ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightweight Flywheel or not?

BG Clio 182
Think my 182 will be getting the full clutch change treatment shortly. Whilst it's all to bits, would I be silly to not put in a lightweight Flywheel? Seen as though this'll probably be the last time the clutch is out of the car and it's obviously labour less to slap it in.

I know @NorthloopCup does them at an epic price and it's this that tempts me!

What real world differences on the road am I going to notice, and is it worth the cost? The car doesn't go on track but wouldn't rule it out in a few years time. What's it gonna do for me road wise? Anyone else got one?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Worth doing whilst it's out IMO, but only if it's cheap enough. Not worth the £300 that K-tax charge. Don't expect a massive difference though, should make it a little more eager to rev. The engine won't increase in power, but the gain is 2 fold - the car is lighter overall and the engine revs a little quicker.

I'd imagine it will make the car a bit less 'nice' to drive though, it won't be as smooth and you might need to keep on the power a little more on hills etc. So if it were me, i'd stick with OE.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Quicker revving (when out of gear)
Quicker to stall
You may well want to do some ECU tweaks for the idle, as that'll be affected too.
It'll burn marginally more fuel.

If you can pick one up for pennies, sure, why not. But if it requires actual money, I wouldn't.

BG Clio 182
Quicker revving (when out of gear)
Quicker to stall
You may well want to do some ECU tweaks for the idle, as that'll be affected too.
It'll burn marginally more fuel.

If you can pick one up for pennies, sure, why not. But if it requires actual money, I wouldn't.
Ah right mate.

Just had the car mapped at RS TUNING so wouldn't fancy that. Might leave it. Looking at 250 ish quid for the flywheel so ill probably leave it then.

Sounds more of a track car kina thing then really.

Listerine & Poledo
pretty much.
The JDM Miata (UK 1.6 spec) boys love their flywheels, their faster revving 100hp makes them feel like a drift king. Thing is, for low-torque engines ion particular, all you're doing is needing to burn more fuel to keep inertia up once you're moving.
If you're only ever accelerating and braking, fine (maybe). But if you drive at a steady pace (for instance, when you're just driving, not trying to be Chris Harris) then you need to pour more fuel into the flywheel to keep it spinning. Where a heavier unit will keep itself going.

BG Clio 182
pretty much.
The JDM Miata (UK 1.6 spec) boys love their flywheels, their faster revving 100hp makes them feel like a drift king. Thing is, for low-torque engines ion particular, all you're doing is needing to burn more fuel to keep inertia up once you're moving.
If you're only ever accelerating and braking, fine (maybe). But if you drive at a steady pace (for instance, when you're just driving, not trying to be Chris Harris) then you need to pour more fuel into the flywheel to keep it spinning. Where a heavier unit will keep itself going.
Very well worded.

I get you. Very popular with the Rx8's too but think they have a great dual mass thing that takes an earth to spin. Big difference then I suppose.

It's a weekend car but I don't want it to become unusable. It's a loud little thing and I love it despite it being a wanker mobile. I don't want negative feelings towards the drive of it or no one will ever wanna go in it haha.

Listerine & Poledo
Thank you. I do try (when people are listening)
RX-8s had to do something just because of their low-torque, high-revs nature.
Diesels have the opposite though, not enough revs, massive torque, so dual mass is needed to prevent them cavitating so hard they pull themselves apart. Of course, there are ways around that too.

Listerine & Poledo
That's a good thing, I hate excess weight

EFA :)

If a CS hardcore puritan (no names, but they were on here only today) has to take a passenger, do they remove the rear bench, speakers and AC?
Because cornerweights y0