ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaky selector shaft seal? Look in here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So, with the jc5 suffering from a leaky selector shaft seal, I've been looking very closely at what can be done to stop it and also a reason as to why it leaks.

I'm pretty confident that I've now found out the reason why! It's a box strip to fix it properly though unfortunately.

Here's a screen shot of the item that's required:
image.png
Item number 6 and 24 are what's required (it's the same thing) and if you look closely you will see that in the dotted lined box there's a bush with 'x2' next to it. These are the cause of the leak!
They are a bush that the selector shaft sits in and they wear out allowing play in the shaft. This in turn makes the seal become egg shaped when selecting gear - the play has to go somewhere, so the seal takes one for the team. I've measured one for movement and found it had almost 1mm lateral movement back and forth!!

This is more than enough to make the seals integrity impaired, which allows the oil to pass through.

Here's the part number for the seal and bush kit - £18:19 from your local Renault dealer:
image.jpeg

Hope that's of some use to you guys and gals! :up:

dan's cast offs.
i've got an idea on how to fix it without stripping, not tried it yet but will be giving it a go over the next few weeks when i get a bit of spare time...could end up as a complete disaster though but worth a try.

Clio 200 Raider
nice post mate ive got the same issue ive cleaned it up and seems ok at the minute but i suspect this will need doing i found a kit on ebay after trawling the history on here before you posted this but thats more expensive. Looks like trip to Renault on the cards, cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
nice post mate ive got the same issue ive cleaned it up and seems ok at the minute but i suspect this will need doing i found a kit on ebay after trawling the history on here before you posted this but thats more expensive. Looks like trip to Renault on the cards, cheers
The extra costs come from the necessity to remove the gearbox and then it needing to be stripped down to replace the seal mate. But, I'm pretty much 100% confident this will rectify the issue. That TND b****cks, I'm not so confident in.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well found Mark.
You know me Tony, always looking at stuff! Lol! Got some interesting things in the pipeline. :cool:
think i've got that covered...assuming it is fitted from the outside of the box? not thought about that bit yet??
Yeah you fit them through where the selector shaft sits mate. The shaft has to come out. No other way unfortunately.

Nice one @NorthloopCup

Good info to have as I suspect my 'box will soon be in need a rebuild and, as with them all, suffers a leak from the selector shaft seal.
This is what the forums all about to me! Finding issues like this and helping other members out.

I guarantee pretty much 100% NO other box builder changes these bushes. They'll just fit the spurious seal that's available off eBay etc.

Do it once, do it right. That's how I roll. :wink:

dan's cast offs.
with the box out it's easy enough but just want to work something to save taking it out just to sort an oil leak.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
as yoda said
There is no try, do or do not! ( I use that on apprentices )

I'll finish the cup for you in a day, cable ties gaffe tape and a 4lb hammer, no guarantee on the quality of the finish mind.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I'll give you that, it is pretty near perfection yours, I've got the 8oz tapping hammer if you prefer, i'm good with that

Clio Sport 2.0 16V
Yep they're the ones. Combine that with a worn plastic selector bush and it adds load to the bush everytime you change gear.

Any chance you write working guide for this job? Would be helpfull for peoples who dont have experiences with box dismantling ;) My is leaking quite a lot and since I've never taken one apart my only chance is outsourcing this job what is not what I like :/ BUT, with right quide I believe is not rocket science... :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Any chance you write working guide for this job? Would be helpfull for peoples who dont have experiences with box dismantling ;) My is leaking quite a lot and since I've never taken one apart my only chance is outsourcing this job what is not what I like :/ BUT, with right quide I believe is not rocket science... :)
Very unlikely mate as you need special pullers to remove some of the gears.