ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaving the clio parked up

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hello. Maybe not so much clio discussion as it covers most cars but fack it!

I'm banned, my insurance expires today and it'll be out of tax soon aswell.

It's currently still whole, battery is still connected etc.

It'll be sitting until March now unless I sell it, is there anything I should other than start it up now and then?

Cheers

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I parked mine up outside for 18 months, all I did was pimp the tyres up ( I couldn't even turn it over because the aux belt was frayed) and it was fine, apart from a sticky brake caliper.. I would start it once a week if possible, and move it backwards/ forwards.

How long are you banned for mate?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Alright that's fine then! Yeah I've got a decent driveway so ill be able to shift it back and forth to keep everything moving weekly.

I got a 6 month ban at the start of this month so I've got another 5 to go!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
No, it's for totting up. Got myself 15 points so had to get a ban, if I do it again it'll be a year minimum :eek:

PH2 172
Best left parked in gear rather than with the handbrake on.Run the aircon when you start it up,and run the engine up to full temperature.Try not to park on the same tyre patch.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
How does the system work once you have served your ban?

The dvla send out a form to fill in about 5 weeks (if you're a low risk offender) before the ban is up.

High risk offenders (drink drivers mainly) get a form sent 3 months before the ban finishes.

If you drive without having sent the form back you end up driving not in accordance with license. That will end up being more points or another ban.

clio 182 trophy
The dvla send out a form to fill in about 5 weeks (if you're a low risk offender) before the ban is up.

High risk offenders (drink drivers mainly) get a form sent 3 months before the ban finishes.

If you drive without having sent the form back you end up driving not in accordance with license. That will end up being more points or another ban.
Thanks mate. Do his points then go back to 0?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Best left parked in gear rather than with the handbrake on.Run the aircon when you start it up,and run the engine up to full temperature.Try not to park on the same tyre patch.
Yeah its currently sitting in gear, and it's a cup so no air con. Cheers!

Yeah I think the solicitor said ill get a form a month or so before my ban is due to finish. He also said ill get a clean licence back which is a bit of a bonus out of it all!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Haha no its not like that, I got a letter after court just going over the case and it says ill get a clean licence back, and the next time I go over 12 points within 10 years or something then the minimum ban will be a year, rather than the 6 months I got this time.

I've only had my points for a year so to get rid of them is quite good.
Sunglasses_Ron do you know if I'll still have to declare 15 points for so many years? Or is that them gone for good?

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Strange question, but obviously your car is still insured I take it?

I'm not sure how it works but is your car still covered 3rd party for other drivers if you have a ban?

If so, get someone you trust to take you out for a lengthy drive in it every now and then just so everything gets used.

PH2 172
No the insurance runs out today.

I think the insurance is invalid if your on a ban anyway.If you have a friend with a traders policy,they could drive it for you.
Can you get theft only insurance,just in case?Otherwise disable the car by removing the fuel pump relay.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Is it really? Should still be third party surely? My brother was driving it about and my mate so I hope not haha!

There's not a very high chance of the cat being stolen as I live in a really quiet area, full of old people that like to look after their gardens. I guess I could do that to be safe though!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye i meant like my brother would sill be covered 3rd party fire and theft seeing as I'm still paying the insurance?

Bloody phone keeps changing words on me, car is what I meant, obviously :p

PH2 172
Aye i meant like my brother would sill be covered 3rd party fire and theft seeing as I'm still paying the insurance?

Bloody phone keeps changing words on me, car is what I meant, obviously :p

Sorry,i just couldn`t resist that.Unless your brother is a named driver he is not covered by your policy.Even if he is,I suspect the policy is void as you as the policyholder currently don`t have a licence.He cannot drive it 3rd party on his own policy,as the car must be insured by the owner for that to be valid.He could always add your car to his policy possibly?He does not have to own it to insure it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd just leave it be.

Make sure your key unlocks the doors and then take the battery out. Lock it with the keyfob/blipper and the bonnet open (finger on the alarm sensor) so the car is secure then d/c the battery.

Pump tyres up or put it on stands.

Getting the engine up to temp is just going to fill the exhaust boxes with water - also running engines at low RPM doesnt' do them any favours as the oil isn't getting splashed about properly. Unless you're going to run it for half an hour at a time to get the water and oil up to temp then rev the nuts off it for a while to clear the exhaust and the whole street at the same time :eek: just leave it alone. It's 6 months not 60 years ;)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok well seeing as it's not legally insured, it'll be sitting where it is haha.

Thanks for the replies lads.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Getting the engine up to temp is just going to fill the exhaust boxes with water - also running engines at low RPM doesnt' do them any favours as the oil isn't getting splashed about properly. Unless you're going to run it for half an hour at a time to get the water and oil up to temp then rev the nuts off it for a while to clear the exhaust and the whole street at the same time :eek: just leave it alone. It's 6 months not 60 years ;)

Ah, so that's why my A3 spits out loads of water when I rev it. It's been sat for about 8 months, has been turned over and left to warm up to 90 every couple of weeks.