ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

laptop help

polo, here for lols
hi guys and girls,
got my 21st coming up, going to be asking for a new laptop.

mac book pro is an option, but not sure if want a mac.

Being a student/researcher it has to have loads of memory, i also like to run alot music creating software, which uses lots of processing power and ram, let me know what you think i should get.....

Ask yourself if you want to spunk £1K+ on a MBP?

Yea, they look good. However, the new Windows 7 is easily as good as OSX and you can pick up a better specced laptop for the money.

They're not that expensive. But you get what you pay for.

It's not easily as good at all. It's not even close.

1.4 Dynamique
MBP are second to none in my opinion for music production, Its the industry standard then again you can get a more powerful windows 7 laptop for less.

I wouldn't have touched windows vista and got a macbook around a year ago, espically with music production software I reckon it was too buggy and unstable.

Windows 7 is a different league now though and has run perfect for me ever since the BETA version.

Formally Clio 182

LOL, just to compare...

Macbook Pro
Screen Size: 15"
Price: £1627.73
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4 GB
HDD: 500 GB

Acer Laptop
Screen Size: 15.6"
Price: £429.99
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 500GB

I know which one I would go for and price would be a huge factor considering the specs are the same if not better on the Acer.

To be fair the MBP has a better CPU there. But it's not even an i7/i5 core? Core 2 Duo is old hat now. As for x2 Athlon, well... thats even older.

Formally Clio 182
Yeah but I wouldn't spend more than £1k for a slightly better processor.

Daylight robbery that.*

*I actually have a MacBook rofl. At the end of the day he asked for advice so I will be honest.

Formally Clio 182
HP do some pretty good laptops too tbh. I was impressed by the HP TouchSmart laptop in PC World the other week.

I have had Windows 7 installed for around a month now. Hasn't slowed down at all. Boot up times are still great and the desktop is loaded instantly. Alot of it is user error, however windows 7 has everything built in being more user friendly - so you don't even have to install s**t that would clog it up.

Titanium 182
Wait for the MBP refresh which should give them i5 i7 CPU's they are vastly overpriced ATM but that's because apple don't change their pricing so they are priced for last years market when core 2 duo's were more high end.

OSX is far superior to windows 7 and that's coming from a (so far) lifetime windows user. Plus the notebook itself in terms of quality puts most windows notebooks to shame, and you don't have to uninstall all the freeware b****cks that comes on most laptops.

Nissan 350z
Ok so dont choose an Acer. But thats the beauty of Windows platform it isnt a monoplosiation and there are plenty of brands to choose between.

Vaio, Acer, Asus, Dell. Lots to choose from really and in terms of hardware, you get more power for your money by avoiding MBP.

Titanium 182
My dell recently told me I had used my battery to its specified life span and that I should purchase a new one from dell if I wanted my laptop to be portable anymore. Now if I unplug it from the mains it instantly turns off like a desktop PC. I bought it 2 years ago.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you can afford a MacBook - go for one of those. I'm personally no fan of the Bitten Fruit at all, but there's no denying that as a small, useful and capable laptop, the standard MacBook is a very good device indeed.

Whether or not it justifies the price hike over a decent PC-based laptop is entirely your own decision. If you can look beyond logos, brand image and marketing - I'm sure you'll find the piece of kit for you.

I would never (myself) buy a PC-based laptop for more than around £600. But that doesn't even get you on the bottom rung of MacBook ownership and we've got one of those in our house. Horses for courses, as they say. Jain loves the Macbook and it does everything that she needs it to easily and simply. That's not to say that a Windows 7 laptop couldn't do the same though! :)

D.