ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Local Area Subdivisions (please read)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
We are looking to completely revamp local area meets over the coming weeks. The imminent arrival of the new forum platform makes arranging meetings incredibly easy and we want to take full advantage of this.

One aspect we have spoken about is dividing all regions into smaller subdivisions to encourage more members to attend. Let's call them micro meets.

The idea being that micro meets could be organised during the week and then larger meets incorporating all subdivisions could be arranged at weekends.

We would need each subdivision to have its own rep and for them to regularly communicate with the other reps to coordinate the bigger 'weekend' meetings.

What we need to know from you guys is how best to divide the areas up into actions. Does your area even need dividing up?

There will be an application process for area reps once we have everything in place.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
CS Admin

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
We pretty much seem to have a rough divide for the most part that we refer to as:

The Chester Lot
The Manchester Lot

NW has become a bit messed up over the last year or two as most of the regulars have moved from "CS Friends" to Friends so a lot of the folk from the Chester area are seeing each other throughout the week in small groups and us Manchester lot all meet up a lot etc.

Back when Ash had Roots n Shoots we'd do joint meets together etc but as most of us all see each other a lot having/organising a CS meet becomes pointless. Even when we do organise localish meets its all the usuals who are all friends anyway and maybe 1 or 2 new faces tops.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
We pretty much seem to have a rough divide for the most part that we refer to as:

The Chester Lot
The Manchester Lot

NW has become a bit messed up over the last year or two as most of the regulars have moved from "CS Friends" to Friends so a lot of the folk from the Chester area are seeing each other throughout the week in small groups and us Manchester lot all meet up a lot etc.

Back when Ash had Roots n Shoots we'd do joint meets together etc but as most of us all see each other a lot having/organising a CS meet becomes pointless. Even when we do organise localish meets its all the usuals who are all friends anyway and maybe 1 or 2 new faces tops.

Yeah I completely appreciate that but it doesn't encourage new members to attend.

We really want to encourage new members to start getting involved more socially with the club ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Completely agree. Something needs to be done as the response we get in the NW when arranging a new meet is piss poor. Nothing to do with the reps at all, just the NW seems to be very quiet these days.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Been speaking to Eddie tonight and even though we've got the Chester/Manchester split it's still a rather large area to cover between him and Ash (and I think there is also 1 more rep).

Perhaps splitting the Manchester side of things into North and South would be a good idea and then the Chester side of thing working out what's best for them (as my geography skills are severely lacking.)

Just had a quick look at this.

Im fully, fully behind this. I totally believe that I could make a better section of something half what I have at the moment, if that makes sense?

For example, the CS areas day that is coming up, we need to all get together and do something, if we do it in Manchester it's 40 mins for the Chester lot and vice versa, if we go for a drive in N. Wales, it's 2 hours just to get there for those in Blackpool, which is covered by the NW.

The area as a whole has died a death, no arguments about that and I have to shoulder some of the responsibility for that, but I would also say it's very very hard to make somewhere this size work.

I would gladly look after Manchester for example. Anywhere inside or around the M60 maybe?

One thing that needs to be considered is preventing it from being confusing, I wouldn't want people to be confused as to which area they belong, that might be intimidating for new members who don't want to feel daft going to the "wrong" meet. Communication between local reps would be vital too, to make sure meets don't conflict, and to make sure larger "group" meets still continue to happen.

So yeah, I'm in, let me know anything you want with regards to making it happen.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Im fully, fully behind this. I totally believe that I could make a better section of something half what I have at the moment, if that makes sense?

For example, the CS areas day that is coming up, we need to all get together and do something, if we do it in Manchester it's 40 mins for the Chester lot and vice versa, if we go for a drive in N. Wales, it's 2 hours just to get there for those in Blackpool, which is covered by the NW.

The area as a whole has died a death, no arguments about that and I have to shoulder some of the responsibility for that, but I would also say it's very very hard to make somewhere this size work.

I would gladly look after Manchester for example. Anywhere inside or around the M60 maybe?

One thing that needs to be considered is preventing it from being confusing, I wouldn't want people to be confused as to which area they belong, that might be intimidating for new members who don't want to feel daft going to the "wrong" meet. Communication between local reps would be vital too, to make sure meets don't conflict, and to make sure larger "group" meets still continue to happen.

So yeah, I'm in, let me know anything you want with regards to making it happen.

Agreed.

I suggested above even splitting the Manchester side of things into North and South, but when I say Manchester I mean Greater Manchester obviously as if you go from the furthest points then it becomes the best part of an hour and a half travelling for a "local" meet.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

Yeah I can't argue with any of that apart from blaming yourself for it dying a death.

It's a huge area and it's way too much for one person to make it work.

We will definitely look at dividing up the areas mate.

I'll keep you posted as to when it's all happening.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Chester and the surrounding areas aren't that bad tbh, it's small enough to be a mini region itself.

The best way I see it is the map I drew up.

But we do need an overhaul of the meetings. People seem to have just lost the will to meet up lately.

I think we need to see what the new forum brings and have more regular meets posted on the forum.

Since the the nw lot have become a decent group of friends we all seem to just send texts about to meet up like people have said. We just need to publish meets online when they start up again. I'm wanting to pull my finger out soon and start organising some meets but ive been a bit busy of late.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I've had a beverage(s) :p

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, the only thing with the Manchester/Cheshire one is it's not quite right. As Bury for example isn't Manchester, but Greater Manchester. It's kind of close though which I why I suggested splitting Greater Manchester across the middle and having South and North.

For the North, Bury becomes pretty central and seeing as there was a regular meet there at the Paper Mill we could get that back up and running again as it's a good venue for a local meet.

For the South, Trafford has always worked well so that can be used again.

