them working?? Where is the cam position sensor then??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They dont have a cam position sensor until they became the 197, so he obviously wasnt the sharpest tool in the box as any engine that has one its normally pretty visible.

If you have 4.5 volts at the injector then you have an issue with either the ecu or the wiring by the sounds of it. (should be battery voltage more or less at the injector positive)

The ecu pulses the earth on the injectors to fire them, so the whole time the engine is running (or trying to start etc) they should have a fixed positive, and a pulsed negative.

Crank sensor is about the only sensor that stops the injectors from pulsing completely.

Do you have a mate local with an RS Tuner? That would tell you if the ecu is seeing the crank sensor or not.

C3 Picasso Beast
He knew more than me so wasn't questioning what he was saying :eek:

Could still be my crap wiring then on the crank sensor like that!

I am reasonably local and have an RS Tuner if you need help. (Mendlesham in Suffolk)

I must say, I had a very similar thing with the 182 a few months ago.. cranking... no start... was banging my head on the wall. It had no fault codes, but I cleared them for the hell of it (cheap OBD reader back then) and Boom... ran ever since... Work that one out!

As I said, need any help, let me know.

C3 Picasso Beast
Don't worry it's been transported now and is awaiting some much needed time consuming wiring help....

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It runs!

Bit of corrosion in some wires!!
555364_477535715633588_953574454_n.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
ecu to main power relay, signal wire. it wasn't a break, the wire was corroded internally along about an 18 inch run. It was pure green right the way through every cut. I've no idea how it ran as long as it did!

SQ5
Ahh I see, must of been a right arse to find! Whereabouts in the loom was it as I'm worried mine could be going that way with difficulty starting not long ago.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
that section of loom runs from the fuse box, infront of the battery, than back and up to the ECU. I'll be honest, I got a man in whos better with wiring than me. I hate the stuff. All about who you know sometimes.

SQ5
For a job like that though its sometimes easier, pissing around with wires to find corrosion under layers of tape etc... Your better off using your skills of what you do daily and subbing it out!