ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED TV

1.8 Civic EX
I want one...budget of up to £500

Looking at either the Samsung UE40C5100

or the LG 42LE5300

I still get confused with all this TV business but they way i see it with these two is...

LG is 2 inches bigger and is 100hz but it's side lit LED

Samsung is 50hz but is back lit LED (which I'm led to believe is better??)

Any sugestions or comments on the above two or even any alternatives?? Will i really even notice the difference between the 50hz and 100hz?

Will be the main TV for the lounge but will also have the 360 hooked up and at somepoint a Blu-Ray player too, mainly sd TV for now but will be using the free to air HD channels.

1.8 Civic EX
No-one have any experience of these then?

I've been reading that the Samsung is actually 120hz as it has some sort of internal processing (clear motion?!?) that adds an extra frame to make the movement on screen smoother??

Octy VRS
You want a back lit one really. Side lit is just that so it can be slightly lighter round the edge and blacks aren't great.

1.8 Civic EX
thats what I thought, cheers.

Anyone else got any thoughts or even own one of the above? In particular the Samsung?

182FF with cup packs
I've got a UE46B8000 which is edge lit, I've seen many places advertising that as backlit.

It's an advertising thing, as they call edge lit TV's LED backlit. What you actually need to do is ask which LED backlight tech they are using.

From http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

Full-array without local dimming - The LED equivalent of CCFL backlit.

Edge-lit without local dimming - All Samsung LED TV's use this with the exception of some more recent ones which are edge-lit with local dimming

Full-array with local dimming - The best you can get quality wise.

Edge-lit with local dimming -
Samsungs UNC8000 series

So, in conclusion, if it says LCD Backlit, find out if it's actually Full-Array or not. The rule of thumb will generally be though, If it's a super thin TV, then it's more likely to be edge-lit

1.8 Civic EX
perfect thank you!

How do you rate the one you have? am I right in thinking that the UE**C**** are newer versions of the UE**B****?

1.8 Civic EX
Are you just wanting LED as its thin? If its not going on a wall then thickness makes little difference. You will pay over the odds for most LED over other tech.

find me 40inch LCD thats as good as or better than the samsung for £500 and I'll be tempted but yes i want it due to its size, energy efficency, it will be going on the wall and from what i've seen personally i feel generate a better picture (possibly due to the higher contrast ratio due to the leds??).

Last edited:
  1.8 Civic EX
lol for the size of the room a 50" is just not an option and i don't like the idea of plasma tvs either...for some reason that i don't know why i simply don't like them...

Mito Sportiva 135
What about the LG pk350, 50" plasma? It's the slightly cheaper version of mine and has a stunning picture. Can be got for around 500 and is only 5cm thick!

Do you have the LGPK590 then? That's the model I'm looking at buying. You rate it highly then if so?

Mito Sportiva 135
Cool. Seen it for just over £620 on Amazon now which seems reasonable for a decent 50" TV I think.

Do you have a surround system for it? I've got a good component stereo, but it's only 2 channell and also analog input. I've got it hooked up to my Samsung LCD and sounds great still, but a "proper" 5.1 surround system is tempting me...not sure which ones are good these days?

Mito Sportiva 135
£600 is pretty good! Hoping the price drops a bit in January...but with the VAT increase maybe it won't?

My stereo cost me over a grand 7 years ago...so want to get the most out of it. The speakers are really good. I could probably get rid of the MD component though! Much as I loved it!

Leon Cupra 300
Have a look at buying from Costco if you know anyone with a card.. Limited selection but every tv comes with a 5yr warranty, worth quite a lot imo.

1.8 Civic EX
whats the difference between that one then (UE40C6000) and the one i posted (UE40C51000) other than the freeview HD? surely that isn't worth the extra £100? must be more to it...

