ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

latest addition to me Cup, MB shortshifter

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have one of these franx as well, I love it I did a review about a year ago on it. Its the ORIGINAL design before every company started copying it, pisses me off!!

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
  RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
I have one of these franx as well, I love it I did a review about a year ago on it. Its the ORIGINAL design before every company started copying it, pisses me off!!

Hi Greeny 172,

Have you got the clutch pin as well or not? The design is pretty good, you never have to lean to forward while shifting, as for the others you have to.

Alper

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
No defo not using the pin, was advised by Maurice not to use it with our weak gearboxes!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Can you get these from a uk supplier lads? Gone from the GTI with a shortshift and i do notice it!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Can you get these from a uk supplier lads? Gone from the GTI with a shortshift and i do notice it!

K-tec sell the exactly same designed one, even though MB Performance designed it from scratch :/

RS RIP

order overseas ? Groupbuy going on as i understand...(MB Carperformance)

i also will have to get a pic up here do'nt i ;)

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
here is mine

22002203.jpg

RS RIP

yeah, it's sad. well done Maurice, you made a great product which really looks like Ok-tec has copied and is now selling for more money than you're asking :mad:

I have studied both products (the pics of both!) , can't be a coincedence.

hm.. makes me think about the low boost turbo kit, copied ?

Last edited:
  RS RIP
i would think the MB one is better. They designed it 4/5 years ago and no one has faulted it yet. I would'nt know if the copy uses the same materials and are produced with the same standard.

I want to say that i'm assuming all of this copy-ing is going on by "hear-say" . BUT(!): when for example looking at the two shifters it is pretty clear that the MB one is copied. The Okay-Tek one look/is an exact copy of the genuine MB one :nono:

MB Carperformance give a LIFELONG guarantee on the thing, do the others ?

Black 172 PH2
Sorry for double post, just looked at both shift kits.

If you actually look at the pictures properly you will see there not exactly the same, as you claim.
They are similar, i give you that, but not an exact copy.

And on the low boost conversion, im sure K-tec being a tuning company and all had never thought about doing a low boost kit! and just copied BM's one lol.:rolleyes:

You could look at any tuning company and say they copied this and another company copied this.
Its inevitable that things will look similar when there designed for the same car.

RS RIP
^^ both of you are pretty much right, but the design of the gearstick (the angle, bearing etc) just seems to not be something they came up with themselves when looking at the much earlier designed MB one.

And K-tec seems like a good place to get your stuff, bit pricey, but they have a good afterservice . I have experienced this firsthand when ordering from them overseas .

sorry, it was late and might have over-reacted on the copy-cat thing (which is happening a lot)

Mondeo TDCI 130
Right, i fit mine saturday! Impressed with the reduced throw, but it is overly stiff imo to change gear?!

What are yours like? i am going to remove it to investigate at the weekend!

M

mini-valver

I've already told you Kev, its ust how they are!

Only idea I had was put some heat on the joint (The main pivot which circlips in) to burn some of the teflon (presume thats what they use as most do) away to free it up. BUT I'm a man and use my caveman strength to change gear, mrs Kev loves my arms ;)

Mondeo TDCI 130
No kev, imo its ruined!!! stiffer than my knoooob when mrs lazy kev is tooting it? lol!

if i cant sort it out i will put it back to standard!

M

mini-valver

Get some heat on the pivot, thats the bit thats stiff. Well, on mine anyway.

Mrs Kev toots good BTW.

RS RIP
Right, i fit mine saturday! Impressed with the reduced throw, but it is overly stiff imo to change gear?!

What are yours like? i am going to remove it to investigate at the weekend!

Mine was exactly the same when fitting it ! Do'nt remove it or heat it up !

You need to loosen the nut a bit that connects the shifter to the selector-rod(?) ; it is too tight. You do'nt even need to take off the heatshield to reach it ! Just pull on the selector rod untill you can see/reach the nut through the hole in the heatshield

I called Maurice about this as mine was feeling the same and he told me to do this, mine is all smooooothe now !! I went for a few runs in between to find the right adjustment ; loosening and tightening to find the right feel. Easy peasy as you just have to jack up the car and take a number 13 tool (wrench?) and fiddle through the hole in the heatshield.

Done !! :D

RS RIP
Possible to use the clutch pin without the knob to reduce throw by a satisfactory amount?

the pin can be used yes. This actually shortens the throw the most , but so much that your synchros wo'nt be able to keep up and will eventually break things in there

M

mini-valver

^Lies. If you're ragging it into gear, any Renault box will break. Short shifters dont necessarily improve gear change times, you can only change as quick as you can work the clutch. Its just so much nicer on track to feel the gearchange and not have some floppy inprecise piece of crap linkage in your hand.

RS RIP
^Lies. If you're ragging it into gear, any Renault box will break. Short shifters dont necessarily improve gear change times, you can only change as quick as you can work the clutch. Its just so much nicer on track to feel the gearchange and not have some floppy inprecise piece of crap linkage in your hand.

Mate, he is talking about the clutch PIN that is an optional with the gearstick . The pin shortens the throw by up to 45% ! The pin is the actual thing that really shortens the shift , the gearstick itself shortens it a little but not that much.

Not lies , facts from the guy who designed it ;)

And you can kill your box/synchros by shifting quicker than your clutch action, easy

Tav

Clio 197
Shifter = 25-30%
Shifter with pin = 45-50%

So would it not be the case that:

Pin on it's own = ~20%

It is only 62 euros on it's own...

RS RIP
Shifter = 25-30%
Shifter with pin = 45-50%

So would it not be the case that:

Pin on it's own = ~20%

It is only 62 euros on it's own...

I know on the Dutch Renault forum a groupbuy was going on for just the pin . So i'm guessing you could go for it !

M

mini-valver

Dude, I have both fitted. The pin shortens it by half is complete nonesense, I fitted the lever first, then the pin aswell. The pin made it tighter, I wouldnt say it massively shortened it.

If you change quicker than you work the clutch you're both a)Retarded and b)Going to break the box wether you have a short shift or not.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Mate, he is talking about the clutch PIN that is an optional with the gearstick . The pin shortens the throw by up to 45% ! The pin is the actual thing that really shortens the shift , the gearstick itself shortens it a little but not that much.

Not lies , facts from the guy who designed it ;)

And you can kill your box/synchros by shifting quicker than your clutch action, easy

Will investigate tomorrow! Thank you!!

PS : Ignore mini valver, he likes an argument!:cool:

RS RIP
Dude, I have both fitted. The pin shortens it by half is complete nonesense, I fitted the lever first, then the pin aswell. The pin made it tighter, I wouldnt say it massively shortened it.

If you change quicker than you work the clutch you're both a)Retarded and b)Going to break the box wether you have a short shift or not.

How do you like the added pin ? No troubles ?

And where does it go exactly ? Easy to mount ?