ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Learning Photography

Clio 197 RB
I have had me camera for about a year or so and have taken quite a few photos, but they are nowhere near the standard in the Picture thread on here. I would like to grasp how to use ISO, Aperture, Depth of Field etc.

How have some of you guys learnt? Photography lessons? Youtube? Books?

I just want to know the best way to learn.

Thanks
Warren.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Read the stickies on here, then use it.. and then read the stickies.. and use it more.

And then use it some more....

Take pictures of the same thing - such as a toy on a table in your kitchen .. keep moving one setting, such as shutter speed, and see what it does to the photo.

You'll soon figure out what's good and what's bad. There's no 'right' thing to do as such..

Work out how to get pictures looking how you want them to look / expect them to look and then work on composition.

Post up some examples and ask for criticism if that's what you want.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Read the stickies on here, then use it.. and then read the stickies.. and use it more.

And then use it some more....

Tbh, this should be the first thing people see when they come into the photography section.

@Geddes went on a course and had some luck with that.
I learnt by using the camera and looking on Flickr at images I wanted to replicate so checking exif info etc and trial and error.

YouTube is good, especially when it comes to editing.

koi

Audi S1
I went on a evening course and picked it up, nothing beats trial and error though. Advantage of digital is it's so cheap and can take as many pictures as you want.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I had my DSLR for years and not knowing how to use it. I started a small class learning the very basics like ISO aperture and shutter. Then onto leading lines and composition and so on. Did this once a week for 3 months. This was just a local guy who's been doing this for years and it costed £45. It did defo help me but going out every day for an hour or whatever just playing about at different times of the day and at different light situations playing with the settings is the best way. Took me many months to finally understand what it all meant. As Aaron said YouTube is a good way there's many channels you can watch and learn. I've learned a lot too by watching YouTube. I'll post up a few channels I'm watching at the minute. KelbyOne is a really good one especially The Grid.

Only been doing this since january and still got a fair bit to go

Clio 182 Track Car
I bought a book series written bu Scott Kelby and really learnt alot from them. But i learnt more from putting the theory into practice and cocking it all up.

Cayman S Edition 1
I learnt as I went along. Looked at the type of shot I wanted to create and worked out how it was done.

Now its all gathering dust;)

Clio 172
I'm still learning, the hardest part is getting to grips with the ISO, Apertures and shutter speeds. Once you get your head around how to balance the three you will be spot on.

I read a little bit and got people to tell me bits and bobs, but I learnt the most by picking the camera up and taking pictures. The issue I have with taking lessens, reading stuff and listening to how other people take pictures, you will end up copying them! I have developed a style that I like, I am forever being told its over processed or the colours aren't natural. Its criticism I can take because I know they aren't like everyone else's, that's why I took it the way I did and worked on it post edit like I did!

20205986553_0ea8835bb1_k.jpg
IMG_0415 by Jack Mason, on Flickr

20471763006_0504931f88_k.jpg
IMG_0078-Edit by Jack Mason, on Flickr

20497311456_49e302fbf7_k.jpg
IMG_0038 by Jack Mason, on Flickr

19616110164_390c831887_k.jpg
IMG_0121 by Jack Mason, on Flickr

19671971015_47b07863bd_k.jpg
IMG_1852 by Jack Mason, on Flickr

19259174240_081d0855ff_k.jpg
Sunbeam Slide by Jack Mason, on Flickr

19230771640_2fae21b46e_k.jpg
Evanta Barchetta Under Wraps by Jack Mason, on Flickr

Once you find a style you're happy with, keep fine tuning it!

Take the camera with you, anything that looks good, grab it out :)

I found picking a subject and learning how to master it helped. Moving water I started with, found it easy to see how each mode on the camera changes the outcome :)

Clio 172
Would love to see the RAW of that one Jack, great shot. Curious on the post-production, is all. The clarity of the shadows is great.

OP -> as most people said, trial and error. Ban yourself from using auto mode and play around.

Once you find your style, embrace it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamlstr/albums Mine are here.

That's the RAW image. :) There is a fair amount of adjustment brushes, healing, cloning and graduated filters involved! Was taken at Goodwood FOS this summer, biggest issue with shows like that is composition... its impossible to get a clean shot that doesn't need lots of cutting and chopping. Note the bloked head as he blindly walks into shot!!! 😂

Evanta%20Barchetta%20RAW_zpszgyslq1c.jpg

Reactions: C.J

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs4S07E5NC0R7pVuzBJ0e8Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJ7r70nIWRe0mJ2lp7NAsA

Here's 2 links to have a look at. Mike Browne channel is really good to know basic stuff on ISO, aperture and so on. The Scott Kelby channel is awesome only just found out about this channel a month or so ago. The Grid as i said is really good. They do an hour or so on talking to pro photographers and they often do special episodes where they critique on job bloggs photo's and they tell you what's good and bad about it and tell you how to improve the photo which i find really helpful.

@wozza182 what sort of photography do like doing?

Clio 172