ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leeds/Yorks based 172 wanted for chipping (v cheap!)

Elise/VX220/R26
I have a friend who is setting up doing ECU remapping. He's already doing deisels, VAG and BMW but is now doing renaults. I have a fuelling remap on my 225 which is being tested tomorrow, but already has given a nice little bit of extra poke and increased fuel economy. He's looking for a 172 to test a new ECU map on. The remaps are loosley based on the ones that superchips use although the maps he gets are always the latest european files, not just copies of the first available one which superchips keep for use on all future cars.

Car must be based in Yorks area preferably near Leeds as thats where the garage is. The car will be remapped and tested by the voulenteer then you'll be invited for a rolling road session where the map can be tested back to back with your standard ECU

Normal price for it is likley to be £350+ but if your willing to contribute £85 and use of your car thats all this forst one will cost. This includes a key locking the remap to your vehichle (ie it cant be copied and used on any other car) and also the rolling road testing.

PM me if your intrested

Thanks

Elise/VX220/R26
possibly, I'll ask but I think the file he has is for a 172, I'd guess theres a difference with the 282 having different intake manifold etc

Elise/VX220/R26
I though thte R Sport was just a normal remap? You need a piggyback like a dastek to have mapping easily adjusted

MKIII 138
jonnyboy said:
I though thte R Sport was just a normal remap? You need a piggyback like a dastek to have mapping easily adjusted

doh ! id just settled on the Rsport, i was under the impression BBPT could remap whilst you waited to take into account your mods + smooth power output and increase rev limiter.

hmm dastek where would i get one of those thingys.

problem is the rsport looks identical to stock ecu, straight swap this is good for ins purposes and warenty work.

Elise/VX220/R26
Update on this for you, len_beach has had the map put on his 172 today, I'll let him fill you in on the details!

Regarding 182s the answer is yes there is a file available for the 182, Guys let me know if you'd be intrested in having your 182s mapped

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Evening boys and girls. Just got on after having the car done.
Paul and I went out for a quick spin after the map was loaded. We had the air con on and there were 2 of us in and the car was noticeably quicker than standard, 1 up with no air con.
On my way home, no air con and on my own, I tested it a little more. The car is much quicker than before especially after the power band kicks in.
The original map was good for between 10 and 14bhp but my car wouldn't start on this so my original map was sent away for fettling.
Paul isn't too sure on what gains we will get until we have it rolling roaded but it is a definite improvement and well worth the cash.
Top bloke as well.
I'll keep you posted as to how the RR session goes.

Elise/VX220/R26
Paul looked into that problem with the first map Ben and we found out that your ECU is actually different to the oneslisted for the 172. I would assume thats either because you have a 172 cup (Is it s silver cup you have?) or maybe because its a 51 reg changover model and somehow you've ended up with an ECU that wasnt used on some of the newer ones.

The other map thats for the normal ECU type is actually probably even more aggressive than the one you have one, and that one increases the rev limiter even higher to 8,200 wheras the one you have I think goes to 7,500?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
It's not a Cup John as I have leather etc but it is 2002 51 plate. I think it may also be an import so that may play a part.
I terms of the redline, I initially thought it was set at 7250 but having driven home, I believe it may now be 7500 - I prefer it this way as I can't blow it up LOL.
All in all though, it seems to be a good map with smooth running, no flat spots and a good power gain.
I just need to 'test' it a bit more now.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Usual price is around £350. Not sure if he needs a test map Ben but I can aske next time I speak to him.

MKIII 138
so i wanna get my 172cup mapped what gains can i expect with no other mods but just by altering the fueling ???

Elise/VX220/R26
maybe 10bhp but the difference really is more aggressive power delivery and the increased rev limit

Elise/VX220/R26
well 10 is what the chip manufacturers software predicts but as we know those gains tend to be optimistic, but the benefit is felt in the power delivery on the 172. A decat is a good mod on the 172, I did it on mine. Frees up some power in the middle of the range. I'd imagine that a decat and chip will give you 14 second 1/4 mile times in a cup (ask Chris n nic!)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
meggerman said:
wow cant belive 10 from my cup from a remap but im game for a laugh, anymore from say adding a decat ?
My next mod after the rolling road session is a decat, even though it will be stupidly loud. I'm hoping with my exhaust, panel filter and airbox mod alongside the remap I will achieve 185bhp with 190bhp after a decat, though the RR session will give me a much better indication as to what I will achieve.
Pauls tuner reckons his original map is good for 10-14bhp but Paul is more likely to quote 10bhp as anything over and above that is a bonus. My remap is based on my original map which has been modified to suit a slightly unusual ECU so the gains are as yet unknown though I am hoping for around 10bhp. Regardless of numbers though, the car is much quicker.
Meggerman, if you are interested in the map mate, I can take you down to Pauls. I can also show you my airbox setup, even though it is relatively simple.

MKIII 138
len_beach said:
My next mod after the rolling road session is a decat, even though it will be stupidly loud. I'm hoping with my exhaust, panel filter and airbox mod alongside the remap I will achieve 185bhp with 190bhp after a decat, though the RR session will give me a much better indication as to what I will achieve.
Pauls tuner reckons his original map is good for 10-14bhp but Paul is more likely to quote 10bhp as anything over and above that is a bonus. My remap is based on my original map which has been modified to suit a slightly unusual ECU so the gains are as yet unknown though I am hoping for around 10bhp. Regardless of numbers though, the car is much quicker.
Meggerman, if you are interested in the map mate, I can take you down to Pauls. I can also show you my airbox setup, even though it is relatively simple.

sounds good, send me a PM or date and time and il bring my cup down aswell to compare

Elise/VX220/R26
after Bens car has been rolling roaded I'll put a post up with some good offers on the first 5 or 10 upgrades to be done.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Any news on the RR John? I've text Paul but he's not been back to me yet.
I had a look under the bonnet tonight and noticed that the oil breather pipe which runs to the inlet elbow was actually off on the block end.
I refitted this and took the car out and it is amazing.
It pulls like a thai ***** over 5200 with the new 7500 redline, it's madness.
Looks like I might have another 172 lined up John once he's had a quick spin in mine. I'm sure we could persuade Meggerman as well.

Elise/VX220/R26
yeah well as Paul's new to the 172s (Although he's being doing VAGs for a while) I'm sure he'll come up with a deal for the first few. Theres obviously no doubt that its a really good remap but we hope to get a rolling road booked in the next week or two as we think we have cracked the megane ECU (250+bhp) so we want to dyno that as soon as poss

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
We'll have to get a list of interested parties once mine has been remapped.
When did you get the Megane sorted? Should be a beast if it it runs.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Hi Guys, thought i'd join and introduce myself. Been testing the megane today and so far so good! The remap is from the same tuner that supplied me the software for len_beach's car so hopefully all should be good. I will be trying to book the rolling road tomorrow so hopefully we will have some good results very soon.

Just to clarify for the other clio's my tuner has advised he can tune pretty much anything with an ECU! so 182's and V6's are no problem.

Cheers

Paul

Elise/VX220/R26
I have the ECU upgrade on the 225 now, its running 15 psi over the standard 10psi so its all good. Running 15PSI is something that superchips, Dastek. Ktech, BB Tuning etc have not been able to achieve as yet so just to give you an idea on how credible Paul's upgrades are. He has access to the latest remaps that the likes of Superchips etc probably wont see for another year or two yet.

MKIII 138
yea im wanting this is it still £250 ? i can get it done next month or month after.

also cant wait to see what happens in respect of the 225, there`s a chav with a focus RS thats needs a pounding near me, obviously id have to buy a megane first lol lol :D

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Not sure if the decat can be mapped in Meggerman but I would like this if it is an option.
I can give you a shout to confirm the RR if you like and you can come along for the ride and see how the car gets on.

Elise/VX220/R26
Prices not confirmed yet but I've spoken to Paul and we might be able to do the first 5 for something like £275 just to get the word spread. Having other mods like decats is no problem. The map is not specifically taylored to mods but the mods will only help what the map is already doing by increading airflow either in or out of the engine

Re the 225 we will be doing this at the same time as Bens 172. Me and Paul are both running a remap that dishes out a meaty 17PSI over the standard 10PSI so we're conservatively looking for 255 BHP from just the remap