Greater_Manchester_County_(3).png

From that map the sections could consist of:

North:
Oldham
Rochdale
Bury
Bolton
Wigan

South:
Tameside
Salford
Trafford
Stockport
Manchester (Central)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Unfortunately that's way too many areas. We will be looking at dividing the area up but only into 3 maybe 4 at a push areas. That map you've posted up could get split right down the middle to be honest.

I realise that the areas are still going to be quite big but we'd definitely be encouraging reps to do meets in various locations to try and keep everyone happy.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Chester and the surrounding areas aren't that bad tbh, it's small enough to be a mini region itself.

The best way I see it is the map I drew up.

But we do need an overhaul of the meetings. People seem to have just lost the will to meet up lately.

I think we need to see what the new forum brings and have more regular meets posted on the forum.

Since the the nw lot have become a decent group of friends we all seem to just send texts about to meet up like people have said. We just need to publish meets online when they start up again. I'm wanting to pull my finger out soon and start organising some meets but ive been a bit busy of late.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I've had a beverage(s) :p

Yeah post your meets up mate otherwise we are alienating any new members that may want to get involved ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
That's fair enough. But if the area's only get split into 2 or 3 it won't work any better for the NW than it already is. As I said we're basically split into two and it just doesn't work.

That's not me having a go or anything, it's just the truth, unless you can split the entire NW into at least 4 areas I can't see it working.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
That's fair enough. But if the area's only get split into 2 or 3 it won't work any better for the NW than it already is. As I said we're basically split into two and it just doesn't work.

That's not me having a go or anything, it's just the truth, unless you can split the entire NW into at least 4 areas I can't see it working.

lol I did say 3 maybe 4 areas! Keep up Rhys! lol ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
LOL. I'm talking about 4 as a minimum tbh.

The problem with anything less is you're just making up areas which becomes confusing for anyone to know where they belong to which will make the NW more of a mess than it already is.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The whole northwest into 4. So our side of things becomes North and South as does yours, although we'd need to include the almost Scottish lot. Although I don't think I've ever met anyone from that neck of the woods so maybe they don't have cars up there yet.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
The North west will probably be split into 4 in total to start with.

It will down to whoever the reps will be to make sure that meets get organised in different place to try and keep as many people as possible happy.

The reps will also be asked to encourage people to organise their own meets as well.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Do the not quite Scots not fit into anything more northern better?

Just a thought.

I think your drawing works fairly well but it would appear getting 5 areas is not going to happen.

Im in heywood and don't mind doing a little travelling but the trafford centre seems to be kinda in the middle of us lot around the bury to stockport way. New to here so unsure how close everyone is to me but id be up for some meets if people are up for it. Plus there are many parking spaces and they have krispy kremes haha :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Do the not quite Scots not fit into anything more northern better?

Just a thought.

I think your drawing works fairly well but it would appear getting 5 areas is not going to happen.

The only other thing to do with that area would be to join them with the ne making one massive region.

Or, split the far most north and the north east into 3 (west, middle, east) but I imagine that'll start becoming a problem

Okay, I've been thinking about this, and decided to put some of my thoughts on here.

The Northwest as defined by Cliosport covers the following counties:

• Cumbria
  • Lancashire
  • Manchester
  • Yorkshire
  • Merseyside
  • Cheshire

That is an area of around 12,000 square miles (depending on your data source).

For me the NW area is far too large as a start, so dividing it up needs to start on a larger scale.

In my complete opinion, the area needs redefining before it can be divided up, see below:

15097181166_688227efdc_o.jpg

In my opinion Cumbria and Yorkshire should be removed from the NW area. My reasoning behind this is:

Cumbria

This is a huge county and is one that can be difficult to travel around. It is one of the lesser populated counties in the NW and I think it might be better served if it was part of a smaller area. If you live in Barrow for example, it's a fair old mooch to go to a meet in Penrith. Both locations are within one county, so to expect people from either locations to make a 2.5+ hour drive to a meet in Cheshire, is a lot to ask, and i wouldn't blame anyone from those areas not wanting to make such a journey.

Yorkshire

There is already a Yorkshire & Humber section in addition to the NW area, which means Yorkshire belongs to two sections. That is probably fair enough as Yorkshire is a huge county. That said, if you split the Yorkshire and Humber section down the middle (along the boundary between the two for example) then Leeds (probably the most populated city in Yorkshire) sits closer to the centre of that area than it does the NW area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that redefinition made, the 'new' NW area becomes a lot more clear:

14933609337_343883936b_o.jpg

The 'new' NW area is now clearly split into 4, manageable sections.

It could be made into three easily too, with the Kirby/Wallasey/Birkenhead side of Merseyside being added to Cheshire and the Liverpool side being added to Lancashire.

Reps should be chosen based on their location on a map, we want people to be reasonably central if possible. This isn't always as clear cut and easy as that, but it's a starting point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both of the above maps are DWG versions of the Cliosport map in the NW area, so it's all based on what we have now. If anyone wants the DWG to have a play with and to make suggestions, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to send it over for you.

I hope all of what I have suggested makes sense.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
For those with about as much geographical knowledge as a fish (i.e me) what are the boundaries of Manchester and Cheshire? My brain doesn't really compute that.

For those with about as much geographical knowledge as a fish (i.e me) what are the boundaries of Manchester and Cheshire? My brain doesn't really compute that.

See below for a map of what is considered Greater Manchester

postcodes-large.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, I did assume you were going for Greater Manchester. That makes more sense as Manchester/Cheshire is a nightmare. Technically Stockport is Cheshire, as is our office in Dukinfield which is kind of on the border. It's properly confusing.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I'm thinking for the northwest to break it down but still have a slight gap between is to have one rep in Chester/Eport area, one in Manchester and one say Blackpool way?