ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lens spec - help!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm looking to get a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens for my D90 :)

Sigma have this in 2 different variations, one with IF EX DG HSM and the other with EX DG Macro

Am I right in thinking these are exactly the same only for the focus motor?

Trev

Completely different construction etc, aside from being the same focal length and speed they don't share any parts. The HSM one focuses internally (i.e. the lens doesn't physically change size when focusing), whilst the original Macro one will extend to focus.

HSM Spec
Macro Spec

HSM one being the better of the 2 then I'm guessing?

...and about twice the price iirc. Build quality aside (from what I've read the HSM has a more professional construction) I doubt many people would notice the difference day to day.

"Navy" N17 TWO
YES - first thing I noticed was the price hike! lol

For an everyday fast lens & taking candid shots, group photos and maybe some close-ups which one to pick? hmmm

172 Cup
I nearly went with the Sigma lens however decided to opt for the Tamron 28-75mm after reading some very reassuring reviews.

I kept a close eye on ebay for the Sigma/Tamron but kept getting outbid last minute therefore bought new from onestop-digital.com.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I bought the non-HSM version for around £200-250 second-hand and it's alright, can't match my two Canon lenses in terms of contrast and resolving fine detail, but I do love the focal range. It's quick to focus as well, even without the HSM. I think I'll be selling it soon as I prefer primes, but not much use to a Nikon user. :) Would I recommend it? Well tbh I don't like Sigma, but unless you're loaded and/or can justify paying the extra it's not worth going for the Canon or Nikon equivalent.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah indeed the Nikon version of this lens is crazy money! Hence a third-party lens

Anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in detail or image quality between the 2 Sigma ones?

I use the 24-70 HSM varient on my 5D2 and its a class lens however on a crop body it will be lacking at the wide end. you'd probably be better off with the sigma 17-50 f2.8 HSM OS (new one just relased) obviously it depends on how much you want to spend lol.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Completely different construction etc, aside from being the same focal length and speed they don't share any parts. The HSM one focuses internally (i.e. the lens doesn't physically change size when focusing), whilst the original Macro one will extend to focus.

HSM Spec
Macro Spec

If the Macro version of this extends to focus then surely that would make it harder to get close-ups rather than the internal focus on the HSM, or am I being silly? lol