ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Latest Nurburging trip.. rode with GTR's test driver, :boink:ed on track at Flugplatz

172 ph1
We had originally planned to go for all 3 days of this long weekend, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and took the Tuesday free to go to Phantasialand theme park, but we went for bowling and barbecue with a bunch of friends on Saturday so we left Brussels Sunday afternoon. Turned out to be a good decision because the track was crazy crowded this weekend and Monday was actually the best day.

The bushings on the car had been changed quite recently, and I went for an alignment on Friday. I thought the car was totally ready, and then the exhaust silencer fell off just before we set off! The car was painfully/embarrassingly loud as a result, and I had to be careful each time I passed the ticket barriers, because car which are too loud are not allowed on track. Luckily I was never noise tested on either day.

On the way there we briefly joined a convoy of Mustangs, lead by a C6 ZR1, Viper GTS, and a few Shelby GT500. We would come across them later on the track, mostly going slowly.

IMG_6412.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg

some other cool cars that I saw:

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

IMG_6422.jpg

After we arrived in Adenau, we checked in to our hotel, and got to the track entrance at 16:30. It seemed we arrived at the end of an extremely long track closure. We were later told that it was due to a particularly bad accident, and a biker had died on track. We had a large ice cream until the track opened again, and managed just 1 lap before there was another track closure.

At that point we decided to call it a day and went to meet Dirk Schoysman, test driver for Hankook, Nissan, Jaguar, Aston Martin... cousin of my mom's best friend. He wanted to take us for a lap but it was hopeless considering the traffic, so we decided to go for dinner in the village he lives in, Barweiler. As he went to greet a few friends in the restaurant, I realised one of them was Sabine Schmitz - turns out she lives in that village of 500 inhabitants too.

It was funny when I saw him in the chopped version of this picture on OT. He's the only European test driver in the GTR testing team, the other 3 are Japanes.:

gt-ring1.jpg

I asked him about the 24 hour race from the weekend before (he finished 11th with a 350Z out of the 200 odd cars), and he told me that finding your way round in the dark isn't as difficult as I imagined, that the only really difficult corner is Schwedenkreuz (where the Ferrari Scuderia went off, possibly with Schumi driving at the time), as it is taken at 210~220km/h in the race car, and there's very little light there (the track also drops away from you as well). We later had a drink at his house with one of his colleagues/friends, who instructed for Porsche club Finland that day but only managed 16 laps in total, despite being on the track all day.

IMG_6403.jpg

Monday 1/6/2009 will probably remain the best day of 2009. In the morning, we each had a lap with Dirk in his 350Z before he had to leave for work, which was a real eye opener - it was obvious that he was driving very much below his limits, very gentle in his driving inputs and extremely smooth, so much so that there was little "sensation" even though it was obvious that he was lapping very quickly. I managed 9 laps during the day, during which I saw some crazy accidents. A really large accident happened in the afternoon when a shower came down, a few cars were involved and they spilt grass/dirt all over the track.

Some pictures of the Clio in action:

016_3839.jpg

016_5519.jpg

20090601touri0755.jpg

IMG_9701.jpg

IMG_9702.jpg

Touris120020090531.jpg

img_1393.jpg

We had dinner in Adenau that evening at Italian restaurant Pinnochio, and I found another ClioSport.net member's car. Unfortunately I didn't find the owner.

IMG_6424.jpg

After dinner we went for a walk.

IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6431.jpg

On our way back to the hotel, we somehow found the entrance to the spectator spots for Flugplatz. We even managed to find an opening in the fence, so we walked on the track a while. Before heading back, we did what any young couple would have done. We did it like they do on the discovery channel, left a wet spot right where the Corvette's landing :clown:

vbgaragephp7gk.jpg

Tuesday at the theme park was an anticlimax in comparison

Clio 172 RS2
Re: Latest Nurburging trip.. rode with GTR's test driver, :boink:ed on track at Flugp

Damn that Electric Blue 'Vette ZR1!!! -hubba- -hubba-

You got true 'love' for the track... LOL

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Latest Nurburging trip.. rode with GTR's test driver, :boink:ed on track at Flugp

PMSL @ wet spot

Awesome pics, sounds like a fun trip :D

BMW E30 325iiiiii

u scored on the 'ring!!!! ur my new favourite person!!!

Porsche Boxster987S

awesome. Im desperate to go:(

Si

RS Clio 172

great pics bud :)

SQ5

Awesome write up :) Can't wait to go to the ring! I now want to take abird that would love to do it on the ring - in the ring just to take it that little bit further! :p

Definitely legend of the month though!

pinniochio! awesome pizza's!

good photo's mate

172 ph1

Hope that other ClioSport member shows up sometime :)

I tried asking a few of the people at the restaurant if they were the owner or knew who the owner was but had no luck :(

Perhaps the owner was there but didn't want to talk to me as my car sounded so chavvy with the silencer missing :clown:

LY R26

great pics thats Fad's 182 you spotted iirc

Lionel Richie

you had boom-boom-ding-ding on the ring? top man! :D

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Good read that!