Ph-Sold!
Next series of model up so some different internals, looking at them side by side the picture was much better with the UE40C6000, plus the brushed metal base with transparent stem is awesome

Just ordered the UE40C6510 for my new place, it look pretty good hope it looks as good on the wall.
Was only after the 32", but then i found the 40" at about £100 cheaper than the 32", so its hard to say no!

Ph-Sold!
Tim what do you make of the 6000 series samsung? I'm thinking of getting the 46" LED version....

The picture quality is excellent with a bit of tweaking and the definition and clairty on HD and BR is superb, we have the 40" one is plenty big enough for our lounge without being blocky on SD content.

Extreme meg250
I have just bought the 46" samsung, pretty impressed with it so far. What tweaks have you made on the settings?

I personally dislike the base I preferred the black but I wanted the 100hz refresh rate so went with it but it's slowly growing on me.

Extreme meg250
I'm not massively clued up on TV's but yes I would, picture is very good (watching rugby ATM on HD2 very good) it is very slim and looks awesome backlight lights on the remote are a cool touch as well.

As you can see technically I'm a little clueless but for what I need and understand it's very good.

1.8 Civic EX
you guys that have the LED Samsungs, have you noticed any "clouding" on black scenes? I've seen some pics on the net and some reviews saying that it's quite bad on these...

Maybe I'm worrying too much and should just go an buy one lol

Extreme meg250
Can't say I've noticed mate. Will no doubt be looking for it now ha. Watched 300 last night and the picture was superb!!

I'll report back with my findings!

Wayne

Polo + Micra
I've got a UE46B8000 which is edge lit, I've seen many places advertising that as backlit.

It's an advertising thing, as they call edge lit TV's LED backlit. What you actually need to do is ask which LED backlight tech they are using.

From http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

Full-array without local dimming - The LED equivalent of CCFL backlit.

Edge-lit without local dimming - All Samsung LED TV's use this with the exception of some more recent ones which are edge-lit with local dimming

Full-array with local dimming - The best you can get quality wise.

Edge-lit with local dimming -
Samsungs UNC8000 series

So, in conclusion, if it says LCD Backlit, find out if it's actually Full-Array or not. The rule of thumb will generally be though, If it's a super thin TV, then it's more likely to be edge-lit

the old samsung f96 range was full-array led backlit with local dimming

Ph-Sold!
you guys that have the LED Samsungs, have you noticed any "clouding" on black scenes? I've seen some pics on the net and some reviews saying that it's quite bad on these...

Maybe I'm worrying too much and should just go an buy one lol

clouding seems to be an issue with US made (and sold units), noone I've come across has had issues in the UK with them AFAIK

dk

911 GTS Cab
clouding is an issue with any brand, its luck of the draw whether you get one with or without.

i have a sony without, its a perfect set and i am reluctant to buy a new 3D set because I don't want one with clouding the next time.

dk

911 GTS Cab
No-one have any experience of these then?

I've been reading that the Samsung is actually 120hz as it has some sort of internal processing (clear motion?!?) that adds an extra frame to make the movement on screen smoother??
thats just what 100 hz is, inserts extra frames.

120hz is actually for the US, uk runs at 50, which is then doubled to get the 100, US is 60 hz so their tvs are 120hz.

1.8 Civic EX
cheers guys

I picked up the ue40c5100 last night. First impressions are it's very good, not 100% on the pic quality but we have just moved into a new place so it's just standard tv through the roof ariel at the mo so it isn't going to be great anyway. Sky man coming round this afternoon to get some HD goodness :)

The xbox looks very good and the response time is spot on which I'm very impressed with. Must say I can't tell any difference between having the "motion plus" on or off tbh.

Loving the Picture in Picture too. The cam on the entry-phone to the block of flats is tuned into to one of the tv channels so I can bring that up and see whos at the door on the TV :)

If anyone has any ideal picture settings etc that wants to share then feel free! I've tried some from the AVForums site but not that impressed. Also would anyone recomend having game mode on or off when using the 360?

Last edited: