ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing a custom map

Clio 182
Hi,
I'm hoping someone might be able to confirm my thinking on this...
I've seen a used 172 cup that I'm considering purchasing. The owner tells me it has 2 engine modifications: a remap and an induction kit, but these were done prior to his ownership, and I don't think he knows the car's previous history very well.
Unfortunately the remap is pushing the insurance quote beyond reach for me. I don't know these cars particularly well yet, but why would you have it remapped if the only change is an induction kit? Do aftermarket induction kits actually make much difference on these cars, or are they mostly a cosmetic upgrade? The owner is suggesting reversing the remap.
If there are hidden internal modifications to the engine, I assume that it wouldn't run well on the original map and prolonged use wouldn't do it much good? Would it need putting on a rolling road to confirm the standard map is right for the engine?
If it turned out there are internal engine modifications, I won't be able to insure it anyway.
Apart from the remap and suspension / steering rattles and knocks (don't mind getting my hands dirty with those), the car seems pretty good.
Thank you!

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Very doubtful there'd be any internal work, If there was I'm sure at least one of the previous owners would make a point of it! Remaps are usually done after just induction and exhaust as gains can be had in driveability (smoother power delivery, smoother running etc)

Reactions: Don