I think i speak for all when i say...

Pics of Sabine? lol

Cupra

Nice write up and FLOL at getting down and dirty on the ring!

"Navy" N17 TWO

Awesome pics :D

E90

I once went to have a look at buying Dirks old Primera car, to use as a drt, hoping some of his talent might rub off LOL

182 Cup

Awesome. I saw you there, didnt know you were a member. The blue 182 was Fad off heres. He was in my group, id have been with him at the time in Adenau. Did you see my 172 Cup at all?

182 Trophy (#27/500)

Legend!! Good read!!!!

172 ph1

I once went to have a look at buying Dirks old Primera car, to use as a drt, hoping some of his talent might rub off LOL
yeah it's amazing how smooth he is behind the wheel

he was talking me through the entire lap too

he now has a 350Z and a Renault Master van
Awesome. I saw you there, didnt know you were a member. The blue 182 was Fad off heres. He was in my group, id have been with him at the time in Adenau. Did you see my 172 Cup at all?
Cool!

I don't remember seeing yours in Adenau, but I might have seen yours around in the main parking - is it the blue cup with small chrome "cup" badges?

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo

IMG_6412.jpg

i saw this in Luton 2 weeks back or something like that.. sounded awsome was stupidly loud

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Great write up. Great trip too!

182 Cup

Yeah mines got cup badges on the doors. Here I am...

Touris040820090530.JPG

172 ph1

Ah I definitely saw it then, I remember pointing it out to my fiance "hey look that's a cup"

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.

You banged your misses at the ring?!?!? Lol! Legend!

182 Cup

Another pic I found of you...
DSC05268_1.gif

172 ph1

thanks! :cheers:

edit: just noticed the expression on your mate's face haha

182 Cup

Brilliant! What a place to propose! Congrats!

fad

Clio 182 FF

IMG_6424.jpg

20090601touri0888.jpg

Hi mate

Certainly was me, I do beleive we were in Pinochios too! I did see you drive past me in Adenau with yours crash hat on! By the time I realised it was you you had gone! Planning on returning in October this year as the summer Tourist days are too busy and far too many accidents.

This happend to my mates type R at the ring.....

n508059772_1878205_2464496.jpg

4444_86768094772_508059772_1878180_368284_n.jpg

4444_86767909772_508059772_1878179_5200435_n.jpg

n508059772_1878181_5860859.jpg

and finally home after 400 miles with Gavin the Tec owner who took the whole thing well

4444_86768504772_508059772_1878202_6514333_n.jpg

Will write a proper ring trip report at some point :)

172 ph1

Oh no! Poor guy.

There were some pretty bad accidents this weekend. A biker died on Sunday, and I heard about an accident where a Mini couldn't brake and hit 3 bikes like bowling pins. I personally saw a crashed Clio (black), and a huge accident when it showered on Monday afternoon, where a Nissan Silvia (uk plates) went off around Wipperman/Brunnchen and spread grass/dirt all over the track.

I probably had my helmet on in Adenau as I quite often take the Adenau entrance :)

Hope to see you on your next trip. I was hoping the owner (you) would finish dinner before us and planned to talk to you when you returned to your car as we were sitting under that canopy thing outside and could see the cars. Unfortunately we finished first so we were off for a walk up the Adenau spectator area.

Last edited:

Thought I replied to this thread ages ago! Awesome shots, there's some pretty decent cars there.

fad

Clio 182 FF

great pics thats Fad's 182 you spotted iirc

How on earth did you know that! I never post pics lol!

I will let you know when I am next going mate as I am still pretty much a novice despite this being my third visit! (first for the Clio) after 3 laps I was starting to recgonise bits of the track but need more track time shame I dont live as close as you!!!

What are the chances of getting spotted out there I dont ever get spotted in the UK :eek:

172 ph1

How on earth did you know that! I never post pics lol!

I will let you know when I am next going mate as I am still pretty much a novice despite this being my third visit! (first for the Clio) after 3 laps I was starting to recgonise bits of the track but need more track time shame I dont live as close as you!!!

What are the chances of getting spotted out there I dont ever get spotted in the UK :eek:
haha

not a bad place to be spotted at :)

182 Cup

On sunday I witnessed a horrendous crash involving two bikes and a bmw, its quite possible one of the bikers died in the accident. Quite simply, shocking.

Great write up and I can't wait for my trip there next weekend! I have never been there before so will be great to lose my Nurburg virginity!

I won't be shagging on the track though! My mate who is my passenger is a fat northerner with a beard!!

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

cutie little clio! i want 1

172 ph1

Found a shot of the Clio dicing with 2 MX-5s :D

There was a Miata club of some sort there, and most of the drivers didn't seem to know the track very well, but these 2 were quite fast. I was with them for around half of the lap, and compared to the Clio they were slightly slower on the uphill stretch due to the power deficit, but faster in the fast corners such as the one where this photo was taken

IMG_0784_J.jpg

IMG_0785_J.jpg