ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Little turbo for the megane

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The joys of being a pioneer. Lol.

You could get a steel crank in a few days for most modified engines. Lol.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
How do you know it will be better? :p

I already changed the crank, rods and pistons a fair bit :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How do you know it will be better? :p

Because you havent increased the height of the block, which means you cant have made even a cm of difference to the rod length, and to get the F4R rods to a decent length you need about an extra inch in them!

I already changed the crank, rods and pistons a fair bit :)
Quarter inch or something like that?
Meh, its a start but nothing like what a 1.8 could offer.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
sodemo REDUCE the height of the block significantly but use massivley longer rods ;)

On what length throw of crank are you talking about Fred?
And how much are you talking about in terms of "massively longer" rods.
Do they use standard size bearings or go smaller as for N/A often bearing sizes can be reduced to require less height (and cut down on friction)

Lionel Richie
i only had a quick 10min play, but the rods are at least 30-40mm longer, the throw on the crank is tiny, with the big end diameter being less than half of OE

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i only had a quick 10min play, but the rods are at least 30-40mm longer, the throw on the crank is tiny, with the big end diameter being less than half of OE

Was probably a 1.6 or something then?
And paul cant really get away with tiny bearings I would imagine for his application, so those sort of tricks arent so useful on a turbo.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
I think my crank is 89mm but can't rememebr what we actually came to now as its that long ago!, i moved the pin up the piston and had the longest rod possible, the oil rings are in the pin area.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think my crank is 89mm but can't rememebr what we actually came to now as its that long ago!, i moved the pin up the piston and had the longest rod possible, the oil rings are in the pin area.

4mm is a pretty significant drop in crank throw, thats certainly enough to make a big difference to rod ratio considering you both lose it off the crank and gain it on the rod.

Should really help at high rpm :)

How far you planning to rev it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
9000+ when i go dry sump, maybe 10000

Proper epic.

Ironically would make a far better N/A engine than the pure one that is trendy on here at the moment with all the high revving parts you have!

and yet CS will no doubt dismiss its development as "oh just another turbo motor" lol

big boost cup
Proper epic.

Ironically would make a far better N/A engine than the pure one that is trendy on here at the moment with all the high revving parts you have!

and yet CS will no doubt dismiss its development as "oh just another turbo motor" lol

Not me serious epicness going on here even tho most of it is going over my head

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
It's built to flow 300hp without a turbo and higher comp pistons. It would be interesting to see what it could make with no boost tbh. Hmmmm....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's built to flow 300hp without a turbo and higher comp pistons. It would be interesting to see what it could make with no boost tbh. Hmmmm....

Always the best way to build a turbo car IMHO, build it like its an N/A to get it as efficient as possible first then add a massive blower after.

Clio 172 + 172 cup
Always the best way to build a turbo car IMHO, build it like its an N/A to get it as efficient as possible first then add a massive blower after.

I'm with that to a certain extent, but to build for high hp NA you need very low friction and very high RPM, so you end up with very long duration cams and very high lift to get the airflow. Whereas with a big turbo setup you are all about huge torgue and massive bottom end strength with extra cooling being required. To be able to cope with the boost levels you would be running lower CR pistons. So getting some good flow and having a good solid base engine is all good, but the engines will be quite different internally.

MC

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm with that to a certain extent, but to build for high hp NA you need very low friction and very high RPM, so you end up with very long duration cams and very high lift to get the airflow. Whereas with a big turbo setup you are all about huge torgue and massive bottom end strength with extra cooling being required. To be able to cope with the boost levels you would be running lower CR pistons. So getting some good flow and having a good solid base engine is all good, but the engines will be quite different internally.

MC

Milder cams and less cr kind of goes without saying for a turbo. Lol.
We were talking more about head specs, inlet manifold design etc.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Still waiting for the box finishing, unfortunately the quaife diff i bought for the 02m is different to the 02q one so i need to have a sleeve made and machined to fit the 02q bearing to the 02q diff.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Why don't you just use a 02m bellhousing mate? Iirc the 02Q housing is a tad deeper so may cause clutch problems too.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
I need to use the 02q setup because SQS Racing said i'll break the 02m with the torque this will make :(

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I have the 2 side by side and can't see why the 02m will be any weaker tbh.

afaik they're proven at over 800bhp launching with 4x4. First thing to let go is the housing around that sort of power, rips open at the bearing end.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
I think the main issue is the inlet shaft, they do a stronger one for the q but not the m

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
1003874_624028157639648_1464096103_n.jpg
Crank is here at last!

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Waiting for the block to come back and need to go collect the diff so I can have a sleeve made.