ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop advice, heavy processing.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Currently looking for a new laptop.

I do a lot of photography editing which was fine on my older laptop as that was the only thing I did on it.

But I'm now undertaking an engineering degree so will be using CAD/CAM as well as producing engineering projects for my work place.

Can anyone recommend me a laptop that will fit this bill?

Thanks

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Does it have to be new, or just new-to-you? If the latter I'd have a look at used Dell Precision machines. Bought by a lot of corporates, values not that great because to most of joe public they're just a laptop but they're built like battleships and tend to have good specs.

My current machine is one with a Core i7, 16Gb RAM, nVidia Quadro. It gets used for some fairly heavyweight data processing work and has always been rock solid.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Pick one up second hand from here.

https://www.europc.co.uk/

That where all ours come from and we are dealing with much bigger stuff than engineers.

That looks like a good shout.

My work place currently use Lenovo laptops instead of having towers in the work place.

Tbh I think the higher price systems would be a bit OTT

I would like to use it as a normal system for home etc would be nice too.

I have a £1000 budget, I have been looking at the i7 processor units at the usual PC world etc.

Tbh I would use a separate hard drive to save memory from now on too, as my old Toshiba satalite pro is slowing down massively now.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Just check that your's doesn't follow that ridiculous trend of soldering memory to motherboards. Apple started it and I've see HP following suit. You might have 8GB now, but unfortunately that is what you'll be stuck with - assuming this is the case?

I checked this and others have increased RAM very easily,
Simply plug and play from what I have seen, I did think about that as 8GB is within the limits of CAD/CAM but more intensive software maybe used in the future and it may need to be increased for